The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Great Wine Deal!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

Great Wine Deal!

by Sam Platt » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:53 am

We went to the wine mart on Saturday to pick up some bottles of an "every day" Cal Cab. To my surprise they had a case only deal on 2005 BV Coastal Estates Cabernet Sauvignon for $38. I'm not a huge fan of the BV Cabs, but that was too good of a price to pass up.
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

Re: Great Wine Deal!

by James Roscoe » Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:00 pm

I bought some 1999 J. Vidal Fleury Cote Rotie for $34.99 a bottle. It seemed like too good a deal to pass up as well.
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:30 pm

Very good as well, James. I have the 2000 version of that same Cote Rotie, and I think that I gave about $55 for it.
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:50 pm

The store over buys Cote Rotie. They have a bunch of 2003s sitting out there for $75. I will wait for those to drop too. People don't know that Cote Rotie is as good as Syrah gets.
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:48 pm

James,

I really like the Domaine Durand "Les Côteaux" from Saint Joseph. It's a very nice syrah for about $22 here in the US. It's worth trying if you happen to come across it.
Sam

no avatar
User

OW Holmes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:57 pm

Grand Rapids, MI

by OW Holmes » Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:48 pm

Sam, or anyone for that matter, I am offered a "deal" on BV George de Latour 1992 at 44.95 a bottle. I tasted it, and I like it, but have no idea what the price really should be. Anybody know????
-w
-OW
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:51 pm

James Roscoe wrote:I bought some 1999 J. Vidal Fleury Cote Rotie for $34.99 a bottle. It seemed like too good a deal to pass up as well.

Where do you shop, James?
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:17 pm

Sam, or anyone for that matter, I am offered a "deal" on BV George de Latour 1992 at 44.95 a bottle. I tasted it, and I like it, but have no idea what the price really should be. Anybody know????

OW,

That looks like a very good price. The best price I was able to find for the '92 BV GdL was $70. Pricing in the $90 range was common at Winezap.
Sam

no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:26 pm

albany, ny

by Salil » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:22 pm

I just smashed any thoughts of cutting back my wine buying thanks to a giant sale of German Rieslings at Flickinger.

Bought 98 JJ Prum Wehlener Sonnenuhr Spatlese ($25), 01 Leitz Rudesheimer Berg Schlossberg Spatlese (15), 98 Leitz Rudesheimer Berg Auslese (15), 01 Schaefer Graacher Himmelreich Spatlese (25), 01 Christoffel Urziger Wurzgarten Auslese* (25) and a few other goodies to keep me in acid-and-mineral heaven a while longer. Loving the deals out there right now!

(BTW - tried that '00 Vidal Fleury Cote Rotie (I think I had the Cote Blonde) recently - wonderful wine)