The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: A few tipples this week

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David Lole

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:49 am

Canberra, Australia

WTN: A few tipples this week

by David Lole » Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:13 pm

Two extremely good wines this week.

The 1999 Tyrrell's HVD Semillon Reserve was absolutely superb, surprising with its remarkable freshness and vivacity, nigh-on perfect weight and structure and a finish to die for. Loaded with grassy-, soapy- and lanolin-tinged melon and citrus fruit with only the merest hint of toast and honey, this outstanding wine has perfectly-integrated, cutting G&T-like acidity that augurs well for a considerably bright future in the cellar. A wonderful example. Drink now-2019+. 94 points.

The De Toren (Stellenbosch, South Africa) Directors Reserve Fusion V from vintage 2000 also impressed with its gorgeous youthful garnet colour and stunning aromatics feauturing deep-set small dark-berried fruit and a sizeable, but well-judged, input from cedary/vanillin oak. The palate offers an identical blast of primary fruit, quality oak accompanied by attractive chocolate-coated licorice and sweet earthy flavours, lively acidity, all supported by a very fine but still to fully resolve firmish tannin regime. This excellent/outstanding example possesses room for development and improvement, although after 72 hours after opening, suffered from such a degree of oxidation to render the remnants suitable only to be tipped down the kitchen sink. Drink 2010-2015+. 91 points
Cheers,

David
no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:26 pm

albany, ny

Re: WTN: A few tipples this week

by Salil » Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:08 am

That Tyrrell's sounds stunning. I've never seen that particular bottling before in retail - do you know if it's one of those cellar door exclusives or just a really low production wine?
no avatar
User

David Lole

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:49 am

Canberra, Australia

Re: WTN: A few tipples this week

by David Lole » Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:24 pm

Salil Benegal wrote:That Tyrrell's sounds stunning. I've never seen that particular bottling before in retail - do you know if it's one of those cellar door exclusives or just a really low production wine?

G'day Salil,

The HVD (Hunter River Distillery) vineyard (est. 1908) is one of the older vineyards of thr district, dry grown and planted entirely on its own rootstock. It was bought by Murray Tyrrell from Penfolds in 1982 and is located on sandy loam soils between two dry creek beds. Seemingly, production of this single vineyard label has been somewhat sporadic over the years with fruit going to other Tyrrell's product - my guess would be Vat 1- and the "Reserve" bottling only released in exceptionally good vintages. I've only ever seen 2 releases of the Reserve - 1995 & 1999, although the Tyrrell's website also lists 2001, 2002 and 2003 as HVD vintage releases. (I do remember seeing some HVD "Riesling" (Called Riesling, actually all Semillon) from the eighties - I think the vintage was either 1986 or1987) Not sure of the quantity produced, but I doubt if much of it goes O/S. Unfortunately, Tyrrell's don't seem to publish any detail on that subject. I'll contact one of my Tyrrell's sources and come back to you with any more info later.
Cheers,

David