The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Some 2001 Cali Cabs and More!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

WTN: Some 2001 Cali Cabs and More!

by Brian K Miller » Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:06 pm

We are drinking through some adolescent/middle aged Cali Cabs over the past several days. Some could wait, but they were showing so well this weekend I have no regrets!

2001 Young Ridge "Ridge Top Estate". From immediately south of Napa City (off Thompson Road near Brown Valley-if you have ever caught a glimpse at night of an illuminated smiley face overlooking 29 near Imola Avenue-that is the estate) This was a beauty of a California Cab, with currant and anise fruit I could only describe as piercingly pure. Elegant mouthfeel, with fully resolved tannins that yet exhibit some nice "fuzzyness" that I find appealing. Alcohol is balanced, and there is certainly some leather and tobacco notes as well, but it is the beauty of the crystal clear fruit that stands out. I would also note that this fruit is not jammy or cloying in any way. Beau suggested that this was the best wine I had shared at WineStyles. 93 points.

2001 Arger Martucci Estate Cabernet Sauvigon. From Saint Helena (Inglewood Avenue near 29) This was another nice cab. Similar flavor profile, anise and black currant. Richer than the Young Ridge, without that crystaline purity. Still, a very, very nice Cabernet. 90 points.

2001 Madonna Estate Rutherford Cabernet Sauvignon. Heat damage, as the cork had some intrusion? Less fruit here, but the wine still offered a very nice mouth feel, with a hint of green pepper and a very evident earthyness. Maybe the mythical Rutherford Dust? This was actually quite "Old World" in style and very nice. Still....that lovely fruit in the Young Ridge wins out this week. 88 points.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Michael Malinoski

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:11 pm

Sudbury, MA

Re: WTN: Some 2001 Cali Cabs and More!

by Michael Malinoski » Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:34 pm

Brian, thanks for the Arger-Martucci Cabernet note. It sounds pretty solid. I've been meaning to sample more of their wines for a while now. An acquaintance in town invited me to a party where I met the son of one of the owners (who was also an alum of my college) and he gave me a little bit of background on the venture that got me interested (that, and a few tastes of their wines being served at the party).

-Michael
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

Re: WTN: Some 2001 Cali Cabs and More!

by Brian K Miller » Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:41 pm

This was my favorite wine of their lineup a couple years ago. My only warning would be their neighbors "dissed" the new vintage. I have not tried it, so I have to withold judgement, but that is my only caveat. I would, fo course, def. recommend this 2001.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach