The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Question: Zinc and Wine

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

Question: Zinc and Wine

by Redwinger » Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:04 pm

I was mentioning to a friend that I had been in another one of my "wine slumps" where nothing tastes really exciting. During the conversation, he mentioned to avoid Zinc (among other things) as it adversely impacts the senses of taste and smell. I had never heard this before and wondering if any of the chemists/physicians, or Holiday Inn Express customers here would care to offer their thoughts.

Bill

PS: I am not a zincoholic.
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Matt Richman

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:16 pm

Brooklyn, NY

Re: Question: Zinc and Wine

by Matt Richman » Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:19 pm

I use zinc tablets whenever I have a cold coming on. It dramatically changes my taste perceptions for an hour or so.
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:37 pm

While I'm not the chemist/physician, or Holiday Inn Express customer you are seeking, I want to indicate my agreement with Matt. I have experienced taste/smell issues after taking a flavored zinc drop. I am confidant that it was not the flavoring of the drop (cherry, I think) but the zinc itself. I've even read that some cold remedies involving zinc can have a permanent and negative effect on taste and smell.
no avatar
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:32 pm

Indeed true that zinc will impact negatively on the sense of taste, even when using zinc ointment on other parts of the body. Also to be distinctly avoided if one wants the palate to be intact over the next hour or two - eucalyptus drops, the aroma of steaming artichokes, exposure too close to tasting of gasoline and, of course, many perfumes and anti-shave lotions.
no avatar
User

Norm N

Rank

Cellar rat

Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:58 pm

by Norm N » Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:54 pm

Great information...I`ll be sure to bring my zinc supplements with me when I go to someone`s house where I know that really mediocre wine is going to be served...

Norm
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:12 pm

Red, a friend suffered from a serious loss of his ability to taste. His doctor put him on a course of zinc therapy and he reported good results after a month or so. Looking quickly, there are a number of studies confirming the effectiveness of zinc supplements in serious cases. (We had a long thread on this general subject some time ago when a friend of Jenise lost his sense of taste.) Example below.

On the other hands, there are reports (and product liability lawyers) who claim nasal sprays with zinc can harm the ability to taste; see http://www.yourlawyer.com/topics/overview/Zicam

On a personal level, oysters, which are high in zinc, always make the rest of my meal taste better -- although oysters could easily be my entire meal, frankly. :)

Best, Bob

Healthnotes Newswire (December 8, 2005)—People who suffer from a loss of taste sensation may benefit from supplementing with the mineral zinc, reports the Journal of Dental Research (2005;84:35–8).

By Kimberly Beauchamp, ND

Cells located in the taste buds on the tongue and on the roof of the mouth carry messages to the brain about the taste of different substances. These cells are constantly replaced as they become old or damaged. Taste is also influenced by the sense of smell. For example, it is difficult to taste foods when the nose is obstructed, as during an episode of the common cold.

Dysgeusia—an impairment of taste function that can range from a distorted sensation of taste to a complete loss of taste—can be caused by upper respiratory tract infection, hormonal changes, tobacco smoke, or nasal polyps. Certain medications, like the blood pressure–lowering drug captopril (Capoten) and antibiotics such as metronidazole (Flagyl), may also cause an altered sensation of taste. Sometimes, the cause of dysgeusia is unknown; this is called idiopathic dysgeusia.

Loss of taste can decrease the pleasure in eating and lead to a loss of social contact, weight changes, and depressed mood. Because taste disorders may be confused with those related to smell, a doctor who specializes in diseases of the ears, nose, and throat (an otolaryngologist) should be consulted to make an appropriate diagnosis.

Zinc is an essential mineral needed for wound repair, healthy immune function, and proper growth. Oysters are the most abundant food source of zinc; meat, fortified cereals, beans, and wheat germ also contain high amounts of the nutrient. Inadequate zinc intake can lead to taste dysfunction.

The new study investigated the use of zinc in the treatment of idiopathic dysgeusia in 50 people. They received either 140 mg of zinc gluconate per day (providing 20 mg of elemental zinc) for three months or a placebo. Taste tests measured taste function before and after treatment, and the people rated the severity of their dysgeusia. Tests were also given to assess mood changes and depression that may be related to taste impairment.

Taste sensation improved significantly in the zinc group compared with the placebo group. In addition, 50% of the people in the zinc group rated their dysgeusia as improved, compared with only 25% of the people receiving placebo. Depression also improved significantly in the zinc group; there were no such changes in the placebo group. Zinc treatment was not associated with any adverse effects.

Previous studies have shown that zinc may play a role in the regeneration of taste buds. The new study suggests that this important nutrient may help improve taste sensation in people with dysgeusia.
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:06 pm

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:56 am

Not to mention the fact that postmortems on men who died of/with prostate cancer showed very little zinc in their prostates.

And I'm with you, Bob, on making oysters the entire meal.
Rex solutus est a legibus - NOT