The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Emilio Lustau Jerez-Xérès-Sherry Palo Cortado Península

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

SteveG

Rank

Wine geek

Sat Apr 12, 2008 2:28 pm

WTN: Emilio Lustau Jerez-Xérès-Sherry Palo Cortado Península

by SteveG » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:23 pm

My second Palo Cortado, I find this stuff like the ultimate adult dessert. Drunk over the period of a week, about 2 ounces at a serving. Poured cold and gently warmed to room temperature while sipping. Beautiful transparent honey color, concentrated caramel, nuts and toffee at the nose, adding molasses and honey on the palate. The first few days this was accompanied by a slightly searing acidity when cold and almost overpowering fragrance of fruit cake when warmer. After a few days it became calmer, a total concentrated treat of confectionery flavors, but without the sweetness! Huge and long finish, overpowering anything else put into the mouth for at least a couple of minutes. I am captivated, despite this obviously being unfriendly to most foods; probably best with full-flavored cheese or sausage, or perhaps a dense spice cake. What a ride for US$20!
93 points
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:33 pm

Auckland, NZ

Re: WTN: Emilio Lustau Jerez-Xérès-Sherry Palo Cortado Península

by Sue Courtney » Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:49 am

Sherry is such an under appreciated drink - and you show how heavenly it can be when appreciated in small amounts over a period of time.
Long live Lustau. May they continue to provide us with these beauties.
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:55 am

Thanks for this timely note! The local regional paper (San Francisco Chronicle) had a feature story Friday on Sherry!

Until this weekend, I had never experienced the wonders of Sherry. At Terroir Wine Bar, there was a young Spanish man there who was showing some of his company's range-I remember this amazing utterly dry Sherry that tasted like liquid walnuts! Then, last night, at Wine Styles, we sipped through much of a bottle of Bodegas Baco Dio??? Oloroso! Yum!
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:11 pm

Steve, we're working our way through a bottle of this too--my hubby loves sherry, and this was one of two Palo Cortados I gave him for Christmas and the better, by far, of the two (the other being a Barbadillo, IIR that name correctly). You captured it perfectly. We tend to sip it after dinner with a bit of sliced comte, tart green apples, and almonds.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:22 pm

I adore Sherry and PC is perhaps my favourite style - especially when made fully dry. But there are some very lovable slightly sweet ones, too, like the Osborne PAP. I have found the Península a bit soft to my tastes, however - certainly not bad, but lacking a bit in the intensity I hope to see. Sherries in general are hugely underrated as they can cause some of the most heart-breaking love affairs of wine.
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:20 pm

Otto Nieminen wrote:I adore Sherry and PC is perhaps my favourite style - especially when made fully dry. But there are some very lovable slightly sweet ones, too, like the Osborne PAP. I have found the Península a bit soft to my tastes, however - certainly not bad, but lacking a bit in the intensity I hope to see. Sherries in general are hugely underrated as they can cause some of the most heart-breaking love affairs of wine.

I wonder if our bottles of Peninsula were different--I'd group this bottle we're drinking now among the most intense sherries I've ever tasted.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov