The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Musar, Weinbach, Chevillon, Manzone, Cimicky.

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

WTN: Musar, Weinbach, Chevillon, Manzone, Cimicky.

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:31 pm

Great dinner last night for all the staff (20 with guest) from my fave winestore and as I assist with tastings, I was again invited. Great little restaurant here in town, the Red Ox Inn, exceptional food and caring wine service.

NV Laurent-Perrier Ultra Brut (blue label).

Nice reception wine, quite dry, fine mousse, mild yeasty tones, bracing acidity. Not sure of the house reputation?

`04 Puligny-Montrachet Le Trezin, Domaine d`Ardhuy.

I picked this to go with my crab cakes and tomato chutney! These French guys know chardonnay eh. Nice balanced focus, not over-oaked. Some licorice on the nose, minerally. Apple pear and hint of papaya but non-tropical all the way through. Very much appreciated. Could have drunk the whole bottle!

`05 Gewurztraminer Cuvee Lawrence, Domaine Weinbach, Alsace. (magnum).

Very slightly corked which only showed up ten minutes after opening. Waxy initially, drinks OK regardless of the cork problem. There is so much rich fruit here, someone had a dish with mascarpone mousse, great match I heard.

`04 Nuits-Saint-Georges Les Vaucrains P Cru, Domaine Robert Chevillon.

Probably infanticide, smoky, good length, elegant. Needed more air-time, great with pork belly and the duck confit. Turned a tad barny after an hour in the decanter.

`96 Giovanni Manzone Barolo Le Gramolere.

I know very little about this house and even less about Barolo! This had class written all over it, way too young I`d say. Tar, oak, concentrated nose. Black fruits, asian tea, earthy, tight big tannins. Good dark color with some bricking. Sweetened out especially with the lamb rack. Huge finish too but not my style.

`97 Taurasi Radici Reserva Mastroberardino.

Only one bottle as #2 was corked but we all tasted. I thought this was pretty good. Light color, earthy leather nose with plummy prune tones. Hint of pine and faded flowers, good squirt of acidity. Fine grained tannins, dusty, ready to go, drink if you have it. Almost my wine of the night! Went very well with a taste of the duck confit.

`89 Musar.

Was only decanted for half an hour but showed really well and WOTN for quite a few, me included. No bias here forumites!
"Smells like a Rhone but has some Cab" was one comment. Not in the least barnyardy, plum, fragrant. Cherry tart finish, plum. Great wine for many of us, drinking so well.

`97 Torres Mas La Plana, Penedes.

Gosh, I remember these Torres wines from many years back. Drying out a little, nice depth of Cab Sauv color. Went very well with the lamb, a few would rather talk about the `03 (which we did not have). Those eating duck were very content. Seems I have been missing out eh. Very nice wine here.

`95 Cimicky Barossa Cab Sauv/Cab Franc.

Fruit bomb guys were all a ga-ga! I thought of those terrific Daylight Chambers Shiraz. This leafy red was not for me however and sure needed some food. Move on to dessert!

`03 Vouvray Champalou Trie de Vendage.

I spent a lot of time explaining Troisieme Trie!! Lovely Chenin Blanc which was great with pecan pie and bread and butter pud. Not bad with chocolate cake but a complete bust with the lemon pie. That need a Moscato!

There was also a Recioto but no notes. What a great evening!
Wines came either from the store or from various cellars.
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

Re: WTN: Musar, Weinbach, Chevillon, Manzone, Cimicky.

by Oswaldo Costa » Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:50 pm

Alberta rocks!
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:59 pm

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:`03 Vouvray Champalou Trie de Vendage....great with pecan pie and bread and butter pud. Not bad with chocolate cake but a complete bust with the lemon pie..

That is surprising. When I think of a wine for lemon tart/pie I usually go directly to sweet Loire chenin blanc or sweet riesling. Lots of lemon flavors in the wine. Maybe this version wasn't sweet enough, especially in comparison to the Moscato?

And chocolate and chenin blanc! Wow. Never would have thought that could work either. Chocolate being so strong, deep, and bitter. Maybe it depends on the level of 'chocolate-ness' in the cake.

Regardless, nice times and new trails that have been blazed..
no avatar
User

Michael Malinoski

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:11 pm

Sudbury, MA

by Michael Malinoski » Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:18 pm

Bob, thanks for the really great notes on a fine line-up. I was particularly interested in the note on the '97 Mas La Plana. I found a long-lost bottle of this while doing inventory over the holiday break (purchased at the Torres winery many years back). You say it was very nice, but perhaps drying out. Time to drink up now or will it stay at this level for a while, do you think? Either way, you have me thinking I need to try it with some duck (or lamb!).

Thanks,
Michael
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:55 pm

Michael, we all thought drink up pretty soon. This wine has lots of appeal right now, at its peak I`d say.

Rahsaan, as always some great imput from you! That (house-style) lemon pie was way too acidy for the sweeter Vouvray. Big clash indeed.
My so-so comment regarding the chocolate cake, it was nothing special. I was trying to sum up tongue in cheek!
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:04 pm

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:lemon pie was way too acidy for the sweeter Vouvray. Big clash indeed.

Ok, I can see that.
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:23 am

Great line-up, Bob. Domaine d'Ardhuy and Giovanni Manzone are both new ones for me and sound well worth looking out for, particularly the former.

I share Rahsaan's puzzlement at the showing of the Vouvray. Those food associations, both good and bad, sound unusual. I wonder whether this is not a function of the 2003 heat-wave's leading to unusually low acidity and high sugar. I've tended to steer clear of 2003 whites because a lot are too rich and flabby, at least in the drier styles, but people say that the sweeties from the best producers are very good. That seems to be the case here, albeit perhaps atypical.
Tim York