The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: T. Liger-Belair, Roumier, Pavelot

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

WTN: T. Liger-Belair, Roumier, Pavelot

by Rahsaan » Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:52 am

2004 Thibault Liger-Belair Nuits St. Georges Les Saint Georges
This starts off a bit forward and soft for my tastes. With air it pulls it together and shows fine-grained finesse and earthy bass inner inner inner tannins to balance off the supple and rippling fruit. Maybe a touch too glossy for me to fall in love but I liked the time I spent with this wine.

2004 Roumier Chambolle Musigny
At its best it shows a beautiful floral nose and then tastes like crystal crunchy silk fruits. Sure it is 'simple' village wine. But for this taster there was nothing to complain about and in fact plenty to enjoy. I just wish it were cheaper for what it delivers. But then maybe I'm a cheapskate.

2002 Domaine Pavelot Savigny Les Beaune Les Narbantons
Showing its ripe, dark, and round side, which might please some, but I couldn't help wishing it were a bit more precise and Chandon de Briailles-like. There is some nice complexity to the tannin finish and a good mineral backbone to give it respect. Regardless, the idiom is dark and spicey and I'm realizing my Savigny and Pernand money should be scratching the Chandon itch. But I digress...
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

Re: WTN: T. Liger-Belair, Roumier, Pavelot

by Oswaldo Costa » Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:22 am

Thanks for the notes, just the sort of Burg investigation I enjoy. Roumier is such a storied name and sells out so quickly that it's too bad their village wines (like Meo Xamuzet) sell for the price of others' premiers. And your comment about Chandon is definitely not a digression, since that is a Pernand choice we all have to make...
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: WTN: T. Liger-Belair, Roumier, Pavelot

by Rahsaan » Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:40 am

Oswaldo Costa wrote:Roumier is such a storied name and sells out so quickly that it's too bad their village wines (like Meo Xamuzet) sell for the price of others' premiers...

Yes, I realize there's nothing I can do about it. This 04 was $45, which was much cheaper than $99 for the 06 sitting next to it, but even at $45 I'm too price sensitive to get really excited..