The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2007 Selbach-Oster Zelt. Schlossberg "Schmitt" Spatlese

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:26 pm

albany, ny

WTN: 2007 Selbach-Oster Zelt. Schlossberg "Schmitt" Spatlese

by Salil » Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:55 am

Incredibly dynamic, changing with time in the glass and unravelling slowly to show herbal, floral, smoky and saline notes underneath bright apple, lime and melon flavours and a mass of slatey and rocky minerals. Just an amazing wine to sit with over a couple of hours - this kept changing every few minutes, one moment a mass of apple and flowers, the next feeling like a lime margarita with a kick of salt underneath. Absolutely stunning - elegant, perfectly balanced, long - I need to get lots more of this. Wow.

[Note to David - you nailed this one. Tomorrow when I drive up I may have to detour by Table & Vine and see if there's any left! Buying restrictions be damned...]
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: 2007 Selbach-Oster Zelt. Schlossberg "Schmitt" Spatlese

by David M. Bueker » Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:23 am

I thought you would like it. Better to call T&V. I think it's all gone.

You have hit on the aspect of the Schmitt that so captivated me in December: its ever-changing personality. When I tasted the wine in June it was stunning and delicious, but in a more straightforward way. That is frequently the case so early on, as the timing (and frequently the tasting conditions) is not so great for the young wines. The key for me is that in a mass-tasting of about 150 German Rieslings, it stood above the pack. Fast-forward to December, and all the nuances are revealed one after another. It's as if upon each sip another door is opened.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:38 am

Sounds great, I'm opening this tomorrow alongside the 07 Schlossberg Spatlese *, and interestingly enough my local shop no longer has the spatlese * but they do have more of the Schmitt, if I need to avail myself of it..
no avatar
User

Chris Newport

Rank

Wine geek

Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:19 pm

by Chris Newport » Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:35 pm

Rahsaan,
Please post the notes on the * and Schmitt if you get a chance... I am very curious...

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:26 pm

Chris Newport wrote:Rahsaan,
Please post the notes on the * and Schmitt if you get a chance... I am very curious...

Will do. In fact, I just opened the bottles and they are both very delicious :wink: