The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2005 Laflaive Macon Verze

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

WTN: 2005 Laflaive Macon Verze

by Sam Platt » Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:49 pm

2005 Laflaive Macon Verze

Without a doubt this was the worst Laflaive I have ever tasted. Nothing going on with the nose. Flat, with a stern wet wood and weak butterscotch taste. No finish and not the slightest hint of acidity. DOA and did not improve with time in the glass. Worst of the lot on a night when we uncorked 10 different wines. The Verze was outclassed by a $10 Vinho Verde and a $9 Prosecco. My first ever complete swing and miss with a Laflaive.

PS: The 2000 Chateau Beaulieu, and the 2002 ESJ Shadow carried the night. From my experience the 2000 Bordeaux are a "can't miss" across the board. The Shadow is always reliable.
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

Re: WTN: 2005 Laflaive Macon Verze

by Redwinger » Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:03 pm

Sam,

Without any intention of starting/instigating yet another rant against corks and poor transportation/storage, any chance this was corked or heat damaged? Sounds quite awful.

BP
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:03 pm

Sam Platt wrote:2005 Laflaive Macon Verze

Without a doubt this was the worst Laflaive I have ever tasted. Nothing going on with the nose. Flat, with a stern wet wood and weak butterscotch taste. No finish and not the slightest hint of acidity. DOA and did not improve with time in the glass. Worst of the lot on a night when we uncorked 10 different wines. The Verze was outclassed by a $10 Vinho Verde and a $9 Prosecco. My first ever complete swing and miss with a Laflaive.

Which Leflaive? There's a world of difference between Domaine and Olivier.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:11 pm

Mark Lipton wrote:Which Leflaive? There's a world of difference between Domaine and Olivier.
Mark Lipton

Pretty sure this would be Domaine Leflaive, like Lafon they started making a Macon or 2 a few years ago, I don't think Olivier does any Macon. I'd wonder about low level TCA, but maybe not- everyone can make a bad wine now and again
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:46 pm

It was a Domaine Laflaive. I didn't get the moldy cardboard and wet dog notes that I normally associate with TCA, but perhaps it could have been low level. What I noticed most was just the complete lack of any acidity. None. I normally have to let white Burgs set for a few minutes to blow off a bit of the acid, particularly the younger ones. This just seemed to be a very bad wine. I would pick up another one for comparison, but I don't want to potentially burn $35 more dollars.
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins