The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Latest neighborhood tasting "Mixed Case"

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: Latest neighborhood tasting "Mixed Case"

by Jenise » Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:24 pm

We decided to literally mix things up a bit at our latest neighborhood tasting by doing a blind "Mixed Case" and asking our members to try to guess which wine was which. Each guest was supplied a list of the wines and a list of typical characteristics by grape. Only two out of 63 tasters got all six right (including moi). Figuring that it made no particular sense to rank the wines, we didn't have the usual voting but we did poll the group for their favorite. Though every wine had a fan, the first three wines took 70% of the votes. In order:

2006 Nelms Road Merlot, Washington
Blackberry and blueberry fruit with hints of mocha. Vibrant and full-bodied with good structure and some elegance, this one was widely (and understandably) believed to be the cabernet. Great value for $21.

2005 Januik "Lewis Vineyard" Syrah, Walla Walla, Washington
Dense, concentrated plum and blackberry flavors with some violets. White pepper develops. Distinctive, balanced and very new world but in all the right ways, a pleasure and my #1. $30.00

2005 Chateau Montelena Zinfandel, California
I've long been a fan of Montelena's zins but this disappointed me. It had good spice, but the fruit component was more dried cranbery and strawberry jam than fresh 'zinberry', and it failed to have the claret-y tones that have distinguished past bottlings I've tasted. I'd say it's already past peak. Guessing what it was and having personal expectations well above what I found in my glass, I rated it last. But my objections aside, the group loved it.

2006 Seghesio Sangiovese, California
Minerally cherry and raspberry fruit with sweet cream. Not a bad wine at all, in fact quite pleasant, but nothing really set it apart from the pack. $26.

2003 Forgeron Cabernet Sauvignon, Washington
A ripe, nicely structured cabernet from a good producer in a warm vintage, this wine showed very well. I don't understand why it didn't do better.
$25.

2004 LAN Reserva Tempranillo, Spain
The one import but made in a modern style and from a rich year, we thought this wine might stand out among domestics, but I don't know if it did or not--the bottle that was poured at my table was corked and I didn't get to taste it. From the description of others, though, it had an oddly out of place green streak amid black fruit with some licorice tones. Just, overall, not very friendly.

Before the tasting, we set out three whites for guests to self-pour. There was a French Macon whose name I don't remember that I found nodescript, an 07 Man Chenin Blanc from South Africa that I found a bit sweet and plastic, and a sensational 2007 Santa Rita 120 Sauvignon Blanc that totally rocked for $8--bright lemon and grapefruit with the picture balance of green herbs and acidity.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov