The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Vaillant Les Grandes Vignes "Les Cocainelles" Anjou

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: Vaillant Les Grandes Vignes "Les Cocainelles" Anjou

by Jenise » Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:42 pm

2005 Vaillant Domaine Les Grandes Viges "Les Cocainelles Anjou-Village
A Garagiste purchase. This is only the second Anjou red I've ever tasted, and it bears an undeniable resemblance to the first though years passed between samplings. Both were dark wines so dense they were almost opaque, seemingly highly extracted, with intense plummy flavors and a pickly acidity. This one, thankfully, is less grapey than the other but there are telltales signs of what could have been that, as time itself did some repair--both were 05's. I presumed when I opened this that it was cab franc, but I have to admit it doesn't really taste like cab franc or at least the other cab francs of the Loire Valley. Anyway, so all of the above, plus pretty ferocious tannins made it impossible for us to want a second glass or even enjoy the one we had, so we put the wine back in the bottle and tasted it again the next day whereupon it was marginally improved but still offering no joy. On the third day, which was last night, the tannins had indeed softened, but now the flavor was rather wan, in a way more like 'faded' than merely 'backed off'.

Have to admit, based on these two Anjous I won't be rushing to try any others. But tell me, where do these wines go (unfortunately, I bought more than one bottle :oops:), and what am I supposed to like about them?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: WTN: Vaillant Les Grandes Vignes "Les Cocainelles" Anjou

by Rahsaan » Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:51 pm

Jenise wrote:I presumed when I opened this that it was cab franc, but I have to admit it doesn't really taste like cab franc or at least the other cab francs of the Loire Valley. Anyway, so all of the above, plus pretty ferocious tannins made it impossible for us to want a second glass or even enjoy the one we had...But tell me, where do these wines go (unfortunately, I bought more than one bottle :oops:), and what am I supposed to like about them?

Anjou red wines are usually some combination of cabernet franc, cabernet sauvignon, and gamay. They do tend to be very tannic (depending on the specific soil on which they are grown) and are generally simpler than Saumur-Champigny, Chinon, or Bourgueil (which makes sense since the latter three are based on villages while Anjou is a region).

What are you supposed to like about them? I don't know, I guess the cheap price :wink:
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:09 pm

Rahsaan wrote:
Jenise wrote:I presumed when I opened this that it was cab franc, but I have to admit it doesn't really taste like cab franc or at least the other cab francs of the Loire Valley. Anyway, so all of the above, plus pretty ferocious tannins made it impossible for us to want a second glass or even enjoy the one we had...But tell me, where do these wines go (unfortunately, I bought more than one bottle :oops:), and what am I supposed to like about them?

Anjou red wines are usually some combination of cabernet franc, cabernet sauvignon, and gamay. They do tend to be very tannic (depending on the specific soil on which they are grown) and are generally simpler than Saumur-Champigny, Chinon, or Bourgueil (which makes sense since the latter three are based on villages while Anjou is a region).

What are you supposed to like about them? I don't know, I guess the cheap price :wink:

Thanks for the answers. Indeed, it fits your description of "generally simpler". Do these usually age well, say in the 3 to 5 year time frame? Can't say I saw a lot of promise worth waiting for on Day Three here, but perhaps pristeen bottles will develop something interesting.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:30 pm

Jenise wrote:Do these usually age well, say in the 3 to 5 year time frame?

There is some variation across producers and I don't know Vaillant, but generally the sturdier examples will hold up just 'fine' over 3-5 years and in the best cases the tannins will start to meld with the fruit and produce something more civilized.

I don't think anyone would put them against the top Loire cabernet francs from the other appellations in term of aging. But, some of these wines have had a dedicated audience, for example some people loved watching what happened with the Pierre Bise Anjou reds (both the cabernets and the gamays) as they aged, in part because they were so black and weird that it was always an interesting experience. That said, I can't say I was one of those people and it doesn't sound like you would want to buy too many more of these to find out.. :wink:
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:58 pm

Rahsaan wrote:Anjou red wines are usually some combination of cabernet franc, cabernet sauvignon, and gamay. They do tend to be very tannic (depending on the specific soil on which they are grown) and are generally simpler than Saumur-Champigny, Chinon, or Bourgueil (which makes sense since the latter three are based on villages while Anjou is a region).

There is no Gamay in an Anjou-Villages. However, some, e.g. La Croix de la Mission from Lebreton, are largely Cabernet-Sauvignon. Otherwise I broadly agree with what you say. I have had some very enjoyable and not too tannic, for me, Anjou-Villages when passing through the area but rarely buy any because much superior Saumur-Champigny from good growers can be had for such reasonable prices.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:09 pm

Tim York wrote:
Rahsaan wrote:Anjou red wines are usually some combination of cabernet franc, cabernet sauvignon, and gamay...

There is no Gamay in an Anjou-Villages..

Yes, no gamay in an Anjou-Villages, but it can be in an Anjou.