The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Breaking news- one needs to be skeptical of winefair medals

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Breaking news- one needs to be skeptical of winefair medals

by Dale Williams » Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:04 pm

no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

Re: Breaking news- one needs to be skeptical of winefair medals

by Redwinger » Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:19 pm

LINCOLN SHOT!!!

:D
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:27 pm

D'OH!!!!!!!!!!!!
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:06 pm

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:02 pm

Gee, I wonder if the same thing could possibly be true of regular old folk, too.
Rex solutus est a legibus - NOT
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

by Thomas » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:20 am

ChefJCarey wrote:Gee, I wonder if the same thing could possibly be true of regular old folk, too.

Not a chance. There's always an external reason for a regular fellow's inconsistency...
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:55 pm

A friend's recommendation has always - always - been more valuable than any score, be it from Parker or any other source.
no avatar
User

Ruth B

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:32 am

Alberta Canada

by Ruth B » Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Jon Peterson wrote:A friend's recommendation has always - always - been more valuable than any score, be it from Parker or any other source.

Particularly if that friend shares similar tastes. Conversely if my Mom loves the wine, probably I will give it a pass. :)
Ruth
Just North of Nowhere
Alberta Canada
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

by Dale Williams » Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:54 pm

Thomas wrote:
ChefJCarey wrote:Gee, I wonder if the same thing could possibly be true of regular old folk, too.
Not a chance. There's always an external reason for a regular fellow's inconsistency...

Really, you think most amateurs claim consistency? Most of the ones I know cheerfully acknowledge that they can be inconsistent (some of us explicitly point it out with every tasting note). Personally, I don't have any problem posting a TN that contradicts an earlier one I had made, and often see others reconsidering wines. Most of us just record our impressions, and let the reader decide what to think.

Ruth, agreed, I have good friends that the fact that they love a wine makes me disinclined to buy it. No knock on their tasting ability, but our tastes don't match.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

by Dale Williams » Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:56 pm

Actually, the only people I know who claim to be truly consistent are certain pros, who always decline to taste blind publicly.
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:06 pm

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:28 pm

I guess you're lucky not to know a couple of the arrogant (and silly) amateurs I have known.

I found the study quite interesting. This fella Hodgson toiled at Humboldt State (alongside one of my oldest friends) until he retired and decided to really get into wine. In his previous life he was an oceanographer. :)
Rex solutus est a legibus - NOT
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

by Thomas » Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:34 pm

Dale Williams wrote:Actually, the only people I know who claim to be truly consistent are certain pros, who always decline to taste blind publicly.

Dale,

You likely haven't run blind tastings for non pros as many times as I have.

That stuff about the judges is nothing new. Any good blind judging should "test" tasters with a few duplicates, not to trip them up, but to establish their level of consistency. It's a rare bird who is right on all the time.
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:26 pm

Dale Williams wrote:Actually, the only people I know who claim to be truly consistent are certain pros, who always decline to taste blind publicly.

Not sure (and not asking) to which pros you refer but I will say that the small circle of people whom I can proudly call "colleagues" won't hesitate to taste blind, even before an audience, so long as the conditions are right. One of the great pleasures of being "a pro"is the occasion to laugh at oneself for one's bad guesses.

On the other hand, the critic who agrees to a blind tasting in a television studio is a fool - the hot lights, aromas of perspiration, and pressure to perform "on camera" being too much for anyone to concentrate or focus as should be the case.

As to how blind tastings should be conducted, either in public or in one's own tasting room - one of the critical elements is that of "doubling up" wines, that is to say, of having the same wine served to you in two different flights, with two different numbered glasses and then, once the bottles have been unveiled, to see how close your tasting notes are from the two tastings. If not close enough (with re points let's say 1.5-2 points variation maximum), the notes from the entire tasting should be discarded as that reveals that either your palate or your concentration was not finely tuned enough at that particular tasting.

Best
Rogov
no avatar
User

Keith M

Rank

Beer Explorer

Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:25 am

Finger Lakes, New York

by Keith M » Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:07 pm

Daniel Rogov wrote:On the other hand, the critic who agrees to a blind tasting in a television studio is a fool - the hot lights, aromas of perspiration, and pressure to perform "on camera" being too much for anyone to concentrate or focus as should be the case.

Wasn't there stories about some major US wine critic doing precisely that, correctly identifying almost all the wines with which they were presented on a French television show (and a surprise, on-the-spot nonetheless). Seems like such a story has been floating around in cyberspace . . .
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

by Dale Williams » Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:23 pm

Keith M wrote:
Daniel Rogov wrote:On the other hand, the critic who agrees to a blind tasting in a television studio is a fool - the hot lights, aromas of perspiration, and pressure to perform "on camera" being too much for anyone to concentrate or focus as should be the case.

Wasn't there stories about some major US wine critic doing precisely that, correctly identifying almost all the wines with which they were presented on a French television show (and a surprise, on-the-spot nonetheless). Seems like such a story has been floating around in cyberspace . . .

Well, there's A story, from a posting by the critic on Prodigy, where he did this amazing feat on French TV, and which was told on and off in cyberspace for years. Except......I couldn't find evidence of this "TV superstar" and wondered why the same post kept surfacing, but no other witnesses. So some questions were asked. Turns out that the show was never aired, the critic has a copy of the tape but doesn't know where, etc. So the "evidence" of this feat of blind tasting consists of one 13-year old post.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

by Dale Williams » Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:36 pm

CC and Thomas:

Sure I know some arrogant #$%^ole amateurs who make amazing claims and excuses, just as I know some arrogant #$%^ole professionals. But most of the amateurs (in the original sense) as well as most of the pros are aware of their possible inconsistency, and take it in good humor.
My "serious" blind tasting group is about half pro and half amateur, luckily everyone has good humor.
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

by Thomas » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:09 pm

Dale Williams wrote:CC and Thomas:

Sure I know some arrogant #$%^ole amateurs who make amazing claims and excuses, just as I know some arrogant #$%^ole professionals. But most of the amateurs (in the original sense) as well as most of the pros are aware of their possible inconsistency, and take it in good humor.
My "serious" blind tasting group is about half pro and half amateur, luckily everyone has good humor.

Dale,

It isn't amateurs that have disappointed me in their attitude concerning the results of truly blind tastings--it's the so-called geeks, the ones who claim to be a notch above the everyday amateur (and some pros, too).

In my view, testing consistency is educational. Sadly, too many people can't get past their egos to accept such experiences as educational; instead, they approach it as a test of their mettle.

I don't hold reverence for much that passes for professional wine criticism, so that is not the benchmark that I use to evaluate the effectiveness of truly blind tastings, where tasters know nothing, or very little specific about what's in front of them.
Thomas P
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:49 pm

Still bitter Thomas? :wink:
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

by Thomas » Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:07 am

David,

The operative word in my post is "disappointed." :|
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:38 am

Ruth B wrote:
Jon Peterson wrote:A friend's recommendation has always - always - been more valuable than any score, be it from Parker or any other source.

Particularly if that friend shares similar tastes. Conversely if my Mom loves the wine, probably I will give it a pass. :)

Now that's interesting - I hadn't thought about family in the same way I think about friends.
no avatar
User

Victorwine

Rank

Wine guru

Thu May 18, 2006 9:51 pm

by Victorwine » Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:37 am

Would it be so wrong for a consumer who follows and keeps tags on these “New World” wine competitions year in and year out, to view “New World” competitions in the same light as “Old World” appellation systems? Take both with a “grain of salt”. Basically they are doing the same thing. Appellation systems seek to protect the “value” of regional wines; competitions seek to determine the “value” of a wine in a given category or class of wine.

Salute
no avatar
User

Steve Slatcher

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:51 am

Manchester, England

by Steve Slatcher » Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:36 pm

Daniel Rogov wrote:As to how blind tastings should be conducted, either in public or in one's own tasting room - one of the critical elements is that of "doubling up" wines, that is to say, of having the same wine served to you in two different flights, with two different numbered glasses and then, once the bottles have been unveiled, to see how close your tasting notes are from the two tastings. If not close enough (with re points let's say 1.5-2 points variation maximum), the notes from the entire tasting should be discarded as that reveals that either your palate or your concentration was not finely tuned enough at that particular tasting.

Is that typically done? It seems that the variation at the California State Fair Wine Competition was a lot larger than that.

Having rules about consistency seems like a good idea, but simply insisting on consistency is clearly not sufficient. To take an extreme example, I could be 100% consistent by giving every wine the same score. So , you also need to incentivise judges to discriminate well between good and bad wines. When I used to look at panel scores in Decanter, I was alway surprised by how little spread there was in the scores - it seemed likethe evaluators were afraid to stick their necks out to say a wine was good or bad.
no avatar
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:17 pm

Steve, Hi....

I was not relating to panels of judges but to individual critics and then again to those individual critics from whom I have respect.

When it comes to the out and out value of competitions, I am strongly opposed to their value or validty. With one or two exceptions (the IWSC is one that jumps to mind), the vast number of these competitions are worthless except that those little medallions do help sell wine to an unsuspecting audience.

To understand a bit more about my condemnation of the majority of competitions, see my little article at http://www.stratsplace.com/rogov/intern ... _comp.html

To add a bit to that, in the time intervening since I wrote that piece, prizes have been upgraded. What was once gold is now "double-gold", what was formerly silver is now gold, and what was bronze is now silver. I eagerly await the first platinum, double platinu and U238 medals.

Best
Rogov
no avatar
User

Steve Slatcher

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:51 am

Manchester, England

by Steve Slatcher » Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:36 pm

Ah, yes. Sorry Rogov. Didn't read your point carefully enough.
no avatar
User

Victorwine

Rank

Wine guru

Thu May 18, 2006 9:51 pm

by Victorwine » Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:41 am

For those interested here’s a link to the California State Fair Commercial Wine Competition handbook for 2008;

http://www.thebestcaliforniawine.com/2008/WineBook.pdf

Not all competitions are set up the same way, some are international others are regional; they may have different entry requirements (this will actually widen or narrow down the actual “playing field”), slightly different judging guide lines etc.

Salute
Next