The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

W|TN: More notes

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:27 pm

St. Pete., FL & Sonoma, CA

W|TN: More notes

by Florida Jim » Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:40 am

White:

2006 Fillaboa, Albariño, Selectión Finca Monte Alto:
Spicy, licorice/resin, peach, lemon drop, medium intensity nose with mineral accents; broad in the mouth with considerable minerality, flavors echo the nose with salt and nutmeg tones, a fairly richly textured delivery, good acidity; remarkably long. Few Albariño approach this level of concentration and complexity. Do Ferreiro’s, Cepas Vellas does, but I can’t think of another. And this was only $17 whereas the Cepas is $38. Thanks Victor.

Reds:

2002 Hess Collection, Cabernet Sauvignon Mt. Veeder:
Lumberyard nose with almost no fruit getting through; soft and smooth in the mouth with a plush texture, decent fruit but too much oak; very drying/ woody finish. A waste, IMO; the fruit that came off this mountain deserved better than to be buried under a clear-cut a forest.

2007 Overnoy/Houillon, Arbois Pupillin:
Poulsard may be my favorite red grape, at least chez Overnoy/Houillon – when I compare the 2006 version of this wine to the 2007 there is a noticeable difference. 2006 was a fully ripe, fleshy, well-concentrated wine; this is more delicate, thinner even, and nuanced. These “off” years are so enchanting and interesting. The ripest vintages seem to appeal physically, the others, mentally. Fortunately, I enjoy both. Pomegranate, strawberry, mineral nose with an earthy tilt to all the aromas; much the same in the mouth, gossamer texture, lithe and bright, dry, intense; medium length. Special wine.

2007 Conquista de Argentina, Malbec:
Floral, spicy, purple fruit smells, some violet and high-toned pepper; bright in the mouth with flavors that follow the nose, excellent balance, not any sign of wood and much more complex than anticipated; medium length, well-balanced finish. Detailed wine that delivers good varietal character, a sense of place and very pretty fruit for $7. Back up the truck.

2007 Bodegas Luigi Bosca, Malbec Finca La Linda:
Deeper and richer than the foregoing wine with a more saturated overall delivery but pretty much the same flavors and smells. Full bodied, a worsted texture and a longer finish – more concentrated and more intense. A wine I will certainly buy more of at $14.

Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

Re: W|TN: More notes

by Bob Henrick » Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:44 am

Florida Jim wrote:White:

2006 Fillaboa, Albariño, Selectión Finca Monte Alto:
Spicy, licorice/resin, peach, lemon drop, medium intensity nose with mineral accents; broad in the mouth with considerable minerality, flavors echo the nose with salt and nutmeg tones, a fairly richly textured delivery, good acidity; remarkably long. Few Albariño approach this level of concentration and complexity. Do Ferreiro’s, Cepas Vellas does, but I can’t think of another. And this was only $17 whereas the Cepas is $38. Thanks Victor. .Best, Jim

Jim, I have enjoyed several vintages of this wine that was purchased from the closeout shelf, and to my surprise every bottle been good. While this wine might be best in it's youth, I have had it up to 5 years of age, and IMO it has not suffered for the aging.
Last edited by Bob Henrick on Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

by Florida Jim » Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:49 am

Bob Henrick wrote:While this wine might be best in it's youth, I have had it up to 5 years of age, and IMO it has not suffered for the aging.

Good to know.
I'll keep some for awhile, just as I am doing with the Cepas Vellas.
Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
no avatar
User

wrcstl

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:20 pm

St. Louis

by wrcstl » Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:50 pm

Florida Jim wrote:.

2007 Conquista de Argentina, Malbec:
Floral, spicy, purple fruit smells, some violet and high-toned pepper; bright in the mouth with flavors that follow the nose, excellent balance, not any sign of wood and much more complex than anticipated; medium length, well-balanced finish. Detailed wine that delivers good varietal character, a sense of place and very pretty fruit for $7. Back up the truck.

2007 Bodegas Luigi Bosca, Malbec Finca La Linda:
Deeper and richer than the foregoing wine with a more saturated overall delivery but pretty much the same flavors and smells. Full bodied, a worsted texture and a longer finish – more concentrated and more intense. A wine I will certainly buy more of at $14.

Best, Jim

I have been trying hard to understand Argentine Malbec, and reds in general from Argentine. We spend a lot of time in Mexico and unless you bring wine with you wine is very expensive except from So America. I cannot get past the huge fruit and somewhat simple flavors. Add to that the fact that many are very high alcohol, I have not found anything I have really enjoyed. Must be trying the wrong ones and I will look out for these two.
Walt
no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

by Florida Jim » Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:33 am

wrcstl wrote:I have been trying hard to understand Argentine Malbec, and reds in general from Argentine. We spend a lot of time in Mexico and unless you bring wine with you wine is very expensive except from So America. I cannot get past the huge fruit and somewhat simple flavors. Add to that the fact that many are very high alcohol, I have not found anything I have really enjoyed. Must be trying the wrong ones and I will look out for these two.
Walt

Walt,
There is a good chance I'm going to be making malbec this year so I will be trying a lot of them in the coming months. Notes to follow . . .
Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
no avatar
User

Steve Kirsch

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:53 pm

Detroit, MI

by Steve Kirsch » Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:43 pm

Florida Jim wrote:2007 Overnoy/Houillon, Arbois Pupillin:
Poulsard may be my favorite red grape, at least chez Overnoy/Houillon – when I compare the 2006 version of this wine to the 2007 there is a noticeable difference. 2006 was a fully ripe, fleshy, well-concentrated wine; this is more delicate, thinner even, and nuanced. These “off” years are so enchanting and interesting. The ripest vintages seem to appeal physically, the others, mentally. Fortunately, I enjoy both. Pomegranate, strawberry, mineral nose with an earthy tilt to all the aromas; much the same in the mouth, gossamer texture, lithe and bright, dry, intense; medium length. Special wine.

I am more familiar with the 2002 version of this wine, which was well-represented in cellars around here (Detroit) until last autumn. I just had my first 2007 recently and found it more delicate than the 2002, and less complex as well, but that's no surprise given its' youth. But what a wine. As I said in my TN, "oh so friendly--as if the wine knows you personally".