The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

PIEDMONT - the usual suspects......

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Martin Barz

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:22 am

PIEDMONT - the usual suspects......

by Martin Barz » Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:35 pm

1988 Bruno Giacosa, Barbaresco“Galina di Neive”
What a disappointment! Shy bouquet, then the classic Piedmont flavors of tar, autumn foliage, sous-bois, wood berries etc, BUT the wine lacked of the complexity&lenght&depth of a classic Giacosa. In general a quite dull appearance. And as David correctly pointed out, he presented also a “death-sweetness”. Certainly bad stored bottle!

“After 20 years there are no great wines, only great bottles”

1987 Roberto Voerzio, Barolo “La Serra”
Here comes the “women whisperer”........

I have to confess I was quite unfair with this wine during the tasting. Despite the fact that I am not a fan of this stilistic, I should have acknowledged the obvious qualities of this wine. This first ever-made Barolo from Roberto Voerzio revealed a fantastic balance and the freshness&youth was incredible.
All 4 women at the table fall in love with this Margaux-like elegance and charme (women whisperer!) Okay, okay..........I missed the classic Piedmont flavors and an outstanding complexity. Or as my friend David said “the next day you will have forgotten this wine”

1997 Produttori di Barbaresco “Pora”
Not for wimps! The bouquet and flavor profile of this Barbaresco reminds me rather on a very expensive single-malt whisky. Tar, turf, gunpowder with no end and a bombastic acidity+grip tannins. Surely not everyones cup of tea, but for me a wine with character. My wine No. 3 of the night. Was 7 hours in the decanter and it was really necessary. According to our host the wines from Produttori di Barbaresco are relatively cheap in comparison to the general high prices in Piedmont. I love it, what a rustic beast! A steal.......
91/100

1997 Produttori di Barbaresco “Rio Sordo”
Here we have the elegant version. Quite polished with the classic flavors of dogrose, sous-bois, tar. BUY
92/100

1998 Schiavenza, Barolo “Prapò”
YUM, YUM........this is Piedmont all about with flavors of tar, roses, sous-bois, broth, Maggi or lovage. Every sip is pure joy. Thankfully not such a perfect, exchangeable Noble-Barolo à la Gaja, Sandrone, Voerzio which you forget the next day or
as slippery as an eel on the palate. Very, very young at the moment but with great potential (94pts.). If my memories are correct, it was WOTN for the majority of the participants. My personal No. 2 at this tasting.
91-92+/100

1998 Parusso, Barolo “Bussia Vigna Rocche”
Fine bouquet. On the palate modern and “international” flavors with a lot of nougat. Again very charming and easy-drinking this modern version of a Barolo. At the beginning a bit one-dimensional (88pts.), but developped nicely in the glass.
89-90/100

2000 Aldo Conterno, Barolo“Bussia Soprana”
The first highlight of the night, the entry-level Barolo of Aldo Conterno. All the fruit is vinified using temperature controlled stainless steel vats and ages in traditional large Slavonian oak casks for 26-28 months.
Lovely perfumed, I could sniff hours at my stemware. Dense and present fruit of dog rose, violet, wood strawberry and sous-bois. Superb complex and structured on the palate. Clearly too young at the moment, so be patient the next couple of years. WOTN
92/100

2000 Prunotto Barolo
A real nose-wine! Really impressive perfume of violet, tar, roses and forest soil......classic Piedmont.
On the palate a nice acidity, harsh tannins and charming, round flavors of praline&nougat. This Barolo is a mix of old school and modern style. Unfortunately here again a lack of outstanding complexity&length. Good food- wine, that´s it.
88-89/100

1999 Luciano Sandrone , Nebbiolo d`Alba “Vallmaggiore”
Luciano Sandrone is together with Gaja,Voerzio one of the dynamic renovator of the Piedmont. This
Nebbiolo d`Alba comes from “south-facing vineyards with a high proportion of sand with vines planted at a very high density of 8000 per hectare. Malolactic is completed in 500-600 litre French oak barrels were the wine is aged”
Smooth and charming this wine, but lacks of any kind of outstanding length and complexity. Simply too polished and “modern” the whole appearance. All well and good this silky texture, but where is the beef?
85-88/100
Last edited by Martin Barz on Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://berlinkitchen.com
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

Re: PIEDMONT - the usual suspects......and a "women whisperer"

by Ian Sutton » Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:47 pm

Martin
Ta for these notes & good to have some mature wines in (even if one wasn't on form).

I recall 2 years ago in Alba, the Produttori single vineyard wines being sold for ~ Euro 22 in wine shops.

regards

Ian
Drink coffee, do stupid things faster
no avatar
User

Martin Barz

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:22 am

Re: PIEDMONT - the usual suspects......and a "women whisperer"

by Martin Barz » Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:58 pm

Yes Ian, the Produttori wines cost around 22 Euro. I will buy as much as I can from Produttori di Barbaresco.........
BTW, also two other friends who attended this tasting shared my view concerning the unique PQR
http://berlinkitchen.com