The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Leitz, camera, action

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

WTN: Leitz, camera, action

by David M. Bueker » Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:13 am

2007 Leitz Eins, Zwei, Dry '3' Riesling Trocken (Rheingau)
Johannes Leitz calls this "dry Draggie" in reference to this being the dry wine companion to his super-successful Dragonstone Riesling. If dry German Riesling ever truly becomes popular in the USA then this will surely be a calling card for the type. Minerally, fruity and very drinkable, finishing a glass is as easy as (wait for it...) 1, 2, 3! Finished under screw cap & available for about $12-$14, this is a fine value in dry Riesling.

This bottle also showed the merits of drinking a wine in isolation. I had this exact same wine during the November 2008 Germany/Finger Lakes Riesling Shoot-Out & it did not show so well. On its own it was a pleasure to drink. I've seen the same phenomenon more times than i can count.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Michael Malinoski

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:11 pm

Sudbury, MA

Re: WTN: Leitz, camera, action

by Michael Malinoski » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:26 am

David, thanks for the note on this wine. I've liked it in past vintages, especially for the QPR. I had a chance to briefly taste the '07 at the Boston Wine Expo on Sunday afternoon. I found it fresh, light and fruity--much the same as you. In terms of context, I have to agree with you, though perhaps a bit in reverse in this instance. Drinking this next to the rest of the '07 Leitz line-up made some of them (not all) seem out of balance with too much sweetness and flesh at this young age (whereas many of those might show better just on their own).

-Michael
no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:26 pm

albany, ny

by Salil » Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:26 pm

Glad this showed well. I wasn't particularly excited by this at the German/Finger Lakes tasting - found it well made and a nice basic expression of dry Riesling, but not much more. Will grab another bottle the next time I'm up at Table&Vine and give it another try - this time with some food and more time.

(Really, really atrocious puns btw. Are you trying to compete with Charles? :D)
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

by Oswaldo Costa » Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:44 pm

Salil Benegal wrote:(Really, really atrocious puns btw. Are you trying to compete with Charles? :D)

I for one, appreciate the levity of stuff like scheutime... Were you already here last "speak like a pirate day"? The degree of retardation was nothing short of delightful.
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:00 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:This bottle also showed the merits of drinking a wine in isolation. I had this exact same wine during the November 2008 Germany/Finger Lakes Riesling Shoot-Out & it did not show so well. On its own it was a pleasure to drink. I've seen the same phenomenon more times than i can count.

Exactly.

Although I must say, I can often identify the wines that would be fun on their own but just can't give them enough attention/appreciation in the group setting.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:18 pm

Michael Malinoski wrote:David, thanks for the note on this wine. I've liked it in past vintages, especially for the QPR.

Umm...Michael - this is the debut vintage.
no avatar
User

Michael Malinoski

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:11 pm

Sudbury, MA

by Michael Malinoski » Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:47 pm

Yikes! I had it back in like June and then again August of last year, so I had just assumed in my head that I had drunk the 2006 and that this was the new release that they were touting at the Expo. So, shame on me--good catch.

-Michael
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:11 pm

The Eins, Zwei, Dry is released early along with its lower-priced Leitz stablemates (Dragonstone, Klosterlay Kabinett, Magdalenenkreuz Spatlese), so it will be around before most of its vintage brethren.

It's also made from a very noble vineyard, though I will have to ask Johannes Leitz to remind me of the exact site.
no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:26 pm

albany, ny

by Salil » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:33 am

Or you could check the Theise catalogue which says it's Geisenheimer Rothenberg. ;)

(How's the snow up there by the way, David? Enough down here to bring everything to a total halt today. :D)
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:39 am

Salil Benegal wrote:Or you could check the Theise catalogue which says it's Geisenheimer Rothenberg. ;)

(How's the snow up there by the way, David? Enough down here to bring everything to a total halt today. :D)

I keep trying to download the 2007 vintage catalog & it freezes up every time.

As for the snow - I made it to work just fine.