The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: My heroes- Lafarge and Ollivier

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: My heroes- Lafarge and Ollivier

by Dale Williams » Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:36 pm

I used some white wine braising some pork shoulder , but also enjoyed a glass of the 2006 Pepiere/Ollivier "Clos des Briords" Muscadet VV Lemons and seashell, oceans waves hitting a rocky coast. Clean bright acidity, but smooth and almost creamy in the mouth. No hurry on these, but drinking well now. A-/B+

With the pork, mushrooms, and cauliflower, the 1998 Lafarge Volnay (regular village, not VS). For my tastes this is perfectly a pointe, a village level wine that is drinking beautifully. Red and black cherries, an exotic edge of sandalwood meets cedar, some spice and smoke. Revisiting periodically through evening it gets more complex, with lots of turned soil and some wild mushroom aromas. Probably not as good a wine overall as say the '99 VS, but drinks better right now. I'm quite sad this was my last one. A-/B+, but I'll bump up to A- for overachieving at level (and from a less heralded vintage).

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.

no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

Re: WTN: My heroes- Lafarge and Ollivier

by Oswaldo Costa » Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:02 pm

Great match.

Sigh..., our visit to Lafarge last February in Volnay still ranks as one of my most memorable tasting experiences, ever.
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.