The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Plouzeau Chinon "Rive Gauche" 2007

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David Z

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:06 pm

WTN: Plouzeau Chinon "Rive Gauche" 2007

by David Z » Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:41 am

A cheapie off the wine list at Corton (a disappointing and expensive wine list at the heir-to-Montrachet, but the food was excellent). I paid $40 off the list, so I figure ~$13-15 retail.

Great QPR. Rasperry, cassis, tobacco, more fruit than your typical Loire Cab Franc but without a loss of varietal typicity. Medium weight, silky tannins, snappy acidity. Frankly, I enjoyed this more than my recent bottles from Raffault and Jouguet (sp?).

EDIT: I should add that the sommelier couldn't answer a basic question about a wine on the in house wine list (Whether the Mas Cal Demoura "L'Infidèle" is a second wine or just a separate cuvee from the other Mas Cal Demoura red with a different name which sells for a higher price). That shocked me. I also saw the sommelier upsell the table next to us from a nice little 2006 Burg to a 2004 Pommard, claiming, and I quote, "1999 and 2004 are the best drinking Burgundy vintages available today". Right, and I'm Santa Claus.
The glasses were fine.
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

Re: WTN: Plouzeau Chinon "Rive Gauche" 2007

by Tim York » Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:41 am

Plouzeau is a new estate to me but it sounds well worth searching out.

In the days of Jean-Pierre Jullien, l'Infidèle was, I think, the top cuvée at Cal Demoura with a simple Coteaux de Languedoc below. Under the new owner, Vincent Goumard, there is a more expensive cuvée, Les Combariolles, but I don't know whether the basic CdL still exists. I'm not sure when the change occurred but there were both Combariolles and Inidèle in 05 and 06.

That sommelier sounds a real w**ker!!!
Tim York