The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Riesling extravaganza (G-Max, Unendlich, a '67, '71s..)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:26 pm

albany, ny

WTN: Riesling extravaganza (G-Max, Unendlich, a '67, '71s..)

by Salil » Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:26 pm

EAST VILLAGE RIESLING EXTRAVAGANZA - New York (1/31/2009)

Robert Dentice and his wife Renee hosted a few of us on Saturday night for a spectacular night of Riesling. Six of us drank through an amazing array of Rieslings with some wonderful home-made food (the highlight of which was Renee's black pepper ice cream which elicited as many wows as any of the Rieslings). A truly incredible night - thanks for organizing and hosting this Robert and Renee.

Starting sparkler
  • 2002 Raumland Triumvirat - Grande Cuvée Brut - Germany, Pfalz
    Intense nose with aromas of green apple, lime and minerals over softer yeasty and smoky notes. Savoury in the mouth with layers of white fruits and apples mingled with mineral and truffle flavours over bright acidity and fine bubbles. Finishes long and clean. (93 pts.)
Keller dry wines
Okay - NOW I get the hype. WOW!
  • 2006 Weingut Keller Riesling G-Max - Germany, Rheinhessen
    Decanted a day ahead of the dinner. Freaking insane nose that just explodes with minerals. Smells like a rock quarry with flavours of pineapple, green apple, talc and aloe underneath. Absurd in the mouth; glossy in texture and almost weightless with a rocky/gravelly mineral character and an incredible purity and precision to the fruit underneath. Finishes long with incredibly refreshing minty, almost icy sensations on the back. Wow. (97 pts.)
  • 2006 Weingut Keller Westhofener Abtserde Riesling Großes Gewächs - Germany, Rheinhessen
    An amazing wine and the contrast with the G-Max is fascinating - this is more expressive on the nose with intense floral aromas, spices, melon and what I can only try to describe as being an almost oceanic character with sea breeze, seaweed and saline notes. Incredibly light and polished on the palate with bright pineapple, melon and lime flavours infused with salty minerals. Finishes long with a sense of glycerin sweetness in the back. (95 pts.)
Unendlichs
  • 2007 F.X. Pichler Riesling Unendlich - Austria, Niederösterreich, Wachau
    Unreal nose - how do you describe this? Incredibly expressive and aromatic with bright flavours of melon, pineapple, mango and lime infused with a massive rocky mineral character with notes of pine cones and orange peel emerging with more air. Immense and full bodied yet perfectly balanced and light on its feet with brilliant acidity and precision. Absurdly long finish with the mineral and fruit sensations lingering on in the back of the mouth for a good while. (98 pts.)
  • 2006 F.X. Pichler Riesling Unendlich - Austria, Niederösterreich, Wachau
    This has an explosive nose showing incredibly ripe mango, pineapple and melon flavours over rocky minerals and a little perceptible alcohol. In the mouth this feels bigger and riper than the '07 Unendlich with massive fruit and mineral flavours that echo the nose, but without the same sense of balance and precision. Finishes long with a little glycerin sweetness and hints of honey on the back end. (93 pts.)
Pichler Smaragds
  • 2002 F.X. Pichler Riesling Smaragd Loibner Steinertal - Austria, Niederösterreich, Wachau
    Very slightly corked with a faint musty note perceptible among flavours of white fruits, yellow peach and pineapple. Still drinkable but lacking the intensity of flavour I'd otherwise expect. NR (flawed)
  • 2007 F.X. Pichler Riesling Smaragd Dürnsteiner Kellerberg - Austria, Niederösterreich, Wachau
    This tastes like wine made from rocks - all mineral. Shows layers of stones, slate and salts over hints of lemon and green apple across the nose and palate, with incredible Alpine water-like clarity and purity. Bright acidity keeps this very light on its feet, and this finishes long with a sensation of rocks and salts almost dissolving into your tongue. Fabulous. (94 pts.)
  • 2007 F.X. Pichler Riesling Smaragd Loibner Steinertal - Austria, Niederösterreich, Wachau
    Fabulous wine combining brilliant pear, apple and white fruit flavours with layers of stony minerals. With air this picks up smoky and spicy nuances, unravelling more layers with time and finishing long and clean. (93 pts.)
Older Rieslings
  • 1971 Von Schubert Maximin Grünhauser Abtsberg Riesling Auslese - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer
    AP #36. Started out showing baked apple flavours mingled with honey and some brown spices, but felt old and lacking in acidity. With air this seemed to fall away, picking up some oxidative notes with the fruit fading.
  • 1971 Egon Müller Scharzhofberger Riesling Spätlese - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer
    AP #142-4-72. Beautiful deep golden colour. Has an almost sherried note initially that blows off with air to reveal beautiful minty, herbal and tobacco aromas mingled with baked peach and apple flavours. Medium bodied, subtle and elegant in the mouth with more baked apple and peach layered with mint, green herbs and honey flavours. This got better and better with air as some acidity emerged to add lift and the fruit flavours seemed to gain in weight and intensity. Finishes a little light, but an amazing wine to sit down with and explore. (94 pts.)
  • 1967 Weingut Gustav Geffert Niersteiner Auflangen Riesling feine Auslese - Germany, Rheinhessen
    Clear gold-amber colour in the glass. Stunning nose of earth, honey, saffron, citrus and mandarin orange with leafy and nutty notes emerging with air. Incredibly complex on the palate with burnished apple, citrus and white fruit flavours mingled with tobacco, hazelnut, saffron and brown sugar over surprisingly good acidity. Seamless. Absolutely stunning. (96 pts.)
Older Rieslings II
  • 1983 Joh. Jos. Prüm Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Auslese - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer
    AP #10-84. Clear light yellow-gold colour. Some mustiness on the nose at first, but with a little air this shows a lovely flavour profile of bright green and red apple fruit mingled with hints of smoke and butterscotch over slatey minerals. Finishes with medium length - a lovely, understated wine that needed a bit more attention and time in the glass than what I gave it while moving back and forth between the Rangen/young Rieslings and the old Auslese. (91 pts.)
  • 1991 Zind-Humbrecht Riesling Rangen de Thann Clos St. Urbain - France, Alsace, Thann, Alsace Grand Cru AOC
    Incredibly pale yellow colour. Tastes as young as it looks, tightly wound and austere initially, but opening out with air to reveal grapefruit, lemon and green apple over savoury smoky and earthy notes and a bed of stony minerals. This is an 18 year old wine? (92 pts.)
Young Spätlese
  • 2005 Egon Müller Scharzhofberger Riesling Spätlese - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer
    AP #05-06, this is the auction bottling. Absolutely stunning nose with perfumed flowers, spices, lime, peach, apple and slatey aromas exploding from the glass. Incredibly vibrant, almost electric in the mouth with brilliant acidity, pure, clear fruit and slate flavours and some honey and spice notes on the back suggesting a little botrytis. The finish is all slate and orchard fruits with tremendous length - an absolutely stunning wine. (97 pts.)
  • 2001 Dönnhoff Niederhäuser Hermannshöhle Riesling Spätlese - Germany, Nahe
    Spectacular once again. Combines peach, apple and white fruit flavours with slate, salty minerals, spices and hints of smoke and petrol. Incredibly precise and light; almost weightless in the mouth with a silky texture and a long finish. Fabulous. (97 pts.)
  • 2007 Schäfer-Fröhlich Bockenauer Felseneck Riesling Spätlese Goldkapsel - Germany, Nahe
    Dominated by a ton of sulphur. There's a lot of rich sweet fruit underneath and plenty of acidity, but the sulphur obscures everything else here. Has the stuffing and balance to be a stunning wine once the sulphur blows off/integrates.
Dessert
  • 1999 Wittmann Westhofener Morstein Riesling Auslese - Germany, Rheinhessen
    Full bodied and intense, showing expressive flavours of red fruits, apples, peaches, honey, nuts and flowers across the nose and palate. Creamy in texture with good acidity underneath keeping it in balance and a long sweet finish. (93 pts.)
no avatar
User

Martin Barz

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:22 am

Re: WTN: Riesling extravaganza (G-Max, Unendlich, a '67, '71s..)

by Martin Barz » Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:03 pm

Salil, did David B. who is doubtfully concerning the Keller wines also attended this tasting?
http://berlinkitchen.com
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sun Feb 01, 2009 4:22 pm

No, I did not. I am not pleased either. ;)
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Martin Barz

Rank

Ultra geek

by Martin Barz » Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:03 pm

BTW David, last week the winemakers from Rheinhessen, Nahe, Pfalz and Ahr were in town and presented their Grosse Gewächse. 2007 "Hermannshöhle" GG from Dönnhoff outperformed all other Rieslings including "Kirchspiel" and "Hubacker" from Keller. Unbelievable fantastic Riesling at the moment........such open and complex.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:18 pm

Sounds like a fun time. Kudos for resisting any temptation to insert a red wine..

Out of curiosity, was this in someone's home?

Were there different courses of food served to match with each flight of wine?
no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

albany, ny

by Salil » Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:53 pm

Temptation to insert red wine? We're all Riesling geeks - at worst we were thinking about a rogue Rieslaner, Gruner or Scheu. :D

Were there different courses of food served to match with each flight of wine?

Yes - Robert Dentice put this together at his home and served several courses with the wines:
Starters various salamis/sausages/dried meats and bread with the dry wines
Gingered cabbage soup with the Pichler Smaragds
Salad of radish, pumpkin seeds, popcorn and greens
Grilled pork and stuffed apple with some starch on the side - along with the older Rieslings
Black pepper ice cream (intermission between the wines)
Apricot tart with the Wittmann and the young Spatlesen
Cheeses with leftovers of the other wines.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:12 pm

Salil Benegal wrote:Starters various salamis/sausages/dried meats and bread with the dry wines
Gingered cabbage soup with the Pichler Smaragds
Salad of radish, pumpkin seeds, popcorn and greens
Grilled pork and stuffed apple with some starch on the side - along with the older Rieslings
Black pepper ice cream (intermission between the wines)
Apricot tart with the Wittmann and the young Spatlesen
Cheeses with leftovers of the other wines.

Intelligent menu. Nice.

I assume the popcorn was added at the last minute, otherwise it could get pretty soggy.

Interesting idea though.
no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

albany, ny

by Salil » Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:26 pm

Yeah, the popcorn was added last so it was still dry/had a nice crunch to it when we ate. Really great food (although I really struggled to do justice on the last few courses - bar the ice cream which was just unbelievable - basically a small feast that seemed ready to feed far more than just 6 people).

On an aside I took home leftovers of the Schafer-Frohlich GKS. Decanted it for about 3 or 4 hours and there's still a tiny hint of sulfur showing - though it's a very pleasant wine with bright fruit and some nice minerality/pine notes underneath. Solid - but not what I'd expect given its price, and I'm still struggling to understand why Schafer-Frohlich gets that massive 'new wine superstar' hype - as I've enjoyed a few of his wines, but nothing's come close to blowing me away like a Donnhoff, Keller, Selbach-Oster or Schaefer.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:12 pm

Salil Benegal wrote:I'm still struggling to understand why Schafer-Frohlich gets that massive 'new wine superstar' hype..

I don't really follow the hype so I don't know exactly what comparisons or superlatives are being discussed. But I was certainly convinced of the quality of the wines when I had all the 06s up through the high-level sweet wines. They were impressively elegant for their pradikat and very 'successful'. That said, I've also been put off by sulfur in the kabinett-spatlese realm so I don't really have a handle on that.
no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

albany, ny

by Salil » Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:31 pm

I haven't had the higher end sweet wines Rahsaan - most of my drinking tends to be around the "Kabinett"-Spatlese realm with a few Auslesen here and there, as I find those the best matches with most of the food I eat/cook.

But I've noticed a lot of hype re. Schafer-Frohlich calling him one of the top new superstars in Germany and a rival to Donnhoff (a comparison which I'm personally a long way from believing - but then again I am ridiculously biased towards Donnhoff. :)) - I'm still not convinced, but then again I probably should try some of his other 06s (besides his halbtrocken which I found pleasant, if over sulphured) or a higher end wine.
no avatar
User

Martin Barz

Rank

Ultra geek

by Martin Barz » Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:26 am

Rahsaan wrote:

Here is the location: http://www.aiany.org/designawards/2...teriors/421.htm

I saw the location also in the ELLE magazine from my wife.
no avatar
User

Martin Barz

Rank

Ultra geek

by Martin Barz » Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:28 am

Salil,

could you please explain more about the blackpepper ice-cream. Or is there any chance to get the recipe? Vielen Dank!!! :D

I also don´t understand the hype of Schäfer-Fröhlich wines........

Skaal,
Martin
no avatar
User

David Lole

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:49 am

Canberra, Australia

by David Lole » Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:04 am

Terrific dinner, terrific notes. Good to see you drinking some "old stuff", Salil. :P
Cheers,

David
no avatar
User

Peter Ruhrberg

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:03 pm

Germany

by Peter Ruhrberg » Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:49 am

Salil,
that must have been one hell of an evening... It confirms my impression that F.X. Pichler has turned a corner with 07. His Kellerberg was quite a surprise to me last year in a blind tasting. When was the last time his wines tasted mineral, balanced, even light on their feet? From prvious year I only recall alcoholic monsters...

Two legendary Spätlesen you had there (Müller & Dönnhoff). It doesn't get any better...

Peter
no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

albany, ny

by Salil » Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:24 pm

Martin Barz wrote:Salil,

could you please explain more about the blackpepper ice-cream. Or is there any chance to get the recipe? Vielen Dank!!! :D

The black pepper icecream is hard to describe/explain. Let's just say it wowed as many people at the table as any of the top wines - just an amazing combination of sweetness, pepper and a salty tinge underneath. Amazing dish, and I need to try and get the recipe from Robert and Renee. (BTW Martin, that link you posted above doesn't work.)

Peter - a couple of the guys at the dinner (who're big Austrian/Pichler fans) suggested that it's better to buy Pichler in slightly cooler/more classical years rather than massively ripe years like 06. I've found even his 06 Federspiel to be a massive wine (while balanced) - whereas I was stunned by a couple of his Kellerberg Smaragd wines (Gruner and Riesling) from 2001 and 2000 which were fantastic wines - big, yes, but beautifully balanced with good acid and minerality.
But even then the 07 Kellerberg was a shock at first for the lightness/minerality in comparison with every other Pichler wine I've tried - there were comments that it tasted more like Clos Ste. Hune at first than a Smaragd.
no avatar
User

Martin Barz

Rank

Ultra geek

by Martin Barz » Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:22 pm