The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: NV Graham Beck Methode Cap Classique

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: NV Graham Beck Methode Cap Classique

by Jenise » Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:05 pm

From South Africa, the NV Graham Beck "Methode Cap Classique" bubbly is a big surprise. Made from a 50/50 blend of chardonnay and pinot noir and left in bottle for two years before release, it pours a surprisingly rich honey gold. Nose and palate are a big bodied mixture of tangy stone fruit--nectarine came to mind, red apples, just-baked bread, sweet cream butter, toffee and a dash of nutmeg. On the palate, satisfyingly deep with uncommonly rich body and creaminess. The texture's right too, with very fine, precise/lively bubbles and a creamy mousse typical of good champagne. It would be too fruity for some, but really it has more going on that just fruit and it's neither sweet nor over-the-top except in terms of QPR. At $14.99 shelf price in my neighborhood (or $13.50 where I live if one buys more than four bottles) it's an insanely crazy value. So much so that yesterday I went back to the retailer I purchased this from and bagged his eight remaining bottles. This is my new house champers!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bruce Hayes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:20 am

Prescott, Ontario, Canada

Re: WTN: NV Graham Beck Methode Cap Classique

by Bruce Hayes » Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:34 pm

Thanks for the notes Jenise. Here in Ontario there is a Graham Beck Brut, a 54-46 Chardonnay-Pinot Noir blend.

Do you suppose this is the same wine? It sells here for a bit more ($18.95), so I suspect that it might be.

PS: There is also a Blanc De Blancs Premier Cuvee Brut 2005 that is available.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:00 pm

Bruce Hayes wrote:Thanks for the notes Jenise. Here in Ontario there is a Graham Beck Brut, a 54-46 Chardonnay-Pinot Noir blend.

Do you suppose this is the same wine? It sells here for a bit more ($18.95), so I suspect that it might be.

Bruce, I'm sure that's the same. Try some--hopefully, there isn't much bottle variation. They seem to produce quite a bit of it, so you never know.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

Re: WTN: Graham Beck NV Sparkling Wine

by Cynthia Wenslow » Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:03 pm

I'll have to look for this when next we journey to Bozeman. I know I haven't seen it around here. We've been feeling lucky to have scored some Bugey-Cerdon, and we can almost always get Gruet or an inexpensive Prosecco. But it'd be nice to try something new and reasonably priced!
no avatar
User

Bruce Hayes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:20 am

Prescott, Ontario, Canada

by Bruce Hayes » Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:35 pm

Jenise wrote:
Bruce Hayes wrote:Thanks for the notes Jenise. Here in Ontario there is a Graham Beck Brut, a 54-46 Chardonnay-Pinot Noir blend.

Bruce, I'm sure that's the same. Try some--hopefully, there isn't much bottle variation. They seem to produce quite a bit of it, so you never know.

I think I will. The wine got a very good review from a local wine critic.
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:06 pm

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:48 pm

Cynthia Wenslow wrote:I'll have to look for this when next we journey to Bozeman. I know I haven't seen it around here. We've been feeling lucky to have scored some Bugey-Cerdon, and we can almost always get Gruet or an inexpensive Prosecco. But it'd be nice to try something new and reasonably priced!

Ah, yes, I remember the metropolis of Bozeman well. It must be nice to get to the big city every now and then.
Rex solutus est a legibus - NOT
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:56 pm

I very rarely drink white wine and even rarer still will you see me with a sparkler in my hand.

However...popped a bottle of 2005 Argyle Black Brut for a birthday the other evening. It's red. It sparkles.

I actually enjoyed it.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:25 pm

Now THAT's interesting, Joseph. Didn't realize Argyle made such a thing--long ago had one produced by Brick House, I think it was, but it was seemingly a one-off. Never saw it again, anyway. Often have thought that American producers are passing up a good niche product opportunity by not making sparkling reds. Only one I know of these days is made by Korbel, but, well, it's Korbel and a bit sweeter than most of us would like.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:44 pm

Cynthia Wenslow wrote:I'll have to look for this when next we journey to Bozeman. I know I haven't seen it around here. We've been feeling lucky to have scored some Bugey-Cerdon, and we can almost always get Gruet or an inexpensive Prosecco. But it'd be nice to try something new and reasonably priced!

I'll send you a bottle as soon as the weather allows. Considering how cold it is here today, that's probably not this week--must be colder where you are!
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:51 pm

Jenise wrote:Considering how cold it is here today, that's probably not this week--must be colder where you are!

We've had a week of quite balmy temps in the 40s and even 50, but it's 27 at the moment. At least it's sunny and not snowing!
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:03 pm

Interesting, Jenise, and yet more proof of what a grand thing wine is, and how different wines can please different people in different ways.

I'll confess that over the last several months I have included the Graham Beck in a recurring seminar I have for trade folk, wherein we discourse on the global nature and style of sparkling wines (mostly methode champenoise, but not all). First we learn about the processes and traditions of making sparkling, and discuss traditional old word areas, then investigate the new world emerging regions.

Then, naturally, we have a tasting. But we make it a blind tasting. Actually, two blind tastings, because we break it up into Old World/New World categories.

As I said, I have included the Graham Beck in the New World for the last several times---but not nearly with the same dramatic response you had from the attendees.

The general consensus (again, blind, and in company with several other new world producers) is that the Graham Beck is okay, even fairly good, but not a standout. Now you could say it has tough competition perhaps, depending on which others are in the flight----but we taste the GB first in that flight, so it doesn't have to go up against later entries such as Argyle or Roederer.

Even when we unveil the GB and quote the market price (which I beleive is just slightly lower than the one you quoted), we still don't get rave reviews. As I said, it's okay, but not much more than that to most people.

On the other hand: who cares!!!!!! If you found a bubbly that lights up your candle, and it doesn't cost much, good on you, girl!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:58 pm

Hoke wrote:Even when we unveil the GB and quote the market price (which I beleive is just slightly lower than the one you quoted), we still don't get rave reviews. As I said, it's okay, but not much more than that to most people.

On the other hand: who cares!!!!!! If you found a bubbly that lights up your candle, and it doesn't cost much, good on you, girl!

I'll pretend you didn't mean that to be as condescending as it sounds.

Hoke, I believe I accurately described the wine: it's big and bold, which is not for everyone. It's not subtle. No one would, or should, mistake it for it's distant French cousins. But I thought it was excellent at being what it is, especially for the price. It's my idea of a cocktail.

And at the price? Cristallino? PLEASE. Gruet? Every bottle of that I've had in the last couple years has been simpler and less pleasing than I remember the wine being with soda pop sized bubbles. Proseccco? Vapid. Lucien Albrecht? Lot of variation from year to year and some are a tad too sweet for my tastes. The Argyle and Roederer you mention are usually good in a more French-wannabe kind of way, but in my area they're over $20. Ideally, Gosset's Brut Excellence would only cost $13 and so I'd have cases and cases in the garage that I never gave a second thought to opening for anyone at any time, but the fact is at $30 I *do* give second thought to what I open, especially when pouring for friends whose tastes do not reward sublety. The Graham Beck is a well-made wine we can both love. And it doesn't require a mixologist.
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:17 pm

Ah, the elegance with which you backhandedly enjoy telling people you think they're nuts. Hoke,

Certainly wasn't my intention, and I'm sorry you took my comments that way, Jenise.

If I've upset you it is without the intent to do so. Especially looking at how you've worded your post. And changed your wording.

Nope, I believe I was being honest and straightforward

Interesting, Jenise, and yet more proof of what a grand thing wine is, and how different wines can please different people in different ways.

Apparently you took that as condescending. Sorry.

I thought it was interesting that you were championing the wine---which I thought was well made and capable of representing a region in a tasting, else I would not have chosen it. I did not say, and apparently I should have, that the whole tasting is prefaced by the remarks that it isn't a beauty contest, that all of the wines were selected to display characteristics of a place or a style, that all wines are considered good quality, and that the reason for the seminar/tasting is to compare styles, and specifically not too rate wines as either good or bad.

Were I to tell you that in almost every instance that we have tasted a cava, many of the participants identify it as such, and tell us they do so because it has a distinct "rubbery/plasticky" smell to it, in comparison with the other wines, would you feel I've been unfair to the wine or denigrated your taste? And that Prosecco, which is also included in the tasting, is often identified by the strong lemony/citrusy and fairly straightforward and simple flavors? Does that offend you, that I reported what other people felt about a wine?

How about if I told you that quite a few of the people were unable to identify, and did not particularly like, some of the the Deutscher Sekt Riesling (which happened to be largely from exceptional producers)? Does that insult you, if you did like Deutscher Sekt? I don't know why.

For the record...*sigh*... I selected the Graham Beck. And I picked it because I thought it was good. Turns out that most people tasting it blind didn't think it stood out as being all that good. I can assure you they didn't say that to insult you or hurt your feeling, and I'm sorry the way I reported it caused you to feel that way.

When I said, "interesting"---I meant it was interesting to me that in this wonderful world of wine, different people can have different reactions to the same wines. If you can't take that at face value, then I'm sorry. Not much more I can say.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:38 pm

Hoke wrote:When I said, "interesting"---I meant it was interesting to me that in this wonderful world of wine, different people can have different reactions to the same wines. If you can't take that at face value, then I'm sorry. Not much more I can say.

Hurt? No. Annoyed? Yes. I would have taken "interesting" at face value if the rest of your comments hadn't seemed to add up to "gee, everybody I pour this for thinks it's merely okay, so you're strange." At no point did you indicate that you thought well of it.

Anyway, I apologize for taking offense too easily if none was intended.
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:54 pm

And I'm sorry I rained on your sparkling parade.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:04 pm

Hey, it's the remodel gods who are really raining on my parade. Hence the short fuse. :)
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:10 pm

Jenise wrote:Hey, it's the remodel gods who are really raining on my parade. Hence the short fuse. :)

Having recently gone through a "simple, two weekends.....max" bathroom remodel that turned into more than six months, interior walls knocked out, bathroom taken back to the studs, floor and ceiling ripped out, replastering, major plumbing re-do, major wiring re-do, tub installation which almost brought bloodshed mongst the subcontractors at one point, and a wife who came near a nervous breakdown....I feel your pain.

Besides, my post was insensitive at the very least.
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:30 pm

Bruce Hayes wrote: Do you suppose this is the same wine? It sells here for a bit more ($18.95), so I suspect that it might be.

It'll be the same. Graham Beck produces, according to Platter three MCC* wines, the NV Brut, a Brut Rose and a vintage Blanc de Blancs. And the website also lists a Demi Sec.

Sparkling wine maker Peter Ferreira is one of the most respected winemakers in SA, and Graham Beck has a good reputation for quality MCC wines at a reasonable price

*Methode Cap Classique - South African name for a wine made by the traditional Champagne method, though without Champagnes restrictions on grape varieties.
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:34 pm

Warning: Thread Drift! Thread Drift! Ahooooooo. Ahoooooooo

Peter: Since you're chiming in on SA, on which you are so knowledgeable, may I ask you about SA brandy?

I understand that SA brandy rules pretty much echo/emulate the rules of Cognac, and they strive for the same stylistic expression.

Have you had a good sample of SA brandies? If so, what do you think of their qualities? Are they comparable to cognacs, or perhaps French marc?

(I've no experience with SA brandies, sadly.)
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:45 pm

Jenise wrote:Now THAT's interesting, Joseph. Didn't realize Argyle made such a thing--long ago had one produced by Brick House, I think it was, but it was seemingly a one-off. Never saw it again, anyway. Often have thought that American producers are passing up a good niche product opportunity by not making sparkling reds. Only one I know of these days is made by Korbel, but, well, it's Korbel and a bit sweeter than most of us would like.

It was actually quite tasty and I think it can be had for around 20 bucks.I had it with shrimp, Maine lobster, a salad with Gorgonzola and a baked potato. I forgot to mention it's 100% pinot noir.

I've been pretty wine soaked this week. Started at Cana's Feast and hit Terra Vina, Troon, Zena's, and Cliff Creek.
no avatar
User

michael dietrich

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed May 10, 2006 5:09 pm

West Linn, Oregon

by michael dietrich » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:50 am

I just brought the Graham Beck in but here it sells for $17. We had it at our monthly wine steward's meeting yesterday and most everyone was pretty impressed. I think that it is a nice alternative to many of the domestic under $20 sparklers.
no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:07 pm

by Dave R » Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:30 pm

michael dietrich wrote:I just brought the Graham Beck in but here it sells for $17. We had it at our monthly wine steward's meeting yesterday and most everyone was pretty impressed. I think that it is a nice alternative to many of the domestic under $20 sparklers.

Michael,

I've have never seen or tasted the Graham Beck. How does it compare to Roederer Estate? That is usually our go-to domestic sparkler in the sub $20 category.
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up words and phrases and clauses.
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up cars and making 'em function.
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:42 pm

Hoke wrote: Warning: Thread Drift! Thread Drift! Ahooooooo. Ahoooooooo

Peter: Since you're chiming in on SA, on which you are so knowledgeable, may I ask you about SA brandy?

I understand that SA brandy rules pretty much echo/emulate the rules of Cognac, and they strive for the same stylistic expression.

Have you had a good sample of SA brandies? If so, what do you think of their qualities? Are they comparable to cognacs, or perhaps French marc?

(I've no experience with SA brandies, sadly.)

Hoke,

Sorry, I have no knowledge of SA brandies.

As I understand it, the variety most used for making brandy is Chenin Blanc, and brandy has traditionally been the alcohol of choice in South Africa. There are several large brandy makers and many different price/quality levels.

Since the ending of KWV's hold, a number of wineries have started (or restarted) making brandy. Backsberg is one such and highly respected.

But, sorry, my focus has been on wine.
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:46 pm

Ah. Thank you, Peter.
Next