The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2 base level whites do ok in the cellar

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: 2 base level whites do ok in the cellar

by Dale Williams » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:49 pm

Monday we had "chinese Chicken" (poached chicken drizzled with hot peanut oil, sesame, scallions, etc) with rice and a salad. A sentimental dish for us, and we usually go with the grape we had the first time we shared, Gewurztraminer. This time it's the 1999 Zind Humbrecht Gewurztraminer. This is just the base Gewurz, no designation, and God knows why I held this so long. When I remove capsule, I think for a second it has an artificial cork, but it's just a wax cap. Is it alive? Why yes. I no longer buy any ZH, but generally prefer wines from the aromatic varieties. This is a fairly classic Gewurz- slightly oil, lychee and peach fruit, ginger and mineral. Ok acidity, only the slightest hint of RS. I can't say I found it exciting, but it filled its niche well. Certainly worth the $15 I paid back in the day. B

Tonight we had another white that I wondered about as I opened. With a Madhur Jaffrey recipe for shrimp with peas and parsley (with turmeric, garlic, and ginger) and rice with spinach, I opted for the 2001 Prager "Steinriegl" Riesling Federspiel (Wachau). Hmm, didn't really intentionally mean to keep this in cellar, I usually drink Federspiel right on release. Again, it's fine. Bone dry, lemon curd and spiced peaches, nice length, developing some petrol notes. Not the most concentrated or complex Austrian Riesling, but quite pleasurable. B/B+

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.