The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: D%$#@ Tree Bark and Good Napa Cab

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

WTN: D%$#@ Tree Bark and Good Napa Cab

by Brian K Miller » Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:02 pm

At Beau's Blues Monday last night.

2005 Paradise Ridge Petit Sirah (Sonoma County). Wow. Where is the fruit? It's only a year or so old. My warm storage won't kill a big wine like this THAT quickly. Just kinda muted...some sour acidity. Revisited an hour or so later and the dread WET CARDBOARD has appeared. Strongly wet cardboard. I am not TCA sensitive, but even I can "get it" here. FAILURE

2001 Bighorn Napa Valley (Coombsville) Cabernet Sauvignon. From William Hill's boutique "retirement" project. Tasted at the "Wine Studio" (future custom crush for small rich guys :)) at the southernmost end of Silverado Trail. Showed equally well tonight, with excellent structure and acidity and the green herbaceousness that with air turns into pure cassis fruit. I would still rank the 2001 Young Ridge a step or so higher, but this was very very nice. 90 points.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

Re: WTN: D%$#@ Tree Bark and Good Napa Cab

by Hoke » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:02 pm

And the most insidious part of all this is that you first thought the wine was at fault...when it was that piece of tree bark that was the culprit.

Good you went back later and figured out it was cork taint. Anyone not doing so would be going around telling people how terrible that PS was and how the winery wasn't making very good wine.

Oh, but wait...I forgot about the all powerful romance of the cork that makes all this worth it! :roll:
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:17 pm

Well thank God the wine wasn't under screw cap - it would have been horribly reductive. :twisted:
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Brian Gilp

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 23, 2006 5:50 pm

by Brian Gilp » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:49 pm

Did a cellar cull last weekend and I will still take the natural cork over the synthetics anyday. Every wine under synthetic cork was oxidized. The natural cork wines held some surprises such as a non-vintange chambroucin from Pennsylvania that I know I have had for at least a decade yet was still fresh and a 1998 Topolos zinfandel that was better than when I tasted it at the winery in 2002.
no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:26 pm

albany, ny

by Salil » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:51 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Well thank God the wine wasn't under screw cap - it would have been horribly reductive. :twisted:

And not complete either!
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:57 pm

Brian - synthetics are a disaster. On that we can agree. If there were two choices, cork and fake cork, I would take cork every time.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:49 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Brian - synthetics are a disaster. On that we can agree. If there were two choices, cork and fake cork, I would take cork every time.

I now put the fake cork wines (of which there are several that I love) on the "drink now" rack and they never even make it down to the cellar. It just ain't worth the risk.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:18 pm

Have to admit that my experience of cork taint has been much below the 3-5% discussed by some here. But then, unlike other "flaws" like vanilla pudding flavoring or searing alcohol, I'm not very sensitive. Of course, there could be wines I have not enjoyed that are actually corked, but...

My fear was imperfect storage, so I was actually "relieved" to find cork taint!
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:29 pm

Brian K Miller wrote:Have to admit that my experience of cork taint has been much below the 3-5% discussed by some here.

Do you open a lot of screw-capped bottles. I find that greatly helps to reduce the frequency of cork taint in my apartment! :wink:
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:46 pm

well...I did open some Olorosso Sherry last night. :P It wasn't corked, either!