The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: A point of arrival

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:27 pm

St. Pete., FL & Sonoma, CA

WTN: A point of arrival

by Florida Jim » Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:14 pm

This time, both Diane and I went to Sonoma for the week.
The last couple of times out I’ve been alone and there to work – I used to travel well by myself – not so much anymore. Having my sweetie along and not much to do but play made a big difference.
The weather was striking; unprecedented for January, I am told. And just as we were leaving, it started to rain – one could almost here the farmers sigh.
Among many delights, a stop at Ubuntu in Napa, the new vegetarian restaurant, was great fun. Diane is a vegetarian and I am eclectic so it was no imposition. ‘Had a bottle of the 2007 Tempier, Rosé which went quite well with the fare, sat at the bar, chatted with everyone around us and came away feeling satisfied but not in the least bit stuffed. We both really enjoyed this place.
A lunch at Don Giovani with Lou, Betty Lou, Hoke, Roxie and Bree was a chance to renew friendships and eat well. We also had a little wine, including the 2006 Tiefenbrunner, Kerner, which seems to have more flavors than most white wines, a fine old 1985 A. Conterno, Barolo (I’m sorry, I don’t recall the vineyard designation) and a bottle of the 1999 Navarro, Pinot Noir Méthode à l’Ancienne which, for me, stole the show. This wine has developed very delicate and nuanced secondary characteristics, is perfectly balanced, texturally silken and is showing at peak. ‘One of the most impressive CA pinots I’ve tasted. There were other wines on the table but I was more interested in the conversation.
We eat often at the Fig Café in Glen Ellen but this time we also had lunch at the Girl and the Fig in Sonoma – charming place, good food and a pleasant surroundings. The more time I spend on the square in Sonoma the more I want to.
We also had a chance to taste our 2008 syrah lots and the skin-fermented sauvignon that I am making and they seem to be progressing well. To my taste, much better than when I left them to come home in November.
And then there was one perfect evening up on Moon Mountain with friends, laughter, food, wine and a really stunning long-range sunset view.
Wine country is so damn beautiful.
Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: A point of arrival

by David M. Bueker » Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:57 pm

I've always liked those Navarro l'Ancienne bottlings. I drank my last one about 8 months ago. When some cellar space opens up they might be a good thing to get more of to fill things back up again.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:27 pm

St. Pete., FL & Sonoma, CA

by Florida Jim » Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:19 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:I've always liked those Navarro l'Ancienne bottlings. I drank my last one about 8 months ago. When some cellar space opens up they might be a good thing to get more of to fill things back up again.

You know, I went and bought the Deep End pinots thinking that they would make the long haul better. I was wrong.
They still taste like they always did; the l'Ancienne's are developing and becoming much more what I want in a mature pinot - and in my lifetime, which is big as far as I'm concerned.
And they're still under $30.
I have underappreciated these guys too long.
Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:52 pm

Florida Jim wrote:
David M. Bueker wrote:I've always liked those Navarro l'Ancienne bottlings. I drank my last one about 8 months ago. When some cellar space opens up they might be a good thing to get more of to fill things back up again.

You know, I went and bought the Deep End pinots thinking that they would make the long haul better. I was wrong.
They still taste like they always did; the l'Ancienne's are developing and becoming much more what I want in a mature pinot - and in my lifetime, which is big as far as I'm concerned.
And they're still under $30.
I have underappreciated these guys too long.

You're not the only one, Jim, and frankly I'm happy for the situation. It seems that Navarro gets more respect for their whites, especially the sweet ones, than their Pinot Noir, but it was a Navarro Pinot Noir upstairs at Chez Panisse that started Jean on her path of Pinotphilia. We've purchased a lot of the L'Ancienne over the years, but I have a hard time keeping it in the cellar... it's just too damn nice young. Right now, I think that we only have the '04 remaining, having consumed the '99 long ago :cry: Good to hear about it vis-a-vis the Deep End, as we're too cheap to buy the latter.

Mark Lipton