The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2007 Jean Foillard Morgon Cuvee Corcelette

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

WTN: 2007 Jean Foillard Morgon Cuvee Corcelette

by Oswaldo Costa » Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:08 pm

2007 Jean Foillard Morgon Cuvee Corcelette 13.0%
My second in a sudden exploration of the Beaujolais Gang of Five. On opening the bottle, a pretty amazing aroma of crushed violets and church incense (myrrh? frankincense?) comes out like a genie. Tastes like sour strawberries with a hint of caramel, perfectly poised and quite delicious, though more straightforward and, therefore, less bewitching to me than yesterday's 2004 Thevenet Morgon. I'm wondering out loud if it's the Thevenet's extra years that make the difference when Marcia surprises me by saying she likes this even better. When I say that I prefer the Thevenet's greater complexity she says that this is one of the differences between us: I want to be surprised and experience new sensations while she draws greater satisfaction from perfect balance. So, Thevenet is from Mars and Foillard from Venus (or is it the other way round?).
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: WTN: 2007 Jean Foillard Morgon Cuvee Corcelette

by Rahsaan » Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:17 pm

The age may be one reason but you should also try Foillard's Cote du Py for the full-on bewitching and complex Foillard Morgon experience. All of the amazing aromas you mentioned (which are very attractive to me) but with more depth on the body. The vines are pretty old on this Courcelette and it's not a slouch of a wine but it is generally more 'forward' and less 'complex' in comparison to the CdP.
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

São Paulo, Brazil

by Oswaldo Costa » Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:38 am

Rahsaan wrote:The age may be one reason but you should also try Foillard's Cote du Py for the full-on bewitching and complex Foillard Morgon experience. All of the amazing aromas you mentioned (which are very attractive to me) but with more depth on the body. The vines are pretty old on this Courcelette and it's not a slouch of a wine but it is generally more 'forward' and less 'complex' in comparison to the CdP.

Thanks for the tip. If Crush's online inventory is current, I just picked up their last bottle (and threw in a Desvignes for good measure).
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:33 am

Oswaldo Costa wrote:Thanks for the tip. If Crush's online inventory is current, I just picked up their last bottle (and threw in a Desvignes for good measure).

Nice. Let us know what you think.

Crush ships to Brazil?
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

São Paulo, Brazil

by Oswaldo Costa » Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:48 pm

Rahsaan wrote:Crush ships to Brazil?

Alas, no. I tell 'em to hold and pick up next time in town.