The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Excellent Rhones

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Diane (Long Island)

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:47 pm

WTN: Excellent Rhones

by Diane (Long Island) » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:50 am

The annual winter wine and food extravaganda at Peter Pratt's in Yorktowne, NY attracted more people than in the past, so the room was packed with wine lovers catching up from last year, talking about wine, planning for future wine dinners, and sharing bottles.

There were nine tables, each with a different theme. I chose the Rhone table - Rhone is my winter wine of choice.

As I was settling in, Dale Williams approached with a magnum of 2004 Pichon Vouvray - it was delightful with its light pear flavors. I enjoyed it.

As we gathered at the table, we started with a 1996 Veuve Clicquot Grande Dame - good way to start with its vibrant citrus and passion fruit, but falling a little flat on the end. Not worth the tarriff IMO.

On to the main event, but sadly the first wine poured, 2001 Les Cailloux Centenaire was defective. I could not get past the nose of dirty socks. I'm told the taste was no better. At the same time, a bottle of 2001 Caillou Le Quartz was being passed, and it was delicious. It was tannic, deep, dark, and brooding. That was followed by a 1990 Pignan - it was extremely youthful with a gorgeous palate of dark cherries and containing a ton of sediment. 1989 Beaucastel - what I would consider a perfectly mature CdP with a floral nose and sweet palate. It showed well. Someone unexpectedly pulled out a 1998 Beaucastel - this one kept me coming back for more. It was rich and complex with cherries and menthol and truly coming out of its shell. The top performer was a 2000 Beaucastel Hommage a Jacque Perrin - on the nose was beef blood and dark plums. Tannins are in the forefront, but they are soft and welcoming with spices and more of the same nuances as the nose. It was sophistication in a glass. We next had a flight of La Las. 1997 Guigal La Landonne - rich, young, and wild. I loved it. 1998 Delas La Landonne -more subdued than the Guigal, very concentrated, and suffered in its placement of following the Guigal. 2000 Guigal La Landonne - tightly coiled and lighter than the previous 2 bottles. The 1997 simply overpowered its flight partners. We ended with 2 1998s to accompany the cheese course. 1998 Paul Autard Cote Ronde - I found it disappointing. Not much showing on the nose, a little sour tasting. The person who brought it just bought it so I will attribute its shortcomings on possible poor provenance. It's just a guess as I haven't had this vintage of the Cote Ronde before. 1998 Jamet Cote Rotie had to work hard to even be noticed after this parade of treasures. This was my last bottle of the '98 Jamet, and I loved everyone of them. Scents and tastes of olive, orange peel, and meat, and was very good with the many cheeses. A 1990 Suduiraut made an appearance at our table, compliments of another, offering soft tangerine and honey notes,and it was a good closer.

Can't wait for next year.
Diane
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

Re: WTN: Excellent Rhones

by Mark Lipton » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:58 am

Nice lineup of wines, Diane. It's interesting reading your notes after reading Dale's about one of the Burg tables and Brad Kane's about a Bdx table. I feel like I've now triangulated the event! :wink: Interesting showing for the '97 Guigal La Landonne: it sounds as if the softer, somewhat flawed year of '97 has benefited the Guigal house style. That '98 Jamet is no slouch at all, though it probably was a bit overwhelmed by its company.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Diane (Long Island)

Rank

Wine guru

by Diane (Long Island) » Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:06 pm

Mark - I don't think notes from the California Cab or Rhone Ranger tables will make it to this board. I just read Dale's notes, and I will have to look for Brad's.
Diane
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:34 pm

Very nice lineup, Diane. Good to see you. For clarity, the Pinon was the Brut, a bubbly (I know you know that!)
no avatar
User

Diane (Long Island)

Rank

Wine guru

by Diane (Long Island) » Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:42 pm

Dale Williams wrote:Very nice lineup, Diane. Good to see you. For clarity, the Pinon was the Brut, a bubbly (I know you know that!)

Just making sure you are paying attention. :wink:

It was good to see you and Betsy.
Diane
no avatar
User

John F

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat May 20, 2006 3:50 am

by John F » Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:03 am

Diane

I have a case of the 1998 Beaucastel sitting in my cellar - it is one of the first cases of wine I bought as I got into all of this. Would you suggest I strt tapping into it or are there many years left?

Thanks
no avatar
User

Diane (Long Island)

Rank

Wine guru

by Diane (Long Island) » Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:52 am

Definitely try one. It has a ton of structure, and I'm sure there are many years left of enjoyment, so why not check in on it now. I wish I had a case.
Diane