The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN(not): 1989 Clos de Gamot Cahors

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

WTN(not): 1989 Clos de Gamot Cahors

by Oswaldo Costa » Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:28 am

1989 Clos de Gamot Cahors 12.5%
Because top Cahors are reputed to be too tough in their infancy, I picked this up at Chambers at least six years ago for an old world v. new world malbec face-off that never materialized. Recently gave up on the idea because all my malbecs date from 2002 onwards.

The top of the cork looked pristine but it was uniformly stained from the middle downwards. The smell from the bottleneck was lightly oxidised, but I still hoped for the best. In the glass, there was nothing much except stewed prunes and light oxidation. In the mouth, it was reasonably balanced, drinkable, but completely devoid of pleasure. After a short conference, we decided to chuck it; life's too short to waste on tasteless calories. I only post this note as a data point. Not about the wine, but against corks. Stupid anachronism.
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN(not): 1989 Clos de Gamot Cahors

by David M. Bueker » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:32 am

At least it wasn't reductive or dosed with scandalous levels of copper. :twisted: :wink:
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:56 am

I have been underwhelmed by the offerings of the Jouffreau family (Cayrou and Gamot) in recent years, particularly a very unattractive Gamot 02 drunk in a Cahors restaurant last year. In the 70s and early 80s when the late Jean Jouffreau was active, they made excellent wines; I'm not sure if he was still around by 1989. Incidentally he was one of those wonderfully pithy characters exuding terroir himself, who occasionally light up one's day in unexpected places in France.

Cork performance is the prime source of bottle variability, but I have had some wonderful wines from bottles with leaky corks including a Mas Jullien 1989.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

São Paulo, Brazil

by Oswaldo Costa » Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:34 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:At least it wasn't reductive or dosed with scandalous levels of copper. :twisted: :wink:

True, and that reminds me how I wasn't even grateful for the "romance" of pulling the cork...
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

São Paulo, Brazil

by Oswaldo Costa » Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:36 pm

Tim York wrote:Cork performance is the prime source of bottle variability, but I have had some wonderful wines from bottles with leaky corks including a Mas Jullien 1989.

Which is why they only make me say "oh, oh"... Even the nose can be misleading. Despair only sets in upon tasting!
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:36 pm

Too bad!
I had a good but not great '89 Cayrou recently. Not sure who was in charge then.
no avatar
User

David Z

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:06 pm

by David Z » Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:49 am

I've had the '89 and '82 Cayrou, both bought at Chambers St., and they were both rather unfortunate messes of coffee, prune, and VA. Don't really get why they stocked those old vintages a few years back, since I've yet to hear of a really good performance by a bottle.