The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

TNs on 2004 Chave Mon Couer CdR?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

TNs on 2004 Chave Mon Couer CdR?

by Jenise » Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:50 pm

I'm a fan of Chave wines but have never had their basic Mon Couer that I can recall. I have a chance to buy a case of the 04 for about half price...it seems like a no-brainer, but I thought I'd ask here first. There are no notes on Cellar Tracker.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Marc D

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:44 pm

Bellingham WA

Re: TNs on 2004 Chave Mon Couer CdR?

by Marc D » Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:58 pm

I have tried one or two and they were OK, above average, but not at the level of some of their other efforts.
I would try one to see for yourself, but I don't think its a back up the truck kind of wine.
Marc Davis
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:08 pm

From fall 2006: Rather brawny for a CdR, with solid black cherry and blackberry fruit, a bit of vanilla, and a nice Rhonish grilled meat edge. There's a bit of a tannic backbone, but I think I'll opt to drink these early, as I felt the earlier vintages didn't really gain in complexity. Good if not great value at $14. B/B+

As these are negociant not domaine, hard to compare to other Chaves. The other issue since it is negociant is that blend changes from year to year (sometimes dramatically), though it sounds like there is plenty of Syrah in the '04.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:52 pm

Thanks Marc and Dale. I didn't have a chance to taste before I bought, so I passed.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov