The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Wines that won't outlive you

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

Wines that won't outlive you

by Bill Spohn » Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:52 pm

no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:26 pm

albany, ny

Re: Wines that won't outlive you

by Salil » Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:11 pm

Nice article, thanks for sharing that. Good to see some more love for the Wynn's Coonawarra Estate Cab (probably the most unbelievable Cab value I've seen at ~$16, and the lack of it these days in the US market pains me) there. :)
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:56 am

Good article. I am already broadly following that policy. I slowed down on Bordeaux from the turn of the millenium and the last GC I bought was Pontet-Canet 04. My last decent Burg purchase was of 2002 and of Barolo 1999.

I fully agree with Southern Rhône and Chianti (indeed all Tuscan Sangiovese except Brunello) as choices for ongoing purchases of reds for a short/medium term horizon and would add Languedoc/Roussilon, the Loire valley, Beaujolais, Montepulciano d'Abruzzo and some Rioja. Most whites, even those which keep well and improve with time after a closed period, are usually delicious in the first year after bottling and I now look on new purchases in that perspective.

I'm not so sure about Burgundy. In my experience of GC and 1er C and even villages, some of the "lesser" years like 2000 provide delicious drinking young but others like 93, 95, 96 and 99 need time. I look to the Côte Chalonnaise where the wines develop more rapidly.

I am hoping that stocks built up of the 90s vintages and earlier will see me through my needs for Bordeaux, Burgundy, N. Rhône, CndP, Barolo/Barbaresco, traditional Rioja, mature Mosel, etc.
Tim York
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:06 pm

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:00 pm

Good article. And sound reasoning. One of the reasons this old fart keeps buying - and drinking - Oregon pinot noirs.
Rex solutus est a legibus - NOT
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:19 pm

Salil Benegal wrote:Nice article, thanks for sharing that. Good to see some more love for the Wynn's Coonawarra Estate Cab (probably the most unbelievable Cab value I've seen at ~$16, and the lack of it these days in the US market pains me) there. :)

Agreed. I bought my last two cases for $9.99, though. Neener neener. :)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:44 pm

Neither chortle nor scoff,but one of the few advantages of attaining a certain age status is that one no longer needs to buy wines that will cellar for 30 or more years. Another, at least for men, as was noted by George Steiner was that after the age of 70, one can comment to a young woman of 25 that she has beautiful hair and she will smile at you because she knows you're not starting with her. The sad part of that of course is that you really do want to start with her.

Best
Rogov