The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Lots of stuff from France and USA

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jay Labrador

Rank

J-Lab's in da house!

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:34 am

Manila, Philippines

WTN: Lots of stuff from France and USA

by Jay Labrador » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:52 am

Notes from dinner at Restaurant 101. This was supposed to be a First Growth dinner but was severely downgraded due to the unavailability of some participants.

Tulloch Verdelho 2007 - Compliments of Chad, the restaurant manager. Creamy nose. Sweetish but with a bracing acidity for freshness. An easy, friendly wine.

Trimbach Seigneurs de Ribeaupierre Gewurztraminer 2001 - Strong lychee aromas. Light sweetness with a dry, bitter finish. Oily texture. Spicy. Good weight and complexity. A real classic. Excellent and ready to drink.

Domaine Saier Corton Les Marechaudes 1er Cru 1986 - Good fruit on the nose but no fruit left as far as flavor goes. Still some tannin. Probably should have been drunk up 15 years ago. Dead.

Domaine Chateau du Marsannay Ruchottes-Chambertin Grand Cru 1996 - Good color. Much darker than I expected. Sweet tobacco nose. Strong tannin and acidity and there's a bit of fruit underneath that but it's already very muted. Barely alive, unfortunately.

Dom Perignon 1999 - The Champagne flutes arrived late so we had this after some of the reds. Light, slight coffee. After an hour, some fresh baked bread aromas. A little short on the finish. A good Champagne but these really need something like 15 years on them before they start to get interesting.

Beringer Private Reserve 1995 - Cork protruding a bit. Very dark. Spicy, fragrant, vibrant wine with some obvious tannin in need of softening. Very dry. Cassis. Classic Cabernet. Close to perfect but could probably improve a bit more with another year or two in the bottle.

Chateau Leoville Barton 1999 - I thought the Beringer was really good until I tried this. Extremely dark. Deep aromas. Sweet fruit. Initially soft and round but gained power with exposure to air. Dried herbs. So elegant and just about perfect now.

Navarro Gewurztraminer Club Select Late Harvest 2006 - Medium gold. Sweet, rich, apricot, marmalade. The richness of this wine obscures any varietal character. Excellent.
Last edited by Jay Labrador on Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Three be the things I shall never attain:
Envy, content, and sufficient champagne.
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

Re: WTN: Lots of stuff from France and USA

by JC (NC) » Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:04 pm

I, for one, would be happy even with the "downgraded" choices.
no avatar
User

Marc D

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:44 pm

Bellingham WA

by Marc D » Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:23 pm

I think I have a couple of those 1999 Leoville Bartons left, will have to pull one and try it soon.

Where is the 1997 Verdelho from? Do they usually age that long?
Marc Davis
no avatar
User

Jay Labrador

Rank

J-Lab's in da house!

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:34 am

Manila, Philippines

by Jay Labrador » Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:02 am

Marc D wrote:I think I have a couple of those 1999 Leoville Bartons left, will have to pull one and try it soon.

Where is the 1997 Verdelho from? Do they usually age that long?

My mistake! It's 2007 not 1997. Tulloch is from Hunter Valley. Thanks for the catch.
Three be the things I shall never attain:
Envy, content, and sufficient champagne.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:12 am

This is likely the year that the 1999 Leoville Barton hits its stride. It has more guts than many 1999s, and has seemed rather reserved compared to its brethren. Some have taken that reserved character to mean that it's an uninteresting wine, but I never believed that. Thank you Jay for the update on Barton's progress. I will now put a bottle in the mystical "queue" to see where it is from my cellar of vinous stasis.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:38 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:This is likely the year that the 1999 Leoville Barton hits its stride. It has more guts than many 1999s, and has seemed rather reserved compared to its brethren. Some have taken that reserved character to mean that it's an uninteresting wine, but I never believed that. Thank you Jay for the update on Barton's progress. I will now put a bottle in the mystical "queue" to see where it is from my cellar of vinous stasis.

I took one to a dinner a few weeks ago that John S and Bill Spohn also attended, and we had divergent opinions on the current state of this wine. Bill didn't think it was ready and furthermore wasn't sure where it was going, where I liked it better and felt certain the wine's still improving. Here's a link to the thread:

http://www.wineloverspage.com/forum/village/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=21522&p=184184&hilit=1999+Leoville+Barton#p184184
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:54 pm

So clearly I need to drink one.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:19 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:So clearly I need to drink one.

Si. Of course, at the glacial pace your cellar goes, you're probably a year behind me. :)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov