The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2005 Menetou-Salon rouge, Les Renardières

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Anders Källberg

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:48 am

Stockholm, Sweden

WTN: 2005 Menetou-Salon rouge, Les Renardières

by Anders Källberg » Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:32 pm

2005 Menetou-Salon rouge, Les Renardières, Domaine Philippe Gilbert
Indeed quite a serendipitous wine, since I've learned not to expect much from the red Pinots from Sancerre and since Menetou-Salon is sort of the simpler cousin of Sancerre, how could I expect anything special from this wine. Well, in fact it was not entirely serendipitous, since one of the best bloggers in Sweden recently wrote a very positive note of it and this note tickled my curiosity enough to buy a couple of bottles to try it and indeed I have to give him right.

The colour is medium deep red, a little deeper than could be expected from a northern Pinot noir. The surprise starts when I sniff it. A fine, round and charming Pinot fruit jumps into my nose. Not overly aromatic, like a NZ Pinot, but with a definite pinosity. There is also a finely balanced note of toasted oak, that serves to back up the fruit and round of the wine in a fine way. Some spices, such as cloves and allspice are also present. On the palate, the wine has a fresh acidity, as one could expect, but not overly so. Again, the clever use of oak has helped to round off the taste and make it charming. Not much tannins and a bitterness that tends to become a bit too evident in the aftertaste. To a fillet of deer with Puy lentils and gratinated fennel, the bitterness was not any problem, but when the wine was drunk on its own, it was a little disturbing. A splendid wine, in particular considering its provenience. Probably not a wine to save, since I fear the bitterness might start dominating the fruit a bit too much, but delirious to drink within a year or so.

Menetou-Salon rouge, Domaine Philippe Gilbert.jpg

Does anyone else have any experience with this producer?

Cheers,
Anders
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Anders Källberg on Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: WTN: 2005 Menetou-Salon rouge, Les Renardières

by Rahsaan » Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:57 pm

How much did it cost?

I too have never been very excited by the red wines from Menetou-Salon. They are refreshing fun when in France and doing something casual, but I must admit that the idea of getting too ambitious with oak aging makes me skeptical. That said, maybe they have better terroir than their neighbors to support the style.
no avatar
User

Anders Källberg

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:48 am

Stockholm, Sweden

by Anders Källberg » Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:19 pm

Rahsaan wrote:How much did it cost?

I too have never been very excited by the red wines from Menetou-Salon. They are refreshing fun when in France and doing something casual, but I must admit that the idea of getting too ambitious with oak aging makes me skeptical. That said, maybe they have better terroir than their neighbors to support the style.

Right, Rahsaan, sorry, I forgot that bit. It cost SEK 199 which equals about EUR 18 and USD 24.

Furthermore, I tried to be clear in my note that while the oak was indeed a rather important and evident part of the wine's character, I felt it was very cleverly used and by no means in a too ambitious way. I can say that I am something of a "quercophobiac" that often dislikes the too evident use of new oak to season wine. In this case, however, I felt the oak beautifully integrated. Of course, others may get a rather different impression, as might I another day, in fact, since my feelings for oak seems to vary a bit from day to day, maybe depending on the mood I'm in for the moment.

Cheers,
A
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:26 pm

Anders Källberg wrote:Right, Rahsaan, sorry, I forgot that bit. It cost SEK 199 which equals about EUR 18 and USD 24.

Well, I guess that is reasonable and not too aggressive.

And I'm all for winemakers pushing the boundaries of our conventional wisdom concerning their appellation.