The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: lively grüner, first bobal, unlively sherry

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Keith M

Rank

Beer Explorer

Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:25 am

Finger Lakes, New York

WTN: lively grüner, first bobal, unlively sherry

by Keith M » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:56 pm

2007 Glatzer Carnuntum Grüner Veltliner (Carnuntum, Niederösterreich, Austria) 12.5%, screwcap closure - imported to USA by Terry Theise Estate Selection, Michael Skurnik Wines, Syosset, New York – smell tart rhubarb and vegetables, very fresh, mouthfeel embedded spritz, touch of cream, taste, tartness/freshness, rhubarb, granny smith apple, almost crispy—whether mineral or vegetal, mighty decent pair with spicy, lively, and mighty tasty curry of kaen massaman kap manwan, tao hoo tod leh tua lisong (massaman curry with sweet potato, fried tofu squares, and peanuts) with the spiciness and vibrancy of the curry (which nicely combined the hotness of dried new mexico chilies, the toastiness of coriander, cumin, cardamom and the like, and the sweet texture of coconut milk) the wine tasted vibrant, light, and almost airy, still tangily mineral on day two, a nice wine, if perhaps not quite swinging for me at its price of nearly $16.

2004 Dominio de la Vega Utiel-Requena Madurado en Barrica [blend of predominantly Bobal with Tempranillo and Cabernet Sauvignon] (Utiel-Requena DO, Valencia, eastern central Spain) cork closure, 13.5% - imported to USA by Jose Pastor Selection/Vinos & Gourmet, Richmond, California – my first bobal – smell huge wafting out of glass, floral paint, very rich fruit without a lot of sweetness, fresh fields of hay, taste lively dollop of fading acid upfront, rich, somewhat rounded but spicy and thinner than it first seems like, red fruit herb fest (Now with Spice!), lively and fun and a great match for some thin crust pizza from Zachary's with my normal topping of mushrooms, artichokes, and pepperoni, on day two the wine is mellower and more subtle, and lovely oh-so lovely, this wine is impressive stuff, setting expectations and then exceeding them when I wasn't paying attention, for $13, that's head turning stuff.

N.V. Emilio Lustau (Almacenista) Jerez-Xérès-Sherry Oloroso Pata del Gallina 1/38 Jarana (Jerez-Xérès-Sherry DO, Andalucía, southern Spain) by the glass at César – smell heavy/heavy lurking nose, raisins/nuts/depth, taste however is bright, velvety, and spicy, tastes kind of like rancid tamarind, initially seemed of interest, but wore poorly for me, unpleasant—feels worn out. Meh.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: WTN: lively grüner, first bobal, unlively sherry

by Rahsaan » Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:15 am

Keith M wrote:thin crust pizza from Zachary's

Zachary's does thin crust pizza? I must have forgotten.
no avatar
User

Victor de la Serna

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:50 pm

Madrid, Spain

by Victor de la Serna » Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:02 am

Dominio de la Vega is just 58% bobal, Keith, so it isn't really "a bobal". Benchmark bobal wines are Mustiguillo's Quincha Corral and Finca Terrerazo in the VT Terrerazo (they have the luxury of their own appellation) and Ponce's PF and Pino in the Manchuela DO,
no avatar
User

Keith M

Rank

Beer Explorer

Finger Lakes, New York

by Keith M » Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:42 pm

Victor de la Serna wrote:Dominio de la Vega is just 58% bobal, Keith, so it isn't really "a bobal". Benchmark bobal wines are Mustiguillo's Quincha Corral and Finca Terrerazo in the VT Terrerazo (they have the luxury of their own appellation) and Ponce's PF and Pino in the Manchuela DO,

Ahh, looks like I'll have to keep working to seek out my first bobal. Thanks for pointing out the benchmarks, Victor.
no avatar
User

Keith M

Rank

Beer Explorer

Finger Lakes, New York

by Keith M » Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:44 pm

Rahsaan wrote:Zachary's does thin crust pizza? I must have forgotten.

Yup, I strongly prefer it to the deep dish--which I haven't had in years as I'm not a big fan.
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:50 pm

Rahsaan wrote:
Keith M wrote:thin crust pizza from Zachary's

Zachary's does thin crust pizza? I must have forgotten.

It's worth forgetting IMO. I'm not a fan of Chicago-style thin crust in general, though the deep dish version doesn't appeal, either. I guess that I'm forever rooted in NYC/New Haven-style pizza.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:57 pm

Mark Lipton wrote:I guess that I'm forever rooted in NYC/New Haven-style pizza.
Mark Lipton

Ahhh, Wooster Street in New Haven. I wonder if Sally's and Pepe's Apizza are still around? Damn, I'm hungry.
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:59 pm

Sally's and Pepe's are most definitely still around. I had Pepe's within the last year. It's really good, though I am not a huge fan of the extensively (and intentionally) burned crust.
Decisions are made by those who show up