The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: A lovely Loire Gamay

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

WTN: A lovely Loire Gamay

by Saina » Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:03 pm

Domaine Les Hautes Noëlles (Serge Batard) Gamay 2007 Vin de Pays du Jardin de la France 12% abv; 14,58€

Sometimes a wine touches all the right spots in the brain's pleasure center. It is especially nice when the wine is moderately priced.

I made a pot of something slightly resembling coq au vin and opened up this Gamay with it:

Raspberries, cherries and rocks, ripe fruit but no sign (gladly) of any scents like banana or bubblegum that are associated with the Lalvin yeast. Low alcohol but ripe fruit, crunchy structure, good acidity (though very low according to the technical sheet: only 4,9g/l). The combination of fun and pure Gamay fruit and rocks make this an irresistible drink with a huge evaporation rate. Lovely!
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

Re: WTN: A lovely Loire Gamay

by Oswaldo Costa » Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:58 pm

Sounds great! I've been on a roll lately with biodynamic Morgons that have changed the way I think about Gamay, and I want to taste more Loire versions like this one and also the Edmunds St. John.
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:46 pm

Oswaldo Costa wrote:biodynamic Morgons that have changed the way I think about Gamay, and I want to taste more Loire versions like this one and also the Edmunds St. John.

These Loire ones and then the ESJ ones will show you very different sides of gamay indeed.

Enjoy!
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:01 pm

Sounds like I should try a Loire Gamay. I'm only familiar with the Cab Franc. Otto - just to clarify, there are many strains of Lalvin yeast, each with different characteristics. The specific one that gives the banana-fruity aromas you're referring to is 71B. It is unique in those properties. I don't like 71B, but use EC-1118 for many of my wines and GRE in my Riesling. Here's a link: http://www.lallemandwine.us/products/yeast_strains.php.
Last edited by Howie Hart on Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:06 pm

Howie Hart wrote:Sounds like I should try a Loire Gamay. I'm only familiar with the Cab Franc.

You should. Although if you do, note the differences among gamay grown in the Eastern Loire near Cheverny (rounder), in Touraine (famous for the potted plant aromas), in Anjou (dark black and weird), and out here in the West near Muscadet where Otto's crunchy bright gamay was made.
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

by Oswaldo Costa » Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:03 pm

Rahsaan wrote:
Howie Hart wrote:Sounds like I should try a Loire Gamay. I'm only familiar with the Cab Franc.

You should. Although if you do, note the differences among gamay grown in the Eastern Loire near Cheverny (rounder), in Touraine (famous for the potted plant aromas), in Anjou (dark black and weird), and out here in the West near Muscadet where Otto's crunchy bright gamay was made.

Wow, I had no idea you were such a Gamay Hound (or is that Gamay Ranger?).
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:12 pm

Oswaldo Costa wrote:Wow, I had no idea you were such a Gamay Hound (or is that Gamay Ranger?).

I think there is a close connection between people who like gamay and people who like red Burgundy. Similar profiles and all. Right now I have an income so I can drink more Burgundy, but all through graduate school it was gamay (among other things..)
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:51 am

Rahsaan wrote:

Thanks for that succinct tutorial, Rahsaan. It makes me want to go out and look for a selection. Most available here are those from Marionnet, nicely mineral but not giving an irresistible urge for repeats unlike, say, Vissoux's Fleurie. I remember an amazingly full bodied and structured Gamay from Pierre-Bise in Anjou, 1997 I think; fascination though not quite what I want when looking for a Gamay fix.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:50 am

Tim York wrote:I remember an amazingly full bodied and structured Gamay from Pierre-Bise in Anjou, 1997 I think; fascination though not quite what I want when looking for a Gamay fix.

My thoughts exactly.

People need to remember that the Loire is a large and diverse region.
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:49 pm

Howie, it was indeed the 71B that I meant - that is the infamous Lalvin strain that causes horrible aromas in wines...

Rahsaan, what is it about Anjou that makes the Gamay dark black and weird?
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:38 pm

Otto Nieminen wrote:Rahsaan, what is it about Anjou that makes the Gamay dark black and weird?

I'm no expert but to my knowledge one of the defining differences is that Anjou soils are primarily schiste and volcanic spilite as opposed to the limestone further east in Touraine/Vouvray/Chinon. Limestone holds water better so the grapes can more slowly ripen. One of the issues in Anjou with red and white grapes is that the alcohol and ripeness can proceed very quickly, hence all those high alcohol dry Chenins from Anjou that are completely different from Vouvray and Montlouis. Similarly, this helps explain why the gamays are so black.

There are probably other differences in climate such as fog and humidty but I'm not sure how they play into it.
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:26 pm

I've had one Anjou Gamay. I can't remember the name, but I recall the producer doesn't believe in tractors or electricity and he looks like an aging Berkeley street person :? I also remember the wine being so bizarre with brett that it tasted unmistakeably like strong Peanut Butter :mrgreen:
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Dave Erickson

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:31 pm

Asheville, NC

by Dave Erickson » Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:40 am

Also try Domaine de la Charmoise Touraine Gamay for more pretty red fruit and mineral quality. The '07 should be in reasonably wide distribution (for a Loire red, that is...). Around $15.