The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: More Tree Bark Woes + Other Tastings

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

WTN: More Tree Bark Woes + Other Tastings

by Brian K Miller » Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:56 am

Fattoria Del Cerro Vino Nobile di Montepulciano 2004 (Sangiovese). Oh oh. Sour wet cardboard. Beau, the host at WineStyles on Monday nights, agreed. Beau had also opened the wine for the room, so there was absolutely no romance involved in operating the corkscrew! C-O-R-K. Glug Glug Glug down the sink. :evil: I'm having a string now of corked bottles. I guess the Cork Karma Gods have taken note of me!

2001 LaJota Howell Mountain Cabernet Franc. Not bad. Once it opened up, not a bad combination of currant fruit with a nice "floor" or base of herbal notes. Somewhat angular??? tannins, though, and the alcohol sticks out. Can't hold a candle to the Breton lineup. 83 points.

2005 Terra Valentine Cabernet Sauvignon Spring Mountain. Urf. This is not in a good place right now. The oak is really sticking out, and there are some pretty serious tannins. Quite green as well. Still...this might be nice in 5-10 years?

I am still surprised that people can actually enjoy Napa Valley cabs from the 2005 vintage right now. There are some wines (at high price points) that are goopy (spoofulated!) blackberry milkshakes that might be drinkable now, but many of the cabs seem tight and harsh right now.

2006 Hoftstadter Pinot Nero Bright, light, cherry fruity style of Pinot Noir. Not really my style (I want more dirt and mushrooms!) but it was popular on Sunday. :?
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Brian Gilp

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 23, 2006 5:50 pm

Re: WTN: More Tree Bark Woes + Other Tastings

by Brian Gilp » Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:17 pm

Brian K Miller wrote:I am still surprised that people can actually enjoy Napa Valley cabs from the 2005 vintage right now. There are some wines (at high price points) that are goopy (spoofulated!) blackberry milkshakes that might be drinkable now, but many of the cabs seem tight and harsh right now.

I don't usually start to consider drinking Napa cabs until 5 years after the vintage and more generally 7-8. Most of what I am drinking now is 99 or 01 vintage. Still keeping a small number of wines from the early 90's such as Insignia, Etude, BV GDL, Forman, Shafer HSS. I just don't like young Napa Cab.
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

Re: WTN: More Tree Bark Woes + Other Tastings

by Brian K Miller » Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:55 pm

Brian Gilp wrote:
Brian K Miller wrote:I am still surprised that people can actually enjoy Napa Valley cabs from the 2005 vintage right now. There are some wines (at high price points) that are goopy (spoofulated!) blackberry milkshakes that might be drinkable now, but many of the cabs seem tight and harsh right now.

I don't usually start to consider drinking Napa cabs until 5 years after the vintage and more generally 7-8. Most of what I am drinking now is 99 or 01 vintage. Still keeping a small number of wines from the early 90's such as Insignia, Etude, BV GDL, Forman, Shafer HSS. I just don't like young Napa Cab.

I've had some good luck with 2001s lately. I might open a Heitz Trailside soon!

I have a Raymond Generations 1999 that is calling me, but it requires visiting off-site storage and searching through boxes, so.... At least it's been stored well. Hopefully, my palate has not changed to the point I won't enjoy it (loved the 1998s, though). :?
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach