The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: (Mostly) 1989 Dinner - Trying to Trick the Tasters

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

WTN: (Mostly) 1989 Dinner - Trying to Trick the Tasters

by Bill Spohn » Sun Jan 18, 2009 3:04 pm

These are notes from a dinner with friends intended to feature wines of the 1980s and to play about with food and wine combinations.

I started them out with a bubbly for sipping while settling in and chatting, the only out of theme wine of the evening.

Blue Mountain Brut – this BC winery makes some of the best domestic bubbly, and this basic Brut ($24C) is reliable and pleasant. I believe they use chard and probably some pinot blanc or pinot gris, and it winds up having pretty good mousse quite good fruit and very good balance, finishing nice and dry. Hard to find sometimes – usually sold only in private wine stores and at the winery. This was meant only as a palate calibrator and was served without food.

1989 J. Lasalle Champagne Blanc de Blancs Brut – I wanted a mature bubbly to contrast with the first wine and I’d recently had this in the 1990 vintage. Showing some colour, a toasty mature nose, and (a great descriptor applied by another taster) a baked apple on palate. I like to play about with food combinations and as it was my dinner, I took the opportunity to do so. I served this wine with a small mound of rinsed (don’t want too much salt) capers, a Parmesan tuille, and a small branch of fresh thyme dipped in a nice spicy EVOO, refrigerated and then anointed with sea salt which is intended to just be sucked, although several seemed to have some leaves missing from the thyme by the time they were finished. These flavours matched well with the mature Champagne.

1989 Ch. d’Arche – here was the first principal assumed by many – you can’t go from sweet to dry again (the fact that they’ve done this in France for a century or two is usually ignored). This mature Sauternes had quite a deep colour, and the nose was caramel, honey and some botrytis. It worked well with Cou d’oie stuffed with lightly truffled foie d’oie (I cheated and used a tinned pâté that I had brought back from the Dordogne last year. I like the flavours of the goose liver, but we usually only see duck preparations in North America.

Now the task was to get their palates back in shape for dry red wines. I tried a small salad of English cucumber ribbons (mandolin or hand peeler required) and fresh cilantro dressed with a rice wine vinegar and Nuoc Mam (a Thai fish sauce) with ginger juice (grate fresh ginger and then press out the juice), with black sesame seeds on top. It seemed to do the trick.

1989 Chante Perdrix Chateauneuf de Pape – I served this in a Burgundy balloon, both because I think that shape complements a mature wine of this sort, as well as in an attempt at misdirection for my blind tasters. I was unable to trick Rhone-Boy (a pseudonym) who nailed it as a Rhone. It showed medium colour (bit darker than a Burg of similar age, but definitely the colour of a well aged Rhone) had only a slight hint of funkiness with the proverbial Asian spices, was long and smooth with good acidity and only soft tannins. Ready to roll and a good one. I looked this up in Parker (I most value his reviews of Rhones and Bordeaux) and back in the days before high scores became almost routine, he awarded this a 94 – I think he nailed this one, and it has exceeded his estimated drinking window. This is why I cellar some CNduP for the long haul.

Food match was quails stuffed with goat cheese and rosemary and then wrapped with smoked bacon, and roasted (at 500 F. so use the timer!). Accompaniment was a leek with a cream sauce with bacon and toasted hazelnuts.

Next up was the main course and I wanted to try and change up a little by varying the vintage and adding what I hoped would be a ringer.

1988 Ch. Pichon Baron – I went through all sorts of mental gymnastics trying to come up with a Bordeaux to match with the next wine. I thought of a 1990 or 1989, or even a lesser wine from 1986 (I had a Meyney sitting out for a week or so). Then one of the guests brought a 1966 Pichon Baron to one of my lunches and the idea of doing that wine in the same vintage as the other came to mind. For me the nose on this was instant classic claret, with some lead pencil, cassis and very good fruit for this vintage, with elegance, balance and length. Nothing lacking here. Oddly enough, some sceptics (they were pretty sure they were being tricked but didn’t know how, though this wine was perhaps American while the other was Bordeaux!

1988 Sassicaia – this was the cabernet I wanted to fool them with, and on at east a coupe it worked. The nose was not as immediately forthcoming, but opened with time in the glass. The cedar, spice and currant/cassis elements were compatible with Bordeaux expectations, and the wine showed excellent balance and a bit more or at least sweeter fruit than the Pichon did. It should also have a long life ahead as it just seems to be hitting stride now.

Food was a loin of lamb rolled in cumin, cinnamon, cloves, cardamom and aniseed, the seared briefly before being wrapped in phyllo pastry and cooked to be quite rare. I find the interplay of these flavours with red wines to be fascinating. The accompaniment here was a potato recipe I cribbed from Laura Calder (Food Network Canada) Thinly sliced potatoes marinated in cream, then layered in a container with each layer generously spiced with salt and pepper, and fresh rosemary and thyme. Cook for about 90 minutes and you get a very tasty tater stack you can slice into portions. One guest knew the recipe and opined that he just poured the cream on top and it was all absorbed but being the heart smart kind of guy I am, and having already perpetrated foie gras and a cream sauce on them, I restrained myself in this instance.

‘Dessert’ was cheese, mostly blue with Shropshire, Bleu d’Auvergne and Bleu de Bresse, but SWMBO had the brainstorm that as we had a nice Coulomierres intended to offer a little variety from the otherwise all-blue line up, and as we also had some left over phyllo pastry……so that’s what we served – baked Coulomierres in phyllo.

I needed a Port (another challenge to the popular opinion that you can’t do Port and Sauternes in the same dinner – I think you can, if you separate them well enough) to go with this and wanted to stick to my 1988/89 time frame theme. I found that the only Port I had from that vintage was a single quinta from Dow:

1989 Quinta do Bomfim Port – needed time to open up in the glass (I’d started us out with smaller Waterford traditional Port glasses, but Rhone-Boy took the first step of pouring it into a Reidel Bordeaux and that helped quite a bit). I hate drinking Port that hasn’t had enough time open – you always figure that if only you’d just opened it earlier it would have been that much better. I didn’t know this one that well so erred on the cautious side at about 6 hours in an open decanter, but judging by what it did in the glass it could even have taken more time. Very pleasant with excellent fruit, not too sweet and good ength. I didn’t get the same fruitcake impression as I had on the last bottle I opened about 8 years ago, and this nose seemed a bit riper. Decent juice all in all. Could have gone with 87 Malvedos but it was out of theme, or 86 do Tua (a Cockburns quinta) but I seem to have misplaced the case…..
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: WTN: (Mostly) 1989 Dinner

by Rahsaan » Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:23 pm

Seems like you had some good fun there.

Bill Spohn wrote:a small branch of fresh thyme dipped in a nice spicy EVOO, refrigerated and then anointed with sea salt which is intended to just be sucked

This is a fun idea. I've heard of similar things with other ingredients but not necessarily thyme. In your guests' defense, I guess those leaves can be quite delicate and easily come off when touched.
no avatar
User

Charles Weiss

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:47 pm

Boston

by Charles Weiss » Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:52 pm

Wow,
I'll travel from Boston to Vancouver anytime if you're cooking!
I'll definitely have to steal, i.e try some variation of, the caper and thyme caper.

As far as the wine, I quite agree that sweet wines are often a great match with first courses and no harm done to subsequent wines( I have smoked duck first course that I like to serve with late harvest alsatian or sweet Loire).

I loved the '89 Chante Perdrix, drank about a case and a half lasting until 2004. The 2001 reminds me of it a bit, or at least that's my hopeful impression.

Charles
Charles Weiss
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:31 am

Rahsaan wrote:This is a fun idea. I've heard of similar things with other ingredients but not necessarily thyme. In your guests' defense, I guess those leaves can be quite delicate and easily come off when touched.

No, these guys were intentionally gnawing them off - as I did as well, to find that the hrb went well with the wine that way.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:48 am

Bill Spohn wrote:
Rahsaan wrote:This is a fun idea. I've heard of similar things with other ingredients but not necessarily thyme. In your guests' defense, I guess those leaves can be quite delicate and easily come off when touched.

