The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Two lovely Jura Chards, good Marmande & Baudry Chinon

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

WTN: Two lovely Jura Chards, good Marmande & Baudry Chinon

by Tim York » Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:06 am

Côtes du Marmandais “Clos Bacquey” 1998 – Domaine Elian da Ros, made from Merlot and CabFranc about 35% each, CabSauvignon and Abouriou about 15% each, showed a beautiful nose of red fruit, kirsch and deliciously light varnish after which the palate was a slight let down though it showed a good roundness, depth, acidity and tannic grip, finishing slightly dryly but with some elegance; it would honour a lesser Grand Cru from Saint-Émilion; 15.5/20++. (This was the second year from a very dependable estate which far outstrips the average standard of its appellation about 100km South-East of Bordeaux; recent vintages are even better. Apologies for giving a link in French but these are really excellent notes for those who can read them http://www.lapassionduvin.com/mag/eliandaros.php . )

Chinon “Le Clos Guillot” 2000 – Bernard Baudry was less deliciously complete than the cheaper “Les Granges” 00 drunk in mid 2008 but nevertheless very attractive in its elegant, quite light bodied style showing crisp acidity, red fruit, some earthiness and leafiness and a lot of minerals; 15.5/20++.

I was impressed by the Jura Chardonnays from Labet and Rijckaert at tastings last year and was curious to see how they showed with food. I am happy to report that they seem even better in this natural context. Côtes du Jura Fleur de Marne “La Bardette” 2005 – Domaine Labet was quite rich, tangy, mineral, long and elegant with fresh acidity, some cream, white fruit and a light note of toast; everything was beautifully integrated and any new wood has been deftly handled; will it age? It is so delicious now that I am tempted to drink up fast; 17/20. Côtes du Jura “Vigne des Voises” Chardonnay 2004 – Régine & Jean Rijckaert – showed slightly more intensity of broadly similar flavours to the Labet and was more showy but a tad less well integrated and slightly marred, for me, like a lot from Rijckaert by caramel notes on the finish; very good, though; 16/20+. (This was the second bottle opened after the first was badly corked with aromas like honey fungus under the bark of a dying shrub.)
Tim York
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

Re: WTN: Two lovely Jura Chards, good Marmande & Baudry Chinon

by Oswaldo Costa » Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:04 am

Thanks for the excellent notes. You do drink such interesting wines.
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:11 pm

Tim York wrote:Chinon “Le Clos Guillot” 2000 – Bernard Baudry

Wow. Was this really 2000? I didn't think they started selling wines from this vineyard until a couple of vintages afterwards.

Did you buy it at the domaine?
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:45 pm

Rahsaan wrote:
Tim York wrote:Chinon “Le Clos Guillot” 2000 – Bernard Baudry

Wow. Was this really 2000? I didn't think they started selling wines from this vineyard until a couple of vintages afterwards.

Did you buy it at the domaine?

Rahsaan, here is a link to the relevant page of the Baudry website http://www.chinon.com/vignoble/Bernard- ... _vins.aspx . You can see that 2000 was the first vintage and the lightness I mention is no doubt due to young vines.

I bought it from a Belgian importer.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:02 pm

Tim York wrote: You can see that 2000 was the first vintage..

Ok, I obviously mixed up the dates by 1 or 2 years.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:35 pm

Oswaldo Costa wrote:Thanks for the excellent notes. You do drink such interesting wines.

I agree, always fun notes, lots of relevant info and some great links. Wish I could visit with Tim!

"You can only pick wines from the bottom 2 shelves Bob".
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:01 am

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote: Wish I could visit with Tim!

"You can only pick wines from the bottom 2 shelves Bob".

Yes, it would great to see you here, Bob. Less than 2 and half hours drive to both the Mosel and Champagne areas, 4+ to Alsace and 5+ to the Loire valley round Tours.

Oswaldo, too.
Tim York