The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Open That Bottle Night

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Patti L

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:22 am

Iowa

Open That Bottle Night

by Patti L » Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:26 pm

Open That Bottle Night is February 28!

I was reading the Aging or Hoarding thread and I thought this was a perfect time to talk about OTBN. I read that several of us have wines we want to share with others. What a perfect reason!

For those not familiar with it, OTBN was created by Wall Street Journal wine reviewers John Brecher and Dottie Gaiter. Dottie and John believe that we all have that bottle of wine (okay, some of us have several) we’ve stashed away, waiting for a special occasion. Open That Bottle Night IS that special occasion.

People all over the world get together with friends and family to share food, wine and friendship. It’s celebrated in a number of ways. Some carefully plan the menu, the wine, the friends. Others conduct blind tastings of wines brought by friends. Me? I invite about 20 people into my home, asking each to bring a wine they’ve been wanting to share or a wine they’ve been wanting to try. I make a bunch of food, and we open the wines, eat the food, and make memories.

How will you celebrate this year’s Open That Bottle Night?
Patti
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: Open That Bottle Night

by Rahsaan » Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:11 am

For me, Open That Bottle Night is usually called 'Saturday'.

Except when it's called 'Friday'.

Except when it's called 'Thursday'.

You get the picture :wink:
no avatar
User

Patti L

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:22 am

Iowa

by Patti L » Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:13 am

Yup, I get the picture!
Patti
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:30 am

Hopefully we will get together with some friends & then I will open that bottle. If it's just me and Laura maybe we can open a really nice Champagne!
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:56 am

I will be in Orlando and far away from THAT bottle and DC's lousy winter weather. It is a great idea, especially for those of us who are hoarders.
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:29 pm

I will probably open something special that night. Unfortunately, I missed out on the Bring that Bottle night at St. Jacques Restaurant in Raleigh Tuesday of this week because a friend invited me to the Michael Bolton concert that night here in Fayetteville. I had been waiting a year or longer for the Bring the Bottle night at St. Jacques. The owner's wife said they may do it again sometime this year. I sure hope so! The last time they held it I took a village red Burgundy that drinks like a Premier Cru and a German dessert wine. I invited the owner to have some of the Burgundy and he commented on the "beautiful stink" (translation: aroma, nose or bouquet.)
no avatar
User

Kyrstyn Kralovec

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:50 pm

Washington DC, Oregon bound

by Kyrstyn Kralovec » Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:51 pm

How cool! I have a cab from Thelema vineyards that I obtained on my honeymoon (since divorced) for which I've been waiting for an appropriate occasion to open...looks like I've found it! I'm going to try to get some of my more oenologically inclined friends together for a combined effort, but if all else fails I'll make my sister come over and drink it with me.
I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. ~John Galt
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:02 pm

Let's hear it for sisters!