No, these guys were intentionally gnawing them off - as I did as well, to find that the hrb went well with the wine that way.

Well that is a different story!

Still, sounds like fun and an interesting pairing idea.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:00 pm

Charles Weiss wrote:Wow,
I'll travel from Boston to Vancouver anytime if you're cooking!
I'll definitely have to steal, i.e try some variation of, the caper and thyme caper.

Charles, eat your heart out--I was one of the lucky lucky guests!

So, my notes, after thanking Bill and SWMBO for an exemplary evening of wine and food:

Blue Mountain Brut At the time, Coop and I both agreed it was French in style but weren't sure it was French. It had some of the biscuity notions but though spare and seemingly no-dosage in style, possibly more fruit. It was really no surprise, then, when the wine was revealed to be this, a wine of exceptional quality and value produced by one of BC's cultiest--and most minimalistic--winemakers.

1989 J. Lasalle Champagne Blanc de Blancs Brut – This time we were certain it was French, could be no other, and both Dave and I went straight to the mid to late 80's. Where young champers can taste of yeast and apples, mature champers taste of baked bread or toast and baked apples, and this one had all that. Served with a great contrast of dressed thyme sprigs which I was supposed to just suck but denuded (I always eat the parsley, too), capers and a Parmesan tuille. A fabulous palate teaser of a course, something that could be called 'food foreplay'--we had something to put in our mouths, but we weren't really quite eating yet.

1989 Ch. d’Arche – Smelled at first of Pledge furniture polish to me (an aroma I happen to like), but with more time in the glass caramel, then honey and botrytis flavors emerged. The wine was very nice for its age and en pointe with its food counterpart, the goose neck stuffed with foie gras on toast. I was enjoying this so much, that I was eating with uncharacteristic slowness, so much so that at the point I was preparing my third and final toast for eating, I happened to look about and realize that the five others had all finished theirs and were staring at my last one like a bunch of vultures. I did not dare set it down!

Next was an intermezzo of cucumber strands with cilantro, a perfect palate cleanser.

1989 Chante Perdrix Chateauneuf de Pape Terrific leathery Chateneuf with all those plum-and-orange-peel mature grenache flavors, perfectly paired with goat cheese and rosemary stuffed quail that had a nicely infused, marinated flavor and delicious bacon wrapper as well as a solid log of cooked leek tiled with a cream sauce, bacon and as many whole, toasted philberts as it could carry. It was an excellent selection of poulty and vegetable in which the vegetable was a finely crafted dish in its own right and took back seat to no one.

Then on to a 1988 Pichon Baron and a 1988 Sassicaia. The guy to my left was certain that wine #1 was Californian because of the sweet nose. Well, I couldn't find that sweet nose--I had a glass that showed very little nose on #1 at all, and the palate was totally unsweet and very definitely Bordeauxish to me. It was wine #2 I was less certain of--it had, to my senses, the far sweeter nose with more give on the palate, and if one of the two was Californian then my nominations went opposite his, though I honestly did believe both to be Bordeaux with the second one from a riper vintage like 89 or 90. Good instincts, wrong conclusion, but no matter: both wines were gorgeous and a privilege to drink--you described them as I would, so I'll keep this short and go straight to the perfectly prepared lamb. You don't know this, but there's almost no food I'd rather eat when in Canada than lamb because Canadian lamb is so good. Never strong and gamey like here even in the middle of winter. And yours was as good as any I've had anywhere, expertly prepared. Great Potatoes Anna on the side, too.

Of course, the frivolity didn't end there, and a splendid cheese course followed with an 89 Dows Quinta do Bomfim. Coop and I both guessed 77 to 83 for vintage, then came up when you shook your head, with he finally nailing the 89. Maybe because of the viscosity (I got the second pour, so would have been near the top), or heck, maybe it was just the time of night, but I found the wine more youthful with subsequent splashes.

Fantastic food, wine and conversation: it doesn't get any better. Thanks again--and remember, we're going to be professional dinner guests here for a few months real soon so anytime you need a sous chef, just hollar. :)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov