The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: a few bubblies

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

WTN: a few bubblies

by John Tomasso » Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:54 am

Schramsberg Mirabelle NV Brut Rosé - California
This was our warm up bottle. And a nice bottle of bubbly it was, too. The wine is light salmon colored with a robust bead and a creamy mousse.
I pick up pinot noir on the nose, and some barrel smells, vanilla mostly. It is light and lively on the palate, especially when colder. As it warms up, it picks up some winier notes, and is less interesting. Still, better than it needed to be for about $15

Paul Déthune NV Grand Cru Bru
t
Light in color. Very effervescent mousse. The wine is all acid at first, with very little poking through. It is light as air on the tongue. As it warms, it turns creamy on the palate, lots of green apple flavor. Correct, and tasty, but it didn't really ring my bell.

Marcel Moineaux 1998 Grand Cru Blanc de Blanc Brut

Oh yeah, this is more my cup of tea. Light amber in color, the glass just pumps wonderful aromas of yeast and biscuits. There's more biscuit on the palate, along with roasted nuts. This is a complex wine, and it's in a really nice place right now. Delicious.
"I say: find cheap wines you like, and never underestimate their considerable charms." - David Rosengarten, "Taste"
no avatar
User

David Creighton

Rank

Wine guru

Wed May 24, 2006 10:07 am

ann arbor, michigan

Re: WTN: a few bubblies

by David Creighton » Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:59 am

more info? villages? price? RM's?
david creighton
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

Re: WTN: a few bubblies

by John Tomasso » Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:24 pm

David, the Dèthune is from Ambonnay, and the Moineaux is from Chouilly Marne.
I believe them both to be RMs but I am not 100% certain of that.

As to price, I can't help you because these were brought by someone, and I did not ask.
"I say: find cheap wines you like, and never underestimate their considerable charms." - David Rosengarten, "Taste"