The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

1999 Bürklin-Wolf - great aging potential of dry Riesling!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Martin Barz

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:22 am

1999 Bürklin-Wolf - great aging potential of dry Riesling!

by Martin Barz » Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:44 am

“The 'Pechstein' derives its name from the high percentage of basalt (black volcanic earth) in the soils. Formerly an active volcano, the 'Pechsteinkopf', situated above the village of Forst, dispersed huge amounts of volcanic earth millions of years ago. In the bottom layers of this site are basalt veins, with single basalt stones found on its surface as well.”

WOW........should anyone had doubts about the aging potential of dry Rieslings, then I recommend to open a 99er Dr. Bürklin-Wolf “Pechstein” from the region Pfalz . This Riesling G.C. presented an impressive freshness&youth and a lot of play. Seductive perfume of marcipan.......I could sniff hours at this bouquet. Very complex on the palate with a mouthfilling fruit of ripe pineapple, orange/lemon peel, Earl-Grey tea or smoky notes from the basalt. Very profound and with a never-ending length. BTW, no hurry to drink this wine, great potential for the next 5-10 years.

94/100

Label: http://www.snakvin.com/foto/albums/user ... MG9336.JPG
http://berlinkitchen.com
no avatar
User

Felix Warners

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:55 pm

Netherlands, Zandvoort and Zeist

Re: 1999 Bürklin-Wolf - great aging potential of dry Riesling!

by Felix Warners » Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:54 am

Nice note Martin, good to hear these wines age. Last sunday I was at a GG tasting in Germany but I have not seen this producer, reading your note I missed something.
I believe the GG wines made by the top producers will age but there are also some producers who make wines in a to rich style with a bit to much botrytis and alcohol which I believe will not age that well. 2007 has brought us some great dry rieslings that I think will also age.
"How can you trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders? The man can't even trust his own pants."
no avatar
User

Martin Barz

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:22 am

by Martin Barz » Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:40 pm

Yes Felix, not all the dry Rieslings from the TOP producer age well. I had some disappointments with 02 GG A. Christmann, Rebholz from the region Pfalz, all were too alcoholic (except "Idig"). On the other hand Koehler-Ruprecht Rieslings are marathon runners. Also the dry Rieslings from Keller, Emrich-Schönleber, Dönnhoff ages terrific.

In general, the 07 Rieslings have a long-aging potential. Mr Keller, Mr. Wittmann, Mr. Dönnhoff, Mr. Emrich-Schönleber etc. told me that.

BTW, the Rieslings from "Pechstein" are late bloomers based on the basalt soil.

All the best,
Martin

P.S. I will taste some aged Keller Rieslings in Copenhagen next week at the Rest. NOMA. Stay tuned........
http://berlinkitchen.com
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:54 pm

I very much enjoyed a Pechstein 1997 a few months ago. It was showing better than some 97s Rieslings from the highly regarded Weinbach estate in Alsace when I last looked at them.
Tim York
no avatar
User

David Lole

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:49 am

Canberra, Australia

by David Lole » Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:07 pm

Tim York wrote: It was showing better than some 97s Rieslings from the highly regarded Weinbach estate in Alsace when I last looked at them.

Highly regarded by some, Tim, but I've yet to try one that has delivered anything like a top Trimbach or Zind-Humbrecht (another "esteemed" producer who can be inconsistent, IMHO). Gave up on Faller years ago after trying quite a few 'cuvee's' up until the 1994 vintage. Probably will get a schlacking for saying this but when producer's charge top price and don't deliver, I am very quick to vote with my feet.
Cheers,

David