The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Ridge Lytton Estate '94...(short/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: Ridge Lytton Estate '94...(short/boring)

by TomHill » Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:58 pm

Tough day ystrday. Fun evening on the strip w/ my kids. Baked Rigatoni burbling away in the oven. Finally sit for din-din at 12:30 and pull up a seat for a long conversation w/ MrRidge:
1. Ridge Calif LyttonEstate (70% Zin, 17% PS, 13% Grenache; DryCreekVnyd; 13.4%; 53 brls; Drk: 2/96-2/06-?: PD) 1994: Dark color w/ very slight bricking; rather spicy/Zin/raspberry/blackberry slight licorice classic DraperPerfume/complex slight dusty bit pungent/almost Rhonish nose; soft/smooth/velvety light raspberry/blackberry/Zin very spicy pungent/oak light licorice/peppery elegant/polished/complex flavor; med.long quite spicy/raspberry/licorice very smooth/polished/elegant slight RCCola/DrPepper slight tannic finish; no signs of drying out or tired; a beautiful/complex almost undescribable and very smooth/elegant on the palate; a gentle/elegant/classy old lady who buys her lingerie at Sears rather than Victoria'sSecret; think HelenHayes rather than ParisHilton; the kind of gentle wine those fusty/ol' Brits go ape over. $24.00
1. This was from the five hills of old-stuff on LyttonEast along the South & East side of the vnyd, right out back of the wnry. One of those few wines who have come together so well into old age. Drink up..it's not goin' anywhere but down.
Tom
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Ridge Lytton Estate '94...(short/boring)

by David M. Bueker » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:59 pm

I always liked the 1994s from Ridge. Mine are all gone now.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Ben Rotter

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Sep 19, 2006 12:59 pm

Sydney, Australia (currently)

by Ben Rotter » Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:20 am

TomHill wrote:Tough day ystrday. Fun evening on the strip w/ my kids. Baked Rigatoni burbling away in the oven. Finally sit for din-din at 12:30 and pull up a seat for a long conversation w/ MrRidge
...a gentle/elegant/classy old lady who buys her lingerie at Sears rather than Victoria'sSecret; think HelenHayes rather than ParisHilton; the kind of gentle wine those fusty/ol' Brits go ape over.

Nice note and very nice intro. :)
no avatar
User

MichaelB

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:32 pm

Sierra southmost, California

by MichaelB » Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:28 am

Thanks for the informative TNs. We killed our last bottle of the ’90 Lytton Springs this past Winter Solstice. We saw more brown than you at the edges and were afraid that storage conditions (AC room for several years) might have killed the wine, but no—it was much as you described with a bit of green olive on the nose. A lovely wine.

It’s revealing to note that all 3 wines you tasted were below 14% alcohol. It would be nice to see those percentages again, though Ridge is still conservative compared to most.
The excellent LS ’99 that David Bueker recently described was 4.5, and the ‘05 is 4.4, a trend in the right direction. I draw the line at 15%--I don’t believe that climate change since 1990 requires more alcohol.
no avatar
User

MichaelB

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:32 pm

Sierra southmost, California

by MichaelB » Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:33 am

Ack! Sorry, I posted this to the wrong TN!