The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN - Recent Tastes

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

John S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:12 am

British Columbia

WTN - Recent Tastes

by John S » Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:38 pm

A few wines I've had recently...

2001 Domaine de l'Hortus Coteaux du Languedoc Pic St. Loup Grande Cuvée- France, Languedoc Roussillon, Languedoc, Coteaux du Languedoc Pic St. Loup (2/4/2009)
Medium brick in colour, with a nice nose of plum, cinamon and cherry, with a hint of garrigue. The same flavours were on the very smooth, well integrated, medium-bodied palate, with a little earthiness as well. It really seems at peak now. Very elegant. (A-)

2005 Domaine La Soufrandise Mâcon-Fuissé Mâcon-Fuissé- France, Burgundy, Mâconnais, Mâcon-Fuissé (2/2/2009)
Hazy notes from a few days ago. This didn't really do much for me. Very light in colour and taste, and not all that varietal either. Not much fruit (or anything) showing here. While I couldn't sense any corked flavours here, it was so boring I hope it was flawed in some way. But it could just be a blah wine! I don't intend on buying another to find out... (B)

2004 M. Chapoutier Hermitage Blanc Chante-Alouette- France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Hermitage (2/2/2009)
Wasn't all that impressed. Some nice honeysuckle and yellow fruit notes, but the alcohol poked out far too much for my liking, both when it was cold, right out of the fridge, and when it had warmed up. I'll hold and hope. (B+)

2003 Spinifex Indigene- Australia, South Australia, Barossa, Barossa Valley (1/29/2009)
Interesting shiraz/mourvedre blend tasted over two days. Dark purple in colour, with notes of iron, blood, plums and pepper. This is a full-bodied, take no prisoners wine with great structure and healthy tannins (especially on the second night, although I drank this on the cool side both nights). Definitely not a sweet, unbalanced ooze monster style. More earthy flavours on the palate, quite tight still, even on the second night. I think this will last for another 20 years! Very interesting and tasty, though pretty 'sauvage' right now. (A-)

2006 Marenco Brachetto d'Acqui Pineto- Italy, Piedmont, Brachetto d'Acqui DOCG (2/4/2009)
I know, I know, it's not a 'serious' wine, but this brought so much pleasure, it gets an A- from me. Lovely strawberry and rasberry flavours, very fresh tasting, with just the right amount of effervescence and hint of sweetness. A perfect picnic wine. Moscato D'Asti was my favourite low alcohol picnic wine, but this is a tasty alternative. (A-)

2001 Olivier Cuilleras Côtes du Rhone Villages Visan Cuvée Louise Emilie- France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Côtes du Rhone Villages Visan (1/26/2009)
Medium brick in colour, with a light nose of plum, cherry, pepper and red licorice. A medium-boded palate, with a velvety texture but then slight tannins on the finish. Cherry, game, plum on the palate, with a touch of glycerine as well. Fairly simple, but solid; there is a nice purity of flavour which elevates the wine a bit. Probably nearing peak now. (B+)

2004 Domaine de Saumarez Coteaux du Languedoc Aalenien- France, Languedoc Roussillon, Languedoc, Coteaux du Languedoc (1/25/2009)
Hazy notes from last week. Decanted for an hour, and enjoyed the lovely nose of plum, cherry, game and tar. More elegant than I was expecting, though still a big wine. Had a nice savory note that really caught my attention. (A-)

2001 Alain Jaume & Fils Châteauneuf-du-Pape- France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape (1/17/2009)
Rather tight on the first night, but the second night has really improved it. Slight barnyard on the nose, with cherry, raspberry, earth and garrigue - very nice. A medium bodied wine, very smooth and balanced, with leather, cherry, garrigue, tar and gamy flavours. Great purity and length. An elegant style as opposed to a big modern bruiser. This has really improved. Still has a way to go, but nice now with a long decant. (A-)