The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Moet & Chandon Brut Imperial NV

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bruce Hayes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:20 am

Prescott, Ontario, Canada

WTN: Moet & Chandon Brut Imperial NV

by Bruce Hayes » Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:15 pm

A Chardonnay-Pinot Noir blend.

Good frothy mousse when pouring. Many streams of fine bubbles in the glass.

Dark yellow in the glass.

Medium weight, toasty, green apple, lemon, nutty, light notes of overripe fruit, good acidity, crisp.

Drying and mouthwatering on the finish.

Very clean and refreshing. A very nice champer and a good example of a NV with a bit of age.
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

Re: WTN: Moet & Chandon Brut Imperial NV

by Cynthia Wenslow » Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:25 pm

This is actually available at our specialty grocer. I'll have to look at the price next time I'm in there.

Thanks for the note, Bruce.
no avatar
User

Keith M

Rank

Beer Explorer

Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:25 am

Finger Lakes, New York

by Keith M » Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:46 pm

Bruce Hayes wrote:A very nice champer and a good example of a NV with a bit of age.

Did you age it, and, if so, for how long?
no avatar
User

Bruce Hayes

Rank

Wine guru

by Bruce Hayes » Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:33 am

Hi Keith.

I didn't really age this myself. It was a gift from about six to eight months back. Am assuming-guessing the NV wine has a bit of age to it due to the flavours. I may be wrong.
no avatar
User

Dave Erickson

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:31 pm

Asheville, NC

by Dave Erickson » Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:45 am

Keith M wrote:Did you age it, and, if so, for how long?

Bingo! Every now and then the Brut Imperial wins a blind tasting, usually because it's been sitting somewhere for a couple years.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:33 pm

Cynthia Wenslow wrote:This is actually available at our specialty grocer. I'll have to look at the price next time I'm in there.

Sure it's not the White Star? Moet makes the slightly sweet White Star specifically for the American Market, I understand, and it's much more common here than the Brut Imperial. In fact, I don't recall seeing the Brut Imperial here before.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:48 pm

Jenise wrote:
Cynthia Wenslow wrote:This is actually available at our specialty grocer. I'll have to look at the price next time I'm in there.

Sure it's not the White Star? Moet makes the slightly sweet White Star specifically for the American Market, I understand, and it's much more common here than the Brut Imperial.

Jenise, White Star has now been renamed "Brut Imperial." As that change happened only fairly recently, I don't think that Bruce's bottle could be that old.

Mark Lipton
(not a fan)
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:12 am

Mark Lipton wrote:Jenise, White Star has now been renamed "Brut Imperial." As that change happened only fairly recently, I don't think that Bruce's bottle could be that old.

Mark Lipton
(not a fan)

Really? But the White Star's just an Extra Dry where the Brut Imperial is, well, brut! I would think they'd not rename it so much as drop the White Star period in favor of the Brut, but according to their website that's not happened yet. For the U.S. market, they show only the White Star only (well, along with the Nectar Imperial).
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Dave Erickson

Rank

Wine guru

Asheville, NC

by Dave Erickson » Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:59 am

Mark Lipton wrote:
Jenise wrote:

Sure it's not the White Star? Moet makes the slightly sweet White Star specifically for the American Market, I understand, and it's much more common here than the Brut Imperial.

Jenise, White Star has now been renamed "Brut Imperial." As that change happened only fairly recently, I don't think that Bruce's bottle could be that old.

Mark Lipton
(not a fan)

This is almost correct: For reasons beyond the ken of mortals, Moet appears to be retiring the "White Star" name; it will now be sold as "Imperial." There will also still be "Brut Imperial."
no avatar
User

Dave Erickson

Rank

Wine guru

Asheville, NC

by Dave Erickson » Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:32 am

I have found a couple references to "Imperial," formerly known as "White Star." If this is really true, it has to be the craziest marketing move I've ever heard of, especially since Moet has a press release out touting its products as the "official Champagne" of the 2009 Oscars, and making note that "White Star" is the best known Champagne brand in the U.S. I cannot find any official statement from Moet Hennessey about changing the name.

I am totally mystified. I tried to query the Moet USA website, but it keeps timing out...
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:59 pm

Jenise and Dave,
Check out this offering from Morrell & Co. Yes, it's the same packaging as what was formerly White Star. Dave, I think you're right that it's only labeled "Imperial" to distinguish it from the true (i.e. low dosage) Brut Imperial, but notice how Morrell lists it. Perplexing move, indeed!

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:01 pm

So has anyone ever had the Nectar Imperial? I don't think I've ever even laid eyes on a bottle. What do they sell for?
no avatar
User

Bruce Hayes

Rank

Wine guru

by Bruce Hayes » Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:08 pm

Jenise wrote:So has anyone ever had the Nectar Imperial? I don't think I've ever even laid eyes on a bottle. What do they sell for?

It is offered for $65.80 (Canadian) here.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:24 pm

Bruce Hayes wrote:
Jenise wrote:So has anyone ever had the Nectar Imperial? I don't think I've ever even laid eyes on a bottle. What do they sell for?

It is offered for $65.80 (Canadian) here.

Hmmm...I would have expected more. Interesting.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:35 pm

Remember what happened the last time the Nectar Imperial came up for discussion on the old (beige) WLDG...
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:40 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Remember what happened the last time the Nectar Imperial came up for discussion on the old (beige) WLDG...

Not the details...but wasn't and unsolved mystery involving someone named "Brenda" involved? Actually, until that episode came about, I'd never even heard of the Nectar Imperial and at first took the reference to be a mythical wine. Now I've heard of it, but still haven't seen it.
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:53 pm

Jenise wrote:
David M. Bueker wrote:Remember what happened the last time the Nectar Imperial came up for discussion on the old (beige) WLDG...

Not the details...but wasn't and unsolved mystery involving someone named "Brenda" involved? Actually, until that episode came about, I'd never even heard of the Nectar Imperial and at first took the reference to be a mythical wine. Now I've heard of it, but still haven't seen it.

http://www.compleatwinegeek.com (upper right corner, being drunk au naturel by my Doppelgänger Oleg)

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:12 pm

The Nectar is indeed a real wine, though not one I'd purchase. I prefer low (but not non) dosage. Pretty easy to find on East Coast.

White Star to me has always been "wine for people who don't LIKE wine, but want to show they'll spend $30 a bottle"
no avatar
User

Dave Erickson

Rank

Wine guru

Asheville, NC

by Dave Erickson » Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:13 am

Okay, I've been asking around, and here's what I've heard: Moet is dropping "White Star" because it has down-market connotations. One source told me that Moet was disturbed at White Star's popularity among African-Americans. That's not all: It is also being nosed around that Louis Roederer is going to rebrand Cristal, because of its iconic popularity among rap musicians.

For once, I am speechless.
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:10 pm

Dave Erickson wrote:Okay, I've been asking around, and here's what I've heard: Moet is dropping "White Star" because it has down-market connotations. One source told me that Moet was disturbed at White Star's popularity among African-Americans. That's not all: It is also being nosed around that Louis Roederer is going to rebrand Cristal, because of its iconic popularity among rap musicians.

For once, I am speechless.

Wow. Just.... wow.

Mark Lipton