The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Riesling Dinner in Sydney

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Mark Kogos

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:16 am

Sydney Australia

Riesling Dinner in Sydney

by Mark Kogos » Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:24 am

With summer in full flight and so many of my friends encouraging me to explore German Rieslings, I recently decided it was time to have a good crack at getting to understand a bit more about the stuff. So with notebook in hand I headed off to the VWC Riesling dinner last night at Bistrode, Sydney. It was a well put together evening with an interesting range of wines. The following are my personal observations with some input from the diners around me.

On arrival

Vertigo 25GR Adelaide Hills Riesling 2008. Sweet honeysuckle nose, quinces on the palate, short finish with little acidity. Basically an off dry style and pleasant aperitif to start the evening.

2nd Bracket

Weingut Dr Loosen Bernkasteler Lay Riesling Kabinett 2007. Floral nose, dry finish limes and lemons flavours with a very very subtle underlying minerality. Apparently Lay is an old dialect word for slate and it just pecks through. Again a refreshing wine to accompany the Vertigo at the commencement of the meal.

Mac Forbes Strathbogie Ranges Single Vineyard Riesling RS9 2008. Flinty, shale, minerality, made very much in the Australian style with a sharp drop off of flavours at the back. Not really my style.

Grosset Springvale Clare Valley (Watervale) 2008. This is a wine I have been keen to try recently. Mineral like aromas. For the Riesling experts a statement of the obvious but there was a noticeable difference in bouquet between the Australian wines and the Germans, the former more steely, the later much more floral. (Nev no comments please). Green apples with that lovely additional complexity you expect from Grosset wines. Still really tightly wound and a wine to drink inside 4-5 years.

Domaine Josmeyer Riesling “Le Kottabe” 2006. The diner next to me summed up the bouquet on this perfectly, when he said it reminded him of an ammoniated brie. I have had this wine twice in the last week and it is a strange style to my way of thinking. Fulsome body with zesty red apples, it has a weird funky taste I just do not enjoy. By no means an elegant wine.

Weingut JL Wolf Jesuitengarten Grosse Gewachse Spatlese 2007. In contrast to the prior bottle this was a lovely wine with excellent depth of palate and quince and apples flavours. My one reservation about the wine is that it is sealed under cork and apparently nearly half the bottles for the tasting were rejected upon being opened.

3rd Bracket

Domaine Albert Mann Riesling Grand Cru Schlossberg 2007. Shale/Schist nose, I was reminded of the white peaches and grapefruit my grandmother used to grow. Lovely complexity and IMO great potential. Still tightly wound, I will throw some into the cellar and revisit in a few years when it emerge an elegant wine.

Gunter Wittman Westhofen Morstein Riesling Trocken Grosse Gewache 2007. Fresh nose, it opens with yellow nectarines and finishes with butterscotch. Great potential and another wine destined for the pool room.

4th Bracket

Weingut Heymann-Lowenstein Riesling Schieferterrassen 2007. Biodynamic production, wild yeast ferment. Not elegant in the classic sense but rather a funky wine with interesting complexity. I found a cornucopia of fruit, nectarines, peaches even rock melon. Another wine bound for the cellar.

Weingut Dr Burklin-Wolf Riesling Wachenheimer Altenburg 2007. Serviced as part of 2 bottle flight with the prior wine and grouped together due to their funkiness. Another interesting wine but my preference was for the prior wine.

5th Bracket

Donnhoff Norheimer Kirschheck Riesling Spatlese 2007. A floral nose, reminding me of a peach tea I once used to drink. On the palate I found apricots and a lovely length. I would have remembered more of this wine if I had not consummed so many of the prior wine.

Also included Weingut Dr Loosen Wehiener Sonnenuhr Riesling Spatlese 2007 & Mitchelton Blackwood Park Botrytis Riesling 2006

Overall an excellent evening, especially for the novices in the room.
Last edited by Mark Kogos on Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Miss dhem Saints.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: Riesling Dinner in Sydney

by David M. Bueker » Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:04 pm

Excellent event.

I wonder how they snuck the Donnhoff Kirschheck in there since the rest of the tasting was focused on dry wines.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Mark Kogos

Rank

Ultra geek

Sydney Australia

by Mark Kogos » Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:21 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Excellent event.

I wonder how they snuck the Donnhoff Kirschheck in there since the rest of the tasting was focused on dry wines.

Actually the wines arrived in flights with the various courses of the meal and I have gone back up to break it into the brackets. There were 2 other dessert wine, one from Aus which was average and the other I lost interest in but which I have now included. I really should have written up the notes with the food but just writting up those notes with the old 2 finger type took long enough. I also did not think much of the food despite the reputation of the venue and hence thought it best to let that aspect of the evening go through to the keeper.
Miss dhem Saints.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:05 pm

That makes more sense, though Spatlese is hardly dessert wine. :D
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Andrew Burge

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:21 am

Brisbane Australia

by Andrew Burge » Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:17 am

Mark, did UWC say where they got the Kirscheck Spatlese? My understanding was no Kirschecks (or Felsenbergs) got into Australia from the 07 vintage,

cheers

Andrew
no avatar
User

Mark Kogos

Rank

Ultra geek

Sydney Australia

by Mark Kogos » Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:01 am

Andrew Burge wrote:Mark, did UWC say where they got the Kirscheck Spatlese? My understanding was no Kirschecks (or Felsenbergs) got into Australia from the 07 vintage,

cheers

Andrew

no but i brought a few today along with a couple of examples of the third flight to see who they go in the years ahead. I figure if i keep throwing this stuff in the cellar by the time I really understand it, i may have some stuff worth drinking.
Miss dhem Saints.