The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Suggestions requested on a special occasion wine.

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:52 pm

Sapulpa, OK

Suggestions requested on a special occasion wine.

by Robert Reynolds » Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:16 am

I'm taking Gail out to eat this Friday evening for a 3-pronged celebration - early VDay, closing on a land purchase, and bonus time. The restaurant emailed me their wine list at my request, and I can't decide short of hours of online research, which if any might be a good deal. All of them seem overpriced to me, but then only once have I ever ordered a bottle when dining out that cost more than about $30. A couple of caveats: most likely entrees will be steak, followed by possibly salmon for her and quail for me; she doesn't much care for Bordeaux blends or Cab Sauv, and neither cares much for Chardonnay (exceptions include the Kim Crawford unoaked chard).
Attached is the wine list, and a link to the restaurant's Website. Are there any good values to be had? Thanks in advance, I'm really wanting to make this a super night all around. :D

http://www.michaelfuscosriversidegrill.com/index.html
WINE LIST revised 1.doc
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

Re: Suggestions requested on a special occasion wine.

by Hoke » Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:14 am

I'd feel more assured if they were a bit better at spelling, RJ.

The prices actually aren't bad....well, not out of reason anyway, let's say.

Not too daring or innovative a list either.

Still, a few on there look decent. To me. Others will no doubt spot their faves.

I'm assuming you'll likely go red meat (knowing your predilections from recent posts).

Since you said you didn't really like Cab/Merlot/Bordeaux, let's get that out of the way first. The only two that would interest me in that category are the Swanson and the Duckhorn. Good wineries, decent style (for Napa). But there's others you might like more.

But I'd be more interested in

The Elio Barbaresco for $58.

The Sanguinetto (although I'm not familiar with that name, and it is 2003) Brunello $66

(Even when Nebbiolo and Brunello/Sangiovese is mediocre, it can still be pretty damned profound, and I think both are made for red meat.

The Sinskey Carneros Pinot Noir is great, and reasonable $58, and I know for sure it would go great with steak (Cause I've had it, uh huh, uh huh)

Copain Syrah is fine stuff if you like SoCal Syrah.

The Peachy Canyon Zin is a steal at $26 buckaroos, buckaroo. If you're looking for a bargain that can still deliver, that's the one, son.

Dashe Zin @$45. Little pricier, sure, but Dashe almost always delivers.

And since you're not hot on Chardonnay, go with a Sauvignon Blanc. Couple of decent ones. The Pinot Blanc might not be a bad choice either.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:56 am

I agree with Hoke that it's a pretty uninspired list but also that there are several opportunities to find refuge. Given my Old World proclivities, I might go for the Brocard Chablis because it's reasonably priced and should be respectable. It would also be a great opportunity to show your friends the difference between Chablis and Chardonnay, if that is relevant at all..

But, it all depends on what you want to drink!
no avatar
User

Mark Noah

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:03 pm

Baltimore

by Mark Noah » Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:52 am

Cain 5 '04 at $111 is great! But I would not leave the place without taking a bottle of Branson Coach House Rare Shiraz '03. That wine is stunning......
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:22 am

Robert, given your preferences as I understand them and with a nod to the occasion, what I'd reccomend is ordering two glasses of the Piper Sonoma bubbly at $6 each so that you can have a proper toast and something lively to sip on with your first course, and then moving on to a red with your food/main courses. You received many good reccomendations, and I would second every one of them, but knowing your tastes I have to especially second the reccomendation that the zins are priced well. They are, and both you and Gail will find them immensely appealing. And though yes the Peachy Canyon's good at $26, but I'd probably step up to the Dashe at $45--it's one of America's best zins. It will definitely drink like a special occasion wine for you, and it won't break the bank. If you'd prefer something lighter, from the pinot noir list I'd reccomend the R. Stuart from Oregon or the Baileyana from California, also both about $40.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David Creighton

Rank

Wine guru

Wed May 24, 2006 10:07 am

ann arbor, michigan

by David Creighton » Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:37 am

as to the list as a whole, i get off to a bad feeling from the start when white zin is listed a slightly oaky and gewurz is listed as very oaky. but i too noted the barbaresco. wonder if its any good?
david creighton
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:38 pm

Mark Noah wrote:Cain 5 '04 at $111 is great! But I would not leave the place without taking a bottle of Branson Coach House Rare Shiraz '03. That wine is stunning......

Yahbut, that's a bit pricey for someone who has never spent more than $30 for a bottle of restaurant wine, isn't it? We need to ease Robert in gently!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Mark Noah

Rank

Wine geek

Baltimore

by Mark Noah » Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:52 pm

Yeah, I guess so. I didn't realize there was a ceiling. The best values on that list are at that end of the spectrum. Anyway, then disregard my suggestions.

mark
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:09 pm

If you do order salmon or quail, the Tavel Rose' or R. Stuart Pinot Noir suggested by Jenise might be a good choice. I find some Barbaresco too tannic for my taste--not sure how your wife is about tannins--but if that could be a problem, they might let you try a sip before plunking down for a bottle. The Zinfandels would be a good choice with steak.

Oh, BTW, congratulations on the bonus (mine went for new tires that will surely outlast my car) and on the land purchase and on having a sweetheart with whom to share Valentine's Day (a little early when you will probably get better service and maybe better food.)
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:16 pm

Mark Noah wrote:Yeah, I guess so. I didn't realize there was a ceiling. The best values on that list are at that end of the spectrum. Anyway, then disregard my suggestions.

mark

You probably missed Robert's earlier post which was Part A of this subject, where we all convinced him to pass on a more modestly priced chain restaurant in pursuit of the better culinary experience he'd have at this restaurant. After this blow-out, they need to conserve their pence for building the home they want on the property they're celebrating the acquisition of. So though he didn't mention a ceiling, value is certainly an important consideration. But re the prices, this list looks pretty good to me. Though like you I see the greatest values at the top end (and isn't that usually the case?), this restaurant isn't gouging at the moderate and lower end as so many do (and his first choice of restaurant did), and the list looks well-selected.
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:24 pm

I've not tasted it myself, but Kooyong Pinot Noir (this one the Massale 2005 at 52 dollars) has been getting some very good reports and 2005 seems to have been a great vintage for them according to Jeremy Oliver. Pinot might make a fair match for the foods you listed.

regards

Ian
Drink coffee, do stupid things faster
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:35 pm

I missed seeing the Kooyang (or is it Kooyong?) on the list. I've had the Kooyang Meres and Haven and really enjoyed both.
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Sapulpa, OK

by Robert Reynolds » Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:36 pm

Jenise wrote:
Mark Noah wrote:Yeah, I guess so. I didn't realize there was a ceiling. The best values on that list are at that end of the spectrum. Anyway, then disregard my suggestions.

mark

You probably missed Robert's earlier post which was Part A of this subject, where we all convinced him to pass on a more modestly priced chain restaurant in pursuit of the better culinary experience he'd have at this restaurant.

Right, Jenise. This is a "blow-the-limit" dinner, so I am very willing to splurge (although $100 is still pushing it, LOL). I was asking you more experienced folks so that I wouldn't spend $75 on a bottle that might taste like a $15 quaffer - I want a bottle that will taste as if it were a bargain at the restaurant price. I am making notes on all the fine suggestions thus far. Many thanks to all!
ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε
no avatar
User

Dave Erickson

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:31 pm

Asheville, NC

by Dave Erickson » Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:03 am

I looked up and down the list and didn't find a single Cote du Rhone. This place bills itself as a "grill"??

