The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Superb Touraine white: pre-phylloxera Romorantin vines

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

WTN: Superb Touraine white: pre-phylloxera Romorantin vines

by Tim York » Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:11 pm

Vin de Pays du Jardin de la France “Provignage” 2006 – Cépage Romorantin – Vigne pré-phylloxérique – Henry Marionnet – Alc. 13% - (approx. €40).

C: Quite pale yellow
N: Subdued at first but developing intensity and complexity as the wine (straight from cellar at 11°C) aired and warmed a little; includes notes of burnished apple, rhubarb, quince, honey and minerals.
P: Similarly subdued at first but developing breadth, depth, “gras” and length to frame beautifully the above aromas. A lovely wine which probably has some development potential; 17.5/20.

The back label provides some interesting historical information about the vines and grape variety together with a grain of French grandiloquence. Here is my coarse translation –
“Provignage
Pre-phylloxera vines planted in 1850 according to verbal evidence.
The Romorantin grape variety was introduced into our region by King François I in 1519. He had 80,000 vines brought from Burgundy to be planted around Romorantin. The king was planning to construct a great château there but he finally built it at Chambord. Experts have confirmed the great age of these vines, which have not been grafted since phylloxera only appeared in France after 1870. It is a very complex and absolutely exceptional “vin de garde”. It represents a page of our history and forms part of the heritage of our country.”

One question springs to mind. What has happened to the Romorantin grape in Burgundy?
Last edited by Tim York on Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: WTN: Superb Touraine white: pre-phylloxera Romorantin vines

by Rahsaan » Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:55 pm

Thanks for the note. I have heard good things about this wine, which is supposed to be Marionnet's best. I have never been impressed by his red wines but this is supposed to be in a class (and a price category) above.

Interesting bit about Romorantin coming from Burgundy!
no avatar
User

David Creighton

Rank

Wine guru

Wed May 24, 2006 10:07 am

ann arbor, michigan

by David Creighton » Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:19 pm

didn't see a vintage. i'm a little suspicious about these being 150 year old vines - not only beyond the useful life of most vines; but maybe the absolute life as well. surely they were propogated by rooting a stem at least once. anyway, i'll have to look for this wine - sounds fascinating. price?
david creighton
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:33 pm

David Creighton wrote:price?

I believe he mentioned 40euros in his original post.
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

by Oswaldo Costa » Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:45 pm

Interesting!
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:09 am

David Creighton wrote:didn't see a vintage. i'm a little suspicious about these being 150 year old vines - not only beyond the useful life of most vines; but maybe the absolute life as well.

There are very old vines growing and making wine. Langmeil, in Australia, make a single vineyard Shiraz from a block of vines planted in 1843 (166 years old) - see http://www.langmeilwinery.com.au/?id=19&wid=12

Jamie Goode mentioned the old Romorantin in an article for Fine Wine magazine about ungrafted vs grafted vines (see here http://www.finewinemag.com/docs/072_077_Then&Now.pdf )

Jamie accepts they are that old and thats good enough for me.

I've not had this particular Romorantin but the one from François Cazin is pretty good. See Robin's 30 second advisor item at http://www.wineloverspage.com/wineadvis ... 0221.phtml
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:29 am

David Creighton wrote:didn't see a vintage.

Apologies for the omission. 2006.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:37 am

Rahsaan wrote: I have never been impressed by his red wines but this is supposed to be in a class (and a price category) above.

I agree that this Provignage is in a different class from Marionnet's Gamay, which can be enjoyably fruity with more depth than most in the region but is held back by the limitations of the Gamay variety, particularly in Touraine. I think that his ungrafted Côt (Malbec) should, however, be something different but, alas, I have never seen it.

I would rate Provignage in the same class as fine Loire Chenin.

Peter May wrote:
David Creighton wrote:didn't see a vintage. i'm a little suspicious about these being 150 year old vines - not only beyond the useful life of most vines; but maybe the absolute life as well.

There are very old vines growing and making wine.

Thanks for those interesting links, Peter, particularly the fascinating article by Jamie.

Should I dump Decanter and take Fine Wine magazine instead, if this article is typical of the quality it is offering?
Tim York
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:00 am

Tim York wrote:
Thanks for those interesting links, Peter, particularly the fascinating article by Jamie.

Should I dump Decanter and take Fine Wine magazine instead, if this article is typical of the quality it is offering?

I couldn't possibly comment.

I expect Jamies website offers as much for less.

Jamie's scientific background definitely adds much weight to articles such as this, although I frequently disagree with his opinions.
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

by Oswaldo Costa » Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:01 am

Astor has this at $95. Ouch!
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:21 am

Go to this link on Jim Budd's blog http://jimsloire.blogspot.com/2008/10/s ... -2008.html and scroll down the page for pics of the 150 year old vines.
Tim York