The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2007 Marcel Lapierre Morgon

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

WTN: 2007 Marcel Lapierre Morgon

by Oswaldo Costa » Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:42 am

2007 Marcel Lapierre Morgon 12.5%
Last of my three Beaujolais Gang of Five. From the bottle neck, aromas of crushed violets and church incense, similar to the Foillard from a few days ago, but more subdued. With aeration, additional rose petal armoas in the glass. Tastes of elegant and dark sour cherries, more candied than the Foillard. Also more contained and reserved, and slightly more acidic.
While this was a pleasure to drink, I enjoyed it less than the Foillard Corcelette, which, in turn, I enjoyed less than the Thevenet V.V. (possibly because it was three years older). A bit of a downslope, but still so far above other Bojos I've tried that I can safely say that I have become a GoF convert. These Beaujolais are all serious in a way that doesn't compromise tipicity and, most important, pleasure, unlike the bourgogne wannabes.

A puzzle: four of the five are imported by Kermit Lynch, but not Chamonard, who passed away and was succeeded by his daughter, Genevieve. Wonder why...
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

Re: WTN: 2007 Marcel Lapierre Morgon

by Brian K Miller » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:56 am

Thanks for the notes, Oswaldo. The Bay Area has several shops that carry "serious" Bojo, and I think I liked the Foillard a little better myself. I thought the Lapierre was almost too restrained.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:57 pm

Interesting. I was thinking about buying some of this because it's readily available here, but maybe I need to look harder for Foillard. :D

FWIW, there is usually a Lapierre VV that is a bit more interesting.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:33 pm

Oswaldo Costa wrote:Last of my three Beaujolais Gang of Five.

There's a Monty Python reference in there somewhere.
Decisions are made by those who show up