I like Jenise's idea of starting with a glass of bubbly; I had a thought about the Sinsky pinot, but the Big Fire will do just as well at a better price. I like the Dashe, but I think it's a bit big for quail.
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:22 am

Robert
It may help if you notionally put aside a certain amount to represent the restaurants wine serving, glasses, a portion of overheads and a portion of profit... say 15-25 dollars? Taking that into account may help you feel a little easier about the prices (comparing to retail without a nod to these costs can make for anger at wine lists - albeit still often justified at some rapacious outlets).
Does your state allow restaurants to entertain corkage as an alternative? With (say) $20 corkage, there's a world of choice and the chance to take a $60-$80 wine, knowing it's a reasonable charge on top of your outlay and indeed allows you to bring a wine with a little age. Maybe add a glass each of champers before the meal and it's all quite classy.
regards
Ian
Drink coffee, do stupid things faster
no avatar
User

Warren Edwardes

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:01 pm

London UK

by Warren Edwardes » Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:20 pm

.... steak, followed by possibly salmon for her and quail for me ... "

Curious about following steak with salmon and quail.

I would tend to do it the other way round.

If you are concerned about the price and quality of wines go for the cheapest red wine and add coke to it if it is too tannic. The sugar in the coke will soften the tannins. Sounds sacrilegious but ..
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Sapulpa, OK

by Robert Reynolds » Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:16 pm

Warren Edwardes wrote:.... steak, followed by possibly salmon for her and quail for me ... "

Curious about following steak with salmon and quail.

I would tend to do it the other way round.

If you are concerned about the price and quality of wines go for the cheapest red wine and add coke to it if it is too tannic. The sugar in the coke will soften the tannins. Sounds sacrilegious but ..

LOL! No, that was the order of preference of what we would actually eat, not steak AND salmon & quail. BLECCHHHHHH on the cheap red and coke. I don't even do rum and coke...
ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε
no avatar
User

Warren Edwardes

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:01 pm

London UK

by Warren Edwardes » Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:26 pm

Actually I list Kalimocho (House Red and Coke plus slices of lime) pitchers in restaurants that I create wine lists for - mainly Indian and Thai.

Goes down well after the guffaws die down.

Thanks for the clarification of steak followed by salmon ..

makes it more difficult actually if you have not decided on which.
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Sapulpa, OK

by Robert Reynolds » Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:49 am

Jenise wrote:
Mark Noah wrote:Cain 5 '04 at $111 is great! But I would not leave the place without taking a bottle of Branson Coach House Rare Shiraz '03. That wine is stunning......

Yahbut, that's a bit pricey for someone who has never spent more than $30 for a bottle of restaurant wine, isn't it? We need to ease Robert in gently!

After reading up on the Branson Coach House Shiraz, I am very, very tempted to order it, especially if we get steak. Gail has liked various Shiraz / Syrah wines I have bought in the past, more so than Pinot Noir, and much more so than Cab Sauv. This is a special occasion, after all - the prelude to the holiday of Cupid, among other celebratory events.
ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε
no avatar
User

Mark Noah

Rank

Wine geek

Baltimore

by Mark Noah » Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:57 am

You will not be disappointed Robert.

Mark
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:56 pm

Have a wonderful time tonight, Robert!
no avatar
User

Gail Reynolds

Rank

Cellar rat

Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:48 am

by Gail Reynolds » Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:45 pm

Mark, thank you for the wine suggestion. It was FANTASTIC! As was the entire dinner.

I had a 12 oz beef Tenderloin that would absolutely melt in your mouth!! To quote what I told Robert at dinner "OMG This steak is almost orgasmic it tastes so good! " LOL!!! He's still laughing at that. But the entire meal was great.
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:58 pm

Glad you had a great time! Yea for celebrations!!!! :D
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Sapulpa, OK

by Robert Reynolds » Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:00 pm

No joke, if any of ya ever make it to Tulsa, Fusco's Riverside Grill is great!
And when I ordered the Branson Coach House Shiraz, the waiter told me that I had gotten the last bottle of it they had. It's a good thing, or I'd have gotten another for my "cellar". I gotta look at the stores for some of that one...
ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε
Next