The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: A pair of everyday reds

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Joe Moryl

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:38 pm

New Jersey, USA

WTN: A pair of everyday reds

by Joe Moryl » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:28 pm

Both of these wines were $10 bottles grabbed off the shelf because they looked interesting. I've been drinking a fair bit of Argentine wines (mainly Malbecs or Torrontes) but have avoided Pinot Noir, because it doesn't seem like the grape most suited for typical Mendoza environments. Thought I should give one a try:

2006 Pinot Noir, Alfredo Roca, Mendoza, San Rafael:
Well colored for a PN, a decent, deep carmine. Seems a bit hot on the nose, with a bit of spice (my sense of smell had been thrown off by a recent cold, however). Nicely textured in the mouth, with some suave cherry fruit, reasonable length. Well proportioned, the heat on the nose does not come through on the palate. Oak is not obtrusive. Reminds me not so much of CA but OR PN, but a bottle of similar quality from that state is likely to run you double the price. Good for a $10 PN, a difficult category. 13.0 abv.

2004 Singularis, Paulo Laureano, Vinho Regional Alentejano:
What we have here is an 80% Aragones (aka Tempranillo) and 20% Tricandeira blend from a hot part of Portugal. Very inky dark, with lots of plummy, herbal action on the nose. A bit of funk as well. Quite big and brambly, with a lot of depth for a $10 wine. A bit in your face, but if you are looking for a large styled Zin type wine, this might work. Might be interesting to try this a few years down the road. Well made for what it is.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: WTN: A pair of everyday reds

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:52 pm

Interesting note on the Alentejano. I am a big fan of Portugal and one store here has many of the goods! I am going to post on an `00 Esporao Garrafeira tomorrow