The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Positive notes on the Janitor!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

Positive notes on the Janitor!

by Bob Ross » Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:05 pm

Wine Web sites suck up hours of time. Joyfully traipsing from one click to the next, each page ticks off another five or 10 minutes. Next thing I know, it's midnight and the entire night is wasted. Well, not wasted, per se, since I did absorb tidbits along the way, but my patient pile of laundry in the closet remains undisturbed. My favorite wine sites encourage interaction -- with a database or with intelligent (ideally educated) contributors or posters, and maintain interest with constantly changing content. But how to find the ones that fit my ideal mold? Google spits out more than 235,000,000 Web sites when entering the keyword "wine," an overwhelming number that exemplifies this intimidating, snobbery-laden topic. But it's also a breeding ground for umpteen sites hawking wine and worthless hacks regurgitating inaccurate information. Nevertheless, in my midnight travels I have stumbled across some gems.

Wineloverspage.com

Created by veteran wine writer Robin Garr, Wine Lovers Page embodies a reverent homage to the wine-obsessed. The site features hundreds of wine reviews, numerous columns and blogs from all over the Web (some talented, some not so much) -- and, for those who like to speak their mind, densely populated online discussion groups. Garr is fiercely connected to his audience and to wine trends, firmly down-to-earth and extremely knowledgeable. One of my favorite sites and recommended highly for those seeking basic wine education and those wanting to tap into their inner wine geek.

Taylor Eason

http://charlotte.creativeloafing.com/gy ... oid=559008

:) :) :)
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

Re: Positive notes on the Janitor!

by Bob Henrick » Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:30 pm

Bob Ross wrote:Wine Web sites suck up hours of time. Joyfully traipsing from one click to the next, each page ticks off another five or 10 minutes. Next thing I know, it's midnight and the entire night is wasted. Well, not wasted, per se, since I did absorb tidbits along the way, but my patient pile of laundry in the closet remains undisturbed. My favorite wine sites encourage interaction -- with a database or with intelligent (ideally educated) contributors or posters, and maintain interest with constantly changing content. But how to find the ones that fit my ideal mold? Google spits out more than 235,000,000 Web sites when entering the keyword "wine," an overwhelming number that exemplifies this intimidating, snobbery-laden topic. But it's also a breeding ground for umpteen sites hawking wine and worthless hacks regurgitating inaccurate information. Nevertheless, in my midnight travels I have stumbled across some gems.

Hi Bob, I'll go read the link in a minute or two, but I wanted first to stop and say hello! I know you don't come in the door here very often, but I imagine that you do lurk here often. Want to say that you are missed, by me, and I bet by many. Ok, now I'll go read the link.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:54 pm

Thanks, Bob. I'm not drinking much wine these days so rarely have anything to contribute. But it's still great fun to stop by and see what folks are up to. Best Bob
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:07 pm

I will add my hello to Mr. H's and just ask Mr. Ross to see if he can help out with the medieval grapes thread. It was made for Bob's intellectual skills!
Thank you for the heads up on the positive quotes on Mr. Garr aka"The Boss".
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:52 pm

Bob, let me add my own "glad to see you." That was a nice thing for Taylor to say ... he's with Creative Loafing in Atlanta, I believe, and that column was presumably run in Charlotte and a few other Southeastern cities that publish local editions of this regional alternative weekly.

Yesterday was actually a double red-letter publicity day at WineLoversPage Central, as I also got word of selection by Italian Wine Institute for a Distinguished Service Award. It looks like I'm one among a cast of hundreds, or dozens at least, but it's good to be included, particularly since it appears to be a compendium of all the "big name" wine writers, and it makes me feel good - if a bit of an impostor - to be counted among that number.

http://www.italianmade.com/vino2009/awards.honorees.cfm
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:18 pm

Thanks, James. I did a pretty superficial job, but it was fun to run unexpectedly into a surprising word lover (and one not so suprising) on that little intellectual journey. My preliminary results are in that thread.

Congrats, Robin -- the Italian honors are always welcome. Look what Parker did in France! :)

Best, Bob
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:51 pm

Congrats Robin. The only other person on the list that I have met is Burton Notarius - Premier Wines Corp., who, I believe, is Ed Draves' boss. 30 years ago he personally carried a case of '75 Lafite to my car in the parking lot. 8)
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:48 pm

Congrats to Robin, and good to see Bob drop by!
no avatar
User

Art Morris

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:53 am

West Virginia

by Art Morris » Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:45 pm

Congrats,Robin !
We're not here for a long time,
we're here for a GOOD time !
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:39 am

So with the Italian award are we to call Robin the Godfather or just Dom Garr? :roll: :mrgreen:
Congratulations Robin!!!! I can't think of anyone who deserves it more.
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Slight Thread Drift Here....

by TomHill » Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:23 pm

At one of the early HdR's, Chester Osbourne (d'Arenberg) was presenting one of his wines called "The Custodian".
BobLindquist asked a question about the wine and then complimented Chester for having the hootspah to name
one of his wines "The Janitor". Brought a big laugh from the audience and this very puzzled look from Chester
until the panel moderator explained the US usage of that term.

Congrats, Robin...nice writeup and well deserved.

Tom
no avatar
User

Mark Kogos

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:16 am

Sydney Australia

Re: Slight Thread Drift Here....

by Mark Kogos » Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:05 pm

TomHill wrote:At one of the early HdR's, Chester Osbourne (d'Arenberg) was presenting one of his wines called "The Custodian".
BobLindquist asked a question about the wine and then complimented Chester for having the hootspah to name
one of his wines "The Janitor". Brought a big laugh from the audience and this very puzzled look from Chester
until the panel moderator explained the US usage of that term.

Congrats, Robin...nice writeup and well deserved.

Tom

As one who also lives down under and far away, are you able to share the meaning behind the US usage of Janitor?

Mark
Miss dhem Saints.
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

Re: Slight Thread Drift Here....

by Howie Hart » Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:21 pm

Mark Kogos wrote:As one who also lives down under and far away, are you able to share the meaning behind the US usage of Janitor?

Mark
Scroll up to Robin Garr's post in this thread and look at his avatar.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Clarifying...

by TomHill » Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:32 pm

Mark Kogos wrote:As one who also lives down under and far away, are you able to share the meaning behind the US usage of Janitor?
Mark

In the US, we use the term "custodian" as one who has custody/responsibility for something. Probably the same usage as yours, Mark. We also refer to the "janitor" as one who cleams up trash and stuff in a building, often regarded as a low-level/menial job
(my janitor in my bldg is one of the best and strikes me as just as bright as any other LosAlamos guy). In order to give the janotor's job more cachet/prestige, it is politically more correct to refer to them as a custodian.
Tom