The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Australia, Champagne, Tuscany, Rheinhessen

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: Australia, Champagne, Tuscany, Rheinhessen

by Dale Williams » Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:04 am

Had 2 couples over for dinner last night. Betsy got the oil going in the wok, and Al helped her fry some shrimp wontons and steamed garlic wrapped in bacon (sounds weird, very good). Wine was the NV Godme Grand Cru Rose Brut Champagne. Nose of flowers and baking powder biscuits, nice medium to full bodied with bright strawberry and cherry fruit , a bit of a flinty mineral note on finish. Very good, and I will get again if I see at a reasonable price. B+/A-

Betsy then made a Singaporese stirfry with fresh rice noodles, Chinese sausage, chicken, shrimp, fish cake, sprouts and much more (inc. sambal olek), plus Chinese broccoli with straw mushrooms. This is a dish we usually go with an off-dry Riesling, but knew 2 guests are mostly red, so did both:

1994 Gunderloch Nackenheim Rothenberg Riesling Spatlese (Rheinhessen)
Lots of petrol, I thought some might find offputting but it seemed pretty popular. Peach and apple fruit accented by candied ginger, good acidity, balanced sugars. Nice example of mature Riesling. B+

1996 Penfolds "Bin 389" Cabernet/Shiraz
Good blackcurrant and blackberry fruit, cedar chest, a little tobacco. Tannins are mostly resolved, oak has completely integrated, acids are fresh. Not the longest wine, but quite tasty and to my taste fully mature. I have one more, will drink in next 5 years. B+/A-

2005 I Greppi "Greppicante" (Bolgheri )
Following the Penfolds this seems simple and a bit empty. Round red fruit, some vanilla, fruit-forward and not very complex. OK. B-

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.

no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

Re: WTN: Australia, Champagne, Tuscany, Rheinhessen

by Redwinger » Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:30 pm

Dale-

I've always found the Bin 389 to be an enjoyable quaff if you let them age for 10+ years. They seem to shed the oak nicely as you mention. That said, the local price has now crept North of $30, so I'm not buying, but will gladly drink one if someone else opens a bottle.

Bill
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

David Lole

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:49 am

Canberra, Australia

by David Lole » Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:58 pm

Redwinger wrote:Dale-

I've always found the Bin 389 to be an enjoyable quaff if you let them age for 10+ years. They seem to shed the oak nicely as you mention.That said, the local price has now crept North of $30, so I'm not buying, but will gladly drink one if someone else opens a bottle.

Bill

Over this side of town, the '96 389 is rated extremely highly by many a pundit. One of the best ever produced. The last bottle I tried (circa 2004) was incredibly young, opulent with huge reserves of dense blackfruits, subservient US oak and plenty of lively acid and firmish tannin. I think I rated it about 93 points at the time with a ten- to fifteen-year drinking window.
Cheers,

David
no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:26 pm

albany, ny

by Salil » Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:45 pm

Thanks for the notes. That sounds like a really nice dinner with great wines to match. Good to read some more encouraging notes on the older Penfolds.