The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Verdicchio match-up with Crab Cakes? Nagh, won`t work!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Verdicchio match-up with Crab Cakes? Nagh, won`t work!

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:46 pm

Many here know of my continuing search for the ultimate food/wine match-up for crab cakes! I have been ridiculed/applauded/had my health questioned/my know-how mocked but I continue regardless.

So here is the next installment!

WTN:`07 Marotti Campi Luzano Verdicchio dei Castello di Jesi, Marches It.

Classico Superiore, $24 Cdn, 13.5% alc, synthetic cork, purchased locally in town. Well-known local winery with fair track record in wine production. I always prefer my Verdicchio to be served not too chilled.

Color. Deep straw, starting to show light lemon. No green.

Nose. Acacia floral, crisp, aromatic, fresh, hint of freshly squeezed lime juice. Did not show any nuttiness until day 2.

Palate. Initial thoughts were off-dry, rich, leesy action here, served blind would be fun. White fruits but no pithy apricot. More peachy, nice fleshy abstract. Red Delicious apple as it opens after an hour, low acidity, butterscotch trace. Not like any Verdicchio I have tried, nah maybe the Fazi Battaglia? Comments from across the table include..."viognier perhaps, maybe upscale P Gris from Okanagan?"
I found it a great match with the crab cakes and chipotle mayo. I think a tad more minerality might have worked even better wonders?
Winner however, through and through!
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

Re: Verdicchio match-up with Crab Cakes? Nagh, won`t work!

by Sam Platt » Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:05 pm

Bob,

Thanks for the note. I will have to give the combination a try. Have you ever paired a Vernaccia with crab cakes? I'm thinking of giving that pairing a shot.
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:09 pm

Sam, I was thinking about such a pairing only the other night. Want to give it a try next weekend/whenever? I am game.
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:20 pm

Sure. I was actually thinking of giving it a try on Valentine's Day. We can compare notes. Vernaccio tends to be a fairly bold wine, so it should at least be interesting with the crab.
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:28 pm

Ok, that sounds great. Looking at Liq Board list, about 8 to choose from but will stick with downtown store as always. Nice one from Tuscolo.
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:43 pm

Bob,

I have a Vernaccia that we picked up in San Gimignano a couple of years ago. It's by Fugnano. I will probably drink it. I find a lot of similarity among Vernaccia producers.
Sam

no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:40 am

Intuitively Verdicchio CdJ with crab cakes sounds a good match and I'm glad you confirm it.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:52 pm

Sam has posted elsewhere on his Vernacca which seems to have worked.
Last night I was floating on the floor at the Grill..."are you Ric?" Very busy night including one table of "trans" types with lovely flowers t`boot.
After, I enjoyed my crab cakes with a glass of Gray Monk PG from the Okanagan, very nice I must say. Nagh, did not sit at that table!
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:03 pm

I have know idea why I don't drink more Verdicchio. Every time I drink it it is a revelation! Paulo brought some to the Philly offline and it may have been the best white wine of the night. It would be smashing with well prepared crab of any type.
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:35 am

Well here is another update. Crab Cakes at the Grill went down nicely with a Sandhill Pinot Blanc (Okanagan) but I also managed to polish off a half-bottle of the `06 Beringer Alluvium Blanc which was great! Blend of semillon, sauv blanc, chardonnay and viognier I believe. Hints of butterscotch and honeysuckle, pears and quite elegant. It worked pretty well with the crab, despite the creamyness of the wine.
no avatar
User

Ben Rotter

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Sep 19, 2006 12:59 pm

Sydney, Australia (currently)

by Ben Rotter » Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:52 am

Bob,

I for one applaud your quest. I can't help but wonder, with all these posts, which wine styles you've found the best match with crab cakes so far? (Apologies if I missed this in a previous post.)

Ben
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:06 am

Ben, thanks for the interest. I have to think that a `02 Esporao Blanco from Portugal was a classic (posted 2 yrs ago I think). Lately though Pinot Gris seems to work pretty nicely, although to be honest I have not yet tried a PG from Alsace.
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

by James Roscoe » Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:23 am

Ben Rotter wrote:Bob,

I for one applaud your quest. I can't help but wonder, with all these posts, which wine styles you've found the best match with crab cakes so far? (Apologies if I missed this in a previous post.)

Ben

It would depend upon what type of crab you are using. The crab from the west coast has a flavor much more akin to lobster while blue crabs give a much richer fuller flavor. Now, I am prejudiced towards the blue crab. The type of wine you would serve with each would be different. For straight blue crab the general choice is a beer.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:53 pm

JR is , of course, spot on! The folks down there in Maryland gave me a hard time about the kind of crab I am using! Yikes I live in Alberta where tinned Nova Scotia crab is all I have available. Fresh crab would be way too expensive for my purpose (grin).
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

by James Roscoe » Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:06 pm

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:JR is , of course, spot on! The folks down there in Maryland gave me a hard time about the kind of crab I am using! Yikes I live in Alberta where tinned Nova Scotia crab is all I have available. Fresh crab would be way too expensive for my purpose (grin).

I could see Verdicchio being an excellent match for blue crab though. Heck, I could see Verdicchio being an excellent match for any seafood!
no avatar
User

SteveEdmunds

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:05 am

Berkeley, CA

Rule of Thumb?

by SteveEdmunds » Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:10 pm

Wines spelled Ver......... (dicchio, naccia, mentino, delho) all seem to be crab-cake friendly! (Not...mouth!) :D
I don't know just how I'm supposed to play this scene, but I ain't afraid to learn...
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:35 pm

Some of the richer Muscadet are even better though.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:56 pm

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:JR is , of course, spot on! The folks down there in Maryland gave me a hard time about the kind of crab I am using! Yikes I live in Alberta where tinned Nova Scotia crab is all I have available. Fresh crab would be way too expensive for my purpose (grin).

Nova Scotia crab must be the same as what we get around here, and it tastes exactly like what you mix with it; even when fresh. Therefore I would guess that the mixings would be what you would want to match the wine with.
no avatar
User

SteveEdmunds

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:05 am

Berkeley, CA

by SteveEdmunds » Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:53 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Some of the richer Muscadet are even better though.

But of course. Goes with nearly anything!
I don't know just how I'm supposed to play this scene, but I ain't afraid to learn...
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:16 pm

Carl Eppig wrote:

Nova Scotia crab must be the same as what we get around here, and it tastes exactly like what you mix with it; even when fresh. Therefore I would guess that the mixings would be what you would want to match the wine with.

Chef at the Grill has a new tinned crab supply. Will check from where asap!
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:54 pm

Sam Platt wrote:Bob,

I have a Vernaccia that we picked up in San Gimignano a couple of years ago. It's by Fugnano. I will probably drink it. I find a lot of similarity among Vernaccia producers.

Sam, just purchased the `07 Toscolo Vernaccia you posted on elsewhere here. Looking forward to a good match-up for sure.

(whisper.... the crab I use is from Indonesia but promoted by Phillips of Baltimore). I cringe, here come the emails!
no avatar
User

Ben Rotter

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Sep 19, 2006 12:59 pm

Sydney, Australia (currently)

by Ben Rotter » Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:24 am

James Roscoe wrote:
Ben Rotter wrote:It would depend upon what type of crab you are using. The crab from the west coast has a flavor much more akin to lobster while blue crabs give a much richer fuller flavor. Now, I am prejudiced towards the blue crab. The type of wine you would serve with each would be different. For straight blue crab the general choice is a beer.

Well, sure. I'd argue it would depend more, like most dishes, on the spicing/flavouring used in the cakes, and on the accompaniments. But I nevertheless find it interesting to hear what someone's conclusions are, especially if they've been on a serious matching mission.
no avatar
User

ClarkDGigHbr

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat May 06, 2006 7:16 pm

Gig Harbor, WA

by ClarkDGigHbr » Sat Feb 28, 2009 2:33 am

James Roscoe wrote:It would depend upon what type of crab you are using. The crab from the west coast has a flavor much more akin to lobster while blue crabs give a much richer fuller flavor. Now, I am prejudiced towards the blue crab. The type of wine you would serve with each would be different. For straight blue crab the general choice is a beer.

I grew up on the east coast where we ate blue crabs all the time. Incredibly flavorful, but a heck of a lot of work to get to those tasty morsels. I moved to the Pacific NW 16+ years ago, and I agree that the crabs out here are more like eating lobster. It sure is a good thing I like lobster, too. :D

I guess I am lazy, because I gravitate to a nice chilled Sauvignon Blanc. I certainly would not shy away from trying the other varietals mentioned in this thread; I enjoy them, too. However, I'd pass on the Beringer Alluvium Blanc; I tried it quite a few years ago and was turned off by the oak.

The beer suggestion is a great one, especially with all the tasty micro-brew stuff out here. In fact, whenever my wife and I go out for fish & chips (at Tides Tavern in Gig Harbor, of course), I always order the IPA that is on tap that week.

-- Clark
no avatar
User

Drew Hall

Rank

Wine guru

Mon May 26, 2008 8:07 am

Bel Air, Maryland

by Drew Hall » Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:47 am

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:
(whisper.... the crab I use is from Indonesia but promoted by Phillips of Baltimore). I cringe, here come the emails!

"NOW YOU'VE REALLY MADE ME CRABBY!!!!" :evil: No, actually I've used the Phillips back fin, Indonesia, on many occasions with really good results. I buy that pasteurized crabmeat and always have a container or two in the fridge for unexpected guests or a crab cake meal to bring back some summer memories in the thick of winter. Here's a recipe I use which really highlights the sweetness of the crab meat. The below recipe was from my friend Bill who owned a townhouse next to ours in Ocean City Maryland. He passed a few years ago and his wife still resides there year round. We always make this recipe when we're "Down the Ocean, Hon" and make a toast to Bill with his widow.

Bills famous Maryland Crab Cakes

Dry Mix
Crush well 14 saltine crackers
Add ½ teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning
Add 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
Add 1 teaspoon onion powder
-- Add the above dry mix to 1 pound crab meat and gently mix (don't break up the lumps!)

Wet Mix
1 Egg
3 tablespoons mayonnaise
1 teaspoon yellow mustard
 Mix well and pour over the crab and dry mix, lightly toss with spoon and fork to distribute.
 Form into cakes and broil or pan fry with butter and a touch of oil.
Makes 4 to 6 nice size crab cakes
Next