The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

A few So. Rhones from J et R Importers

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

A few So. Rhones from J et R Importers

by Redwinger » Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:49 am

J et R, out of Michigan, is an importer with a portfolio of primarily Rhone wines. So when their bandwagon pulled into Naptown, Indiana, I decided to check them out. Here are my impressions of what I sipped and spit.

2005 Dom l'Espigouette Cote Du Rhone V.V.: This is the gold label and I recently posted a favorable note on this. Everything I like in a CdR and drinks well above its sub $10 price point. I re-stocked the cellar and this is now one of my house reds. These should continue to improve with a few years in the cellar, but I'm sure mine will be long gone before they peak.

2006 Dom. l'Espiouette Vacqueyras: Less concentrated that the previous CdR. The fruit is a tad ripe but the tannins help harmonize things. My initial suspicion is that these are younger vines, which was eventually confirmed by the importer. Certainly drinkable, but 'Winger $$$ will be spent on the CdR this evening.

2005 Le Mas Des Collines Gigondas: More rustic in style that the previous wines. Quite dark profile, underbrush and dirt on the nose and palate. Good concentration. Nice now, but will benefit from time in the cellar. Given the pricing of CdP these days and the state of the economy, you could do worse than open one of these when you get a jonesing for a CdP, but your wallet balks. I bought a couple.

2005 Bois de Boursan CdP: I've posted on this wine previously and I continue to be impressed by it. For me, it is a WOW!! Elegant, yet complex, with depth and balance. Classic CdP without going over the top in ripeness and alcohol. Cellar worthy for sure. Good value at less than 1/2 the $$ of the following wine.

2005 Pegau Reservee: Let's get this out of the way: This is an impressive bottle of wine, but alas it is priced way beyond my means. However, if you are in the habit of spending more than $80 for CdP, then this is the real deal. Everyone was oohing and ahhhing, but given the experience level of the group thay may have been impressed by the hype the local distributor was laying on pretty thick.

Redwinger
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

Re: A few So. Rhones from J et R Importers

by Mark Lipton » Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:52 am

Redwinger wrote:J et R, out of Michigan, is an importer with a portfolio of primarily Rhone wines. So when their bandwagon pulled into Naptown, Indiana, I decided to check them out. Here are my impressions of what I sipped and spit.

2005 Dom l'Espigouette Cote Du Rhone V.V.: This is the gold label and I recently posted a favorable note on this. Everything I like in a CdR and drinks well above its sub $10 price point. I re-stocked the cellar and this is now one of my house reds. These should continue to improve with a few years in the cellar, but I'm sure mine will be long gone before they peak.

A perennial house favorite. Glad to hear that it's still sub-$10, as that's a hard trick these days given the exchange rate.

2005 Bois de Boursan CdP: I've posted on this wine previously and I continue to be impressed by it. For me, it is a WOW!! Elegant, yet complex, with depth and balance. Classic CdP without going over the top in ripeness and alcohol. Cellar worthy for sure. Good value at less than 1/2 the $$ of the following wine.

2005 Pegau Reservee: Let's get this out of the way: This is an impressive bottle of wine, but alas it is priced way beyond my means. However, if you are in the habit of spending more than $80 for CdP, then this is the real deal. Everyone was oohing and ahhhing, but given the experience level of the group thay may have been impressed by the hype the local distributor was laying on pretty thick.

Two of my favorite producers. FWIW, I've seen the '05 Pegau offered in Indy for $67, though that still might be beyond your tolerance level. Bois de Boursan is a QPR winner for sure, though. Thanks for the notes, and I'm sorry that I missed the tasting. I used to go every year when Hamilton Beverages sponsored, but that's no more AFAICT.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:01 pm

Mark-

The Gold Label l'Espig. is priced at $13-$15 at most stores in town. This one place has it for $9.99 and they were offering an additional 10% "J et R" discount on the eve. of the tasting, so that brought the cost closer to $9. Sweet IMO.

Yeah, I miss Hamilton Bev. too. Did you know that Rod is back ITB...doing some distribution and in fact he is doing a Chilean tasting sometime in Feb?
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:25 pm

Thanks for the notes, Bill. I have tasted the l'Espig a few times in the past. It's always a solid wine for the price. I have an '04 Pegau in the cellar that I have not yet tasted.
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins