The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

TN: Southern Rhone 98s

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Tony Fletcher

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:56 am

Catskill Mountains

TN: Southern Rhone 98s

by Tony Fletcher » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:16 pm

Hello everyone

I'm back. (I've been away so long I may even have to reintroduce myself.) I spent most of last year buried in the process of writing a book; while some good wine got drunk along the way, I couldn't free up the time to make good enough notes to share with people. One of my New Year's Resolutions? Drink more good wine, share my notes with everyone!

Anyway, having finally completed my home cellar and retrieved many of my wines from storage, I’ve been opening up some of my 1998 southern Rhones in this colder-than-cold Catskills winter. As I embark on the calculated guessing game of figuring out which ones are ready, which ones can sleep on, and which ones should have been devoured by yesterday, I’ve come to understand why people buy cases of single wines – so that they can take some of the risk out of the process. Oh well. Naturally, these are all Grenache-dominated wines, and given that they’re also from the same region, there’s an inevitable repetition of tasting notes: ginger(bread) is the telltale aroma, and there’s likely a degree of earthy leather to be found somewhere on the palate, too. And yet, for all that, I’ve been experiencing a marked difference in development, and ultimate joy.

DOMAINE DES AMOURIERS VACQUERYAS 1998
I wouldn’t typically expect Vacqueryas to improve for a decade, except that I’d tasted this wine when young and had the feeling that it was probably the best of the vintage for this village. I was thrilled then to have those expectations confirmed. The color was an almost impenetrable dark red, with no softening of color whatsoever and only the lightest of bricks around the rim. The nose was very powerful, a gorgeous medley of spice, ginger, leather and earth and just a little raisin touch that gradually wafted away; while most of the fruit had disappeared, this was certainly not old or drying out. Rather, the wine had developed gracefully into muscular middle-age, exuding confidence and character. In the mouth, the wine kicked up a dusty set of smoothed-out tannins, with a creamy quality to the mid-palate, and a remarkably long, vibrant, rich and enduring finish, again all leathery spice. I’m picturing James Bond – preferably Sean Connery around the Dr. No period – looking at his reflection in the shaving mirror and saying: A handsome man and no mistake. Probably the best Vacqueryas I’ve ever tasted (and I’ve had a few), a highly sophisticated and rewarding wine showing near to, but not necessarily yet at, its peak. And, I’m glad to say, I have another bottle. (I also had a rewarding experience with the Les Sang des Cailloux 1998 a couple of months back, which was also singing loudly, though possibly on the way down.)

DOMAINE BRUSSET GIGONDAS LE GRAND MONTMIRAL 1998
Now this one I did buy a case of, and after an early period dominated by sweet oak, it’s settled into a comfortably reassuring wine, warm and cozy, just the thing for a cold winter’s night and easy-going food. The color on this GSM blend is now a dusty red, and starting to show some a little brick. There’s a fuzzy ginger-bread aroma, a dusty spicy texture going on, still some bright acidity and an endearing and fulfilling finish. Medium-bodied, medium strength, comparatively understated for the vintage and the village, nothing spectacular but a lovely wine all the same. I’ll drink up my remaining bottles soon.

DOMAINE LES GOUBERT GIGONDAS 1998
The cork was nearly run through with wine on this one, but not sufficiently so that the wine had yet started to escape. Both the dusty red-brown color and the visible brick indicated some ageing. Surprisingly bright and acidic, this one quickly opened up with aromas of lavender, raspberry and blackcurrant. Much more vibrant and primary than the Brusset, and absent the kind of chewy, bulky heft I’ve experienced before from this quite austere and old-fashioned winemaker. Relatively youthful, certainly still approachable, and still a ways to go. (I’ve subsequently come across a tasting note of a 20-year old Goubert still apparently in absolutely perfect shape.) Great stuff. Wish I had more.

PATRICK LESEC LES GALETS BLONDS CHATEAUNEUF DU PAPE1998
Fizzy, sadly. What do we call this fault? What can we do about it?

DOMAINE GRAND VENEUR Châteauneuf du Pape 1998
This one followed on from the Brusset over dinner last Saturday night and, I realized to my cost, would have benefited from decanting, or at least longer exposure to air and greater opportunity to open up, for the nose initially gave little away. The color was a thick purple, still clearly very ripe, and only over time – and there wasn’t really enough of it given our guests’ thirst – did some smooth leathery, mushroom-like aromas escape out of the glass. Suitably full-bodied, but reticent, it eventually came around and revealed some of its secondary intentions as it wore down through the bottom of each glass. I wish my notes here were a little more intensive; never easy trying to make them in the middle of dinner, especially in a wine that develops while it’s in the glass; my conclusion from this initially brooding but ultimately happy camper was to allow my other Châteauneuf du Papes from 1998 plenty more resting time and lots more opportunity to breathe.

JEROME BRESSY GOURT DE MARTENS RASTEAU 1998
Arguably the most famous controversial non-Châteauneuf du Pape southern Rhône wine of the vintage. Robin Garr effusively reviewed the 1997 a long time ago and suggested that “It may inspire insiders' jokes about "Helen Turley meets the Rhône."” This comment has stuck with me, for that might still be the best description of a wine that was so overwhelmingly concentrated and extracted, even after almost a decade in bottle, that I had to double decant it and leave it several hours before it stopped barking like a feral dog and started wagging its tail a little.

Everything about this wine was heavyweight, from the double-thick bottle to the double-thick grape juice inside. The color in the glass was so dark red that it was almost black. No brick whatsoever. Incredibly long, slow-moving legs advertised intense alcohol and glycerin. The label claims 14%; I’m no expert, but I’d be surprised if it was less than 15. Made, I gather, from 100% old vines grenache, it gave off some of that grape’s characteristic ginger(bread) aroma, but most of what I got initially was saddle leather, mushroom and bark – albeit with some roasted nuts trying to poke out through its open fire. My initial taste resulted in an extraordinarily rich attack, like a sucker punch to the tongue, with dusty tannins quickly coating the cheeks. A long, long, long, warm, rich, mildly spicy finish confirmed the wine’s ferocity at rear end as well as up front. This was all sampled late Sunday afternoon in a warm après-ski bath after one of the coldest days on the slopes I’ve ever experienced, but the effect, rather than warming me back up (and rewarding me) as intended, was like skiing off piste and smack into a tree. It was all I could to stay conscious.

One cup of coffee and a couple of hours later, I poured from the decanter into two different Riedels – the large high-end Syrah glass and the more everyday Chianti-Zinfandel glass. The Syrah started to show some Burgundian dark cherries in amongst the earth and tar; the Zin glass, to be honest, did much the same. This wasn’t a wine about to change its form for shape, if you get my drift.

Back on the palate, the wine had settled down enormously, pun fully intended. Still peppery, spicy, with those dusty tannins and an almost inpossible power, but with more pronounced fruit up front and a much softer finish. By the end of the evening, accompanying a Portobello mushroom pasta and some hard cheese, it had come into its own, revealing a complex character underneath all the brute strength, with that milky smoothness that I look for in an older Châteauneuf du Pape. Never a wine to gulp, it gradually became one to savor.

All in all, an intriguing wine – though not entirely unique: I had a similarly brutal experience with Domaine La Soumade’s Rasteau Cuvee Prestige 2000, which I opened last summer in the UK. That one was almost undrinkable, it was so port-like, even with dinner. The Gourt de Martens, especially given the aeration, was ultimately more forgiving.

I find it endlessly fascinating that the wines from Rasteau can be so full-throttled that they could easily pass for heavyweight Châteauneuf du Papes, and yet those from Cairanne, around the corner, rarely go more than five years. Such is the thrill of terroir. I have another bottle of the Bressy ’98, but I’m in no rush to drink it. Five years, I figure, will do nicely. And when that occasion comes around, I’ll make sure I’m fighting fit and up to the challenge!

TONY
"Ever tried? Ever failed? No matter! Try again. Fail again. Fail better." S. Beckett
no avatar
User

Clint Hall

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:39 am

Seattle, WA

Re: TN: Southern Rhone 98s

by Clint Hall » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:35 pm

Thank you for the TNs, Tony. I socked away a few cases of 1998 CdPs, mostly in twos and threes, and have yet to start experimenting to see if any are ready. Your comments indicate I probably should hold off, but what is your cellar temperature?
no avatar
User

Michael Malinoski

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:11 pm

Sudbury, MA

by Michael Malinoski » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:59 pm

Tony, thanks for the great write-up.

Gotta agree with you on the '98 Brusset. I had a bottle last year that showed pretty similarly--drinking resolved, comfortable and smooth. I'll be drinking my last two bottles this year, I suspect, based on my own experience and now your data point.

1998 Domaine Brusset Gigondas Le Grand Montmirail. (Jan 2008) Smoky garnet color. This has a lovely nose of old leather, dried meat, mixed dark berries, red currants, chocoloate and campfire smoke. On the palate, it is medium-bodied, very smooth, and almost silky-textured, showing a fine layering of dark berry fruits. The tannins are nicely resolved through the mid-palate but do hang on a bit on the finish, which also shows a nice squirt of fresh acidity. This is drinking just beautifully right now and feels like it must be at or at least very near peak. Enjoy it now.

-Michael
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:26 pm

Just opened a 1998 Chateau St. Cosme Gigondas, and it is very tasty, and quite primary. I'm surprised at how youthful it is.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

by Oswaldo Costa » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:26 pm

Tony Fletcher wrote:DOMAINE LES GOUBERT GIGONDAS 1998
The cork was nearly run through with wine on this one, but not sufficiently so that the wine had yet started to escape. Both the dusty red-brown color and the visible brick indicated some ageing. Surprisingly bright and acidic, this one quickly opened up with aromas of lavender, raspberry and blackcurrant. Much more vibrant and primary than the Brusset, and absent the kind of chewy, bulky heft I’ve experienced before from this quite austere and old-fashioned winemaker. Relatively youthful, certainly still approachable, and still a ways to go. (I’ve subsequently come across a tasting note of a 20-year old Goubert still apparently in absolutely perfect shape.) Great stuff. Wish I had more.

Is this the Cuvée Florence, named after Cartier's daughter? If so, it is one of the loveliset, longest lived Gigondas.
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:32 pm

Welcome back, Tony. Do you have photos of that new cellar?
no avatar
User

Tony Fletcher

Rank

Ultra geek

Catskill Mountains

by Tony Fletcher » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:55 pm

Oswaldo Costa wrote:
Tony Fletcher wrote:
Is this the Cuvée Florence, named after Cartier's daughter? If so, it is one of the loveliset, longest lived Gigondas.

No, it's the regular Cuvée. We visited Les Goubert in 99 - what lovely people - and picked up a bottle of the 95 Florence. Have not seen any great need to rush into it - though I imagine we'll be getting there soon.

Incidentally, I see that Les Goubert have FINALLY updated their web site. And it's pretty beautiful - made me rethink calling them "old-fashioned." Still very little info about the varietals in the specific wines but nice to see them keeping up with the times.

Tony
"Ever tried? Ever failed? No matter! Try again. Fail again. Fail better." S. Beckett
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:19 pm

Yup, thats a nice website. New name for me up here!
no avatar
User

Tony Fletcher

Rank

Ultra geek

Catskill Mountains

by Tony Fletcher » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:46 pm

Cynthia Wenslow wrote:Welcome back, Tony. Do you have photos of that new cellar?

Cynthia

I'll be happy to post some pics of the cellar, and how I finally cured some of temperature problems, in a while - meaning, chase me up on it! I didn't take pictures as I went along because.... I sort of forgot. Which is a shame, as mine is a pretty good tale of how things do and don't work out when you try and design a cellar in a newly built house.

Tony
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:44 am

Thanks for the notes, Tony. It sounds as if I should hang onto my Clos des Papes and Beaucastel a bit longer, particularly the latter. A couple of other comments -

Tony Fletcher wrote:DOMAINE DES AMOURIERS VACQUERYAS 1998
Probably the best Vacqueryas I’ve ever tasted (and I’ve had a few), a highly sophisticated and rewarding wine showing near to, but not necessarily yet at, its peak.

I opened a 2001 Les Genestes a few weeks ago and found it rather inexpressive; I guessed it needed more time and your note here seems to confirm that.

Tony Fletcher wrote:JEROME BRESSY GOURT DE MARTENS RASTEAU 1998
Made, I gather, from 100% old vines grenache,

I don't think this is correct. His estate is planted with 70% Grenache, 15% Carignan and 15% others including Mourvèdre and Syrah. AFIK he makes no other red cuvée, though it is possible that he sells wine with which he is dissatisfied to the "négoce". I have heard that Bressy is leading opposition to Rasteau getting an independent appellation, like Vacqueyras, because the INAO is insisting that the ignoble Carignan variety should be excluded. Bressy has some fine old Carignan vines which he rightly insists should go into his top wine.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Bernard Roth

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:31 pm

Santa Barbara, CA

by Bernard Roth » Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:48 am

Fizzy = Secondary fermentation in bottle due to incomplete fermentation + live organisms prior to bottling.
Regards,
Bernard Roth
no avatar
User

Tony Fletcher

Rank

Ultra geek

Catskill Mountains

by Tony Fletcher » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:32 am

Tim

Thanks for the correction on the Mautens' varietal make-up. I got the 100% Grenache reference from Robin's original review all those years ago. I was staggered to learn that Vinsobres and, I believe, Visan?, received AOC status prior to Cairanne and Rasteau a couple of years back; it's a little like the annual inductions for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Does it matter in the long run? Probably not; the wines from Cairanne and Rasteau continue to punch above their weight, quality and price-wise, and we're all the better off for it.

As for the Vacqueryas, my bottle has no cuvee notation, though I recall paying about $20 for it and not getting the impression that it was anybody's idea of an everyday Vacqueryas. Should you feel that 2001 carries similar power and weight as 1998 then yes, maybe your bottle was just sleeping a little. This is all something of a crapshoot at the end of the day, even if it's an educated crap shoot.

Bernard: I thought it was secondary fermentation but wasn't entirely sure how it came about... Is there any cure or is it waste-water?
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:37 am

Tony,

If it's not a terrible case of secondary fermentaiton then you might try decanting. Normally though the wine is shot.

Also, if it's really secondary fermentation there will likely be some pretty serious off odors. Check the aromatics & if they are ok then do the decanting of the rest of the bottle.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Joe Moryl

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:38 pm

New Jersey, USA

by Joe Moryl » Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:59 pm

Hey Tony,

Nice to see your name here again. Good notes: they remind me that I need to buy and cellar more southern Rhones, a place I've been neglecting lately. I too have decided to try posting more again. Unfortunately, I can't use some productive activity like writing a book as an excuse - in my case it is sheer laziness!
no avatar
User

Tony Fletcher

Rank

Ultra geek

Catskill Mountains

by Tony Fletcher » Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:14 pm

Joe

Naturally, good to hear from you as well. Had been thinking of you - let's REALLY try and get together again soon. I had a long couple of years here, but I'm hopefully out of it (at least till the cycle starts again) and plan on posting more notes and contributing more here.

Cheers

Tony
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:17 pm

Nice notes, good to see you here again. I bought too few '98s (and drank most too early)
What/who is book on?
no avatar
User

Tony Fletcher

Rank

Ultra geek

Catskill Mountains

by Tony Fletcher » Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:11 pm

Hi Dale

Thanks... The book is called "All Hopped Up and Ready To Go: Music from the Streets of New York 1927-77" and will be published by WW Norton later this year. I'm hoping the title is self-explanatory, but in case it's not: each chapter follows a different music culture/scene/genre/neighborhood from the streets to the point of going mainstream. So there are chapters about everything from Afro-Cuban jazz to bebop to rhythm and blues, the folk revival, the Brill Building and on through rock music to punk, disco and hip-hop.

Cheers

Tony
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:39 pm

Sounds very interesting Tony (ok, maybe not the disco chapter :twisted: ), be sure to let us know when it's